X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jderyck
    Handtools only
    • Nov 2012

BT3K rip fence not locking at the front

I just bought a BT3000 and am in the process of buying all the missing bits for it (the miter screw and knob was missing from the miter table, the previous owner disgarded the blade guard and riving knife, ...)

The biggest issue I have now is the rip fence. I have seen a number of posts on problems with rear locking, but just to be a special snow flake that isn't my problem. The front lock doesn't engage, so there is absolutely no repeatability in fence alignment.

I can shim it but then I am building in a source of error. I am not near the saw right now, but there appear to be a couple of nylon slides which should engage with the rail. It looks like they may just be worn down, but is there a means to adjust the front engagement?
  • Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

The glides need to be set so that they allow the fence to move towards the front of the saw slightly when the handle is lowered. I'll have to dig and see if I can find the pics I posted years ago that show what I am talking about.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

I have vague memories of a post 10 years ago or so, someone purchased a used BT3000 and had a similar problem. IIRC, it seems that fence had been fully disassembled and re-assembled with the eccentric roller flipped over. Upon correcting that, it worked fine. Or maybe I dreamed it!

This may or may not apply to your situation.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• mpc
        • Feb 2005
        • Cypress, CA, USA.
        • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Anything on the rails the fence rides on? A coat of plain wax (furniture wax, not auto wax since those typically contain silicone while will contaminate your projects) is good for the BT3 tabletop, fence sides, etc. but don't wax the rails themselves.

mpc

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

I tried to find the thread I mentioned above. It seems we have lost it in the archives as it was from the first year, thread #4xxx. I'll keep trying to find the pics and my explanation. However waxing the rails was a common symptom of fence problems. Also on some fences the factory over torqued the screws holding the glides disturbing the material such that the screw pocket had to be leveled with a sharp chisel before they would adjust properly.

©

Comment

• Black wallnut
            cycling to health
            • Jan 2003
            • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
            • BT3k 1999

In the above pic when you lower the handle locking occurs with "F" pulling the front block towards the front of the saw and the bosses "c" touching the rear of the front rail. The slides serve to allow the fence to slide easily along the rail and keep it in near alignment when unlocked. I believe that when locked, if adjusted correctly do no bear against the vertical surface of the rail.

©

Comment

• jderyck
              Handtools only
              • Nov 2012

Thanks!

It looks to me that I am missing a piece of my rip fence. The part fastened in by the two screws (Part 27, labeled plate) is missing. The screws are there, as are the washers, but they're only cosmetic at this point.

If I am understanding the photographs correctly, pulling down the handle rotates the eccentric roller and makes the clamp engage. The plate has a protrusion that works with the clamp.

Comment

• pak
                Handtools only
                • Sep 2015

I have this same problem, that the fence doesn't lock. The parts are all there as far as I can tell, and I've tried flipping the eccentric roller around, but still no luck. I'm wondering if the rubber plug in the roller is worn down and perhaps that's causing the problem. Can anyone tell me how much it's supposed to stick out? The plug I have protrudes about 3/64".

Update:
                Still not sure why it's doing this, but I shimmed out the rubber strip that slides along the rails with a piece of gasket material, and that seems to work fine. I don't know how long it'll take to wear off but it's an easy enough fix.
                Last edited by pak; 09-19-2015, 07:10 AM.

Comment

Working...