• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Oil or Grease Question?

I'm refurbing an early 1900's treadle sewing machine. There are many moving parts - gears, levers, spindles, etc. I don't know when to use oil and when to use grease. Any ideas on which to use on which parts? Thanks.

PS I've already used penetrating oil to "unstick" frozen parts within the machine body. This will be removed. But my question refers to lubrication before putting it back together. Also, copious amounts of oil cannot be used because of the nature of the machine - oil spilling out of the case on to the cloth being sewn.
    Richard
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

I would say use grease where you need it to stay in place, like between gear teeth and a pushrod and a lever it actuates. Fillling bearing races.

Use oil where you need it to wick into joints that move, like bushings, and hinge pins in hinge plates. Don't use oil where it can readily run out or be slung off.

Oils that are very thin are called penetrating oils, designed to wick into really tight places like machine screw threads where the bolt or nut is made up and can't be loosened. Thinner oils should be used where the need to get into smaller places like watches andfine mechanisms while thicker oils (motor oils) are used in larger mechanisms (like car engines).

Here's a techincal article:
    Grease is essentially a suspension of oil in a thickening agent, along with appropriate additives. The oil generally makes up between 75 and 90% of the weight of a grease, and it is held in place by the gel structure of the thickener to carry out its lubricating function.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 01-24-2015, 06:11 PM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
      I would say use grease where you need it to stay in place, like between gear teeth and a pushrod and a lever it actuates. Fillling bearing races.

Use oil where you need it to wick into joints that move, like bushings, and hinge pins in hinge plates. Don't use oil where it can readily run out or be slung off.

Here's a techincal article:
      http://www.engineersedge.com/lubrica...ion_grease.htm
      Thanks, Loring. That's basically what I thought. Also, thanks for the link.
      Richard

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by I saw that!
        Then there's dry lube, which can be used in some areas instead of oil. It may not last as long as oil between applications, depending. If you try it, ya might want to wipe off the residual powder, as it could potentially stain fabric. According to Liquid Wrench, a slick coating is left behind on the surface even if the Cerflon film is removed.
        Anyway, just a thought.
        Thanks, I. I've heard of Liquid Wrench; according to articles I've read, a lot of Sewing Machine restorers use it to help remove the decades of gunk-build-up. However, I have not heard of the Dry Lube. Will look into it. Thanks.
        Richard

Comment

Working...