Replacing a belt (arbor stuck in the guide holder)

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2014

Replacing a belt (arbor stuck in the guide holder)

Hi all,

This forum is awesome, and has gotten me most of the way towards replacing the belts on my BT3k. But I seem to be stuck; or rather the arbor is stuck inside the guide holder which is making it nearly impossible to reassible the arbor assemble with the motor while simultaneously walking on the (really tight) belts.

I'm guessing that if I can separate the arbor from the guide holder, then I can reassble the arbor and the motor, walk the belts on, and *then* put the guide holder back on.

Do I just need to reef on the guide holder with a hammer, or is there some trick to getting these apart?
  • mmcmac
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Bob
    Do I just need to reef on the guide holder with a hammer, or is there some trick to getting these apart?
    In addition to removing the four 10-24 screws (ref part #89) the two 8-32 screews (#85) also need to be removed as they thread into the bearing plate to secure the 6003 arbor bearing into the guide holder casting. I just dealt with this earlier today and in retrospect one possibility if it refuses to release is to train a heat gun on the guide holder casting. Repeated cautions taps on the arbor via a wooden block and hammer should work it loose. Verify clearance exists between the motor housing and the right cabinet panel.

UPDATE: After closer inspection of the locker bracket upper casting I'm quite concerned that portion of the casting could be distorted with an excessive hammer blow. Using a wooden block press yoke and carriage bolts on the guide holder itself as described here would be a far safer approach.
    Last edited by mmcmac; 12-15-2014, 11:31 PM. Reason: Withdraw original suggestion in favor of safer alternative.

Comment

• Bob
      Handtools only
      • Nov 2014

Fantastic. I clamped the guide holder to the bench and used a deep socket, wooden block and hammer, and was able to drive the arbor and 6003 bearing out of the guide holder.

The previous owner had left the saw out in the rain a lot, so no surprise that there was a little rust in there that was preventing them from coming apart easily.

Thanks for the help. On to changing the belts.

Comment

• big tim
        • Mar 2006
        • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
        • SawStop PCS

A long time ago I posted a thread on the forum about replacing the arbor bearings
        If you haven't seen it yet, it might be worth your while to have a look at it:

Good luck!

Tim
        Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by Bob
          The previous owner had left the saw out in the rain a lot,
          Ugh. I just don't understand some people.

Comment

• big tim
            • Mar 2006
            • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
            • SawStop PCS

Originally posted by I saw that!
            Unfortunately, that technique for #7 won't work with the early arbors (13A motor).
            My pulley is solid, so no tool can be used to tap that bearing out via pulley spoke holes -- unless and until the pulley is drilled.

I tried to release the ..............................de it off the arbor.
            I wasn't aware that on some models the pulley is solid. That does make it tough allright..
            How did you ultimately remove the bearing or are you still working on it?

Tim
            Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• mmcmac
              Forum Newbie
              • Nov 2014

Originally posted by Bob
              The previous owner had left the saw out in the rain a lot,
              Originally posted by tfischer
              Ugh. I just don't understand some people.
              It can be quite an education. The latest bt3000 I picked up was cast off from a cabinet shop. It was a $50 snag with an extra rip fence and a not too unexpected squeal in the arbor bearings. The SMT was still with the saw but two of the 4 delrin slide bearings were cracked so some machining is needed to get it back into service.

Then there was the casualty I saw yesterday in Allentown PA. This thing looked like it had met with salt water given the spectacular degree of corrosion on all aluminum components, and rusted steel components starting with seized screws in the blade insert. Upon me pointing this out the fellow selling it grabbed a hammer, apparently with the intention of coaxing out the insert screws. It went downhill from there -- after I asked where the arbor wrenches might be, he dismissed that query stating he just removed the blade dust cover and had at the arbor nut with an impact wrench.

I passed on that fallen soldier though I'm pretty sure it is still available..

Comment

Working...