• Show
Clear All
  • chopnhack
    Veteran Member
    • Oct 2006
    • Florida
    • Ryobi BT3100

Why was cabinetman banned?

I was reading one of his posts and noticed that he was banned. Any mods know why?
    I think in straight lines, but dream in curves
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

I just noticed that too, and was wondering the same thing.

I don't see anything that would constitute a ban, but there may be something we don't know about.
    Erik

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by pelligrini
      I just noticed that too, and was wondering the same thing.

I don't see anything that would constitute a ban, but there may be something we don't know about.
      Same here. Although I don't read all threads every day, I have seen nothing that should constitute a ban. I would err on the side of leniency in all cases, but as you said, there may be something we don't know about. Hopefully, we are all wrong and we will continue to see C'man and everyone else who wish to contribute.
      Richard

Comment

• chopnhack
        Veteran Member
        • Oct 2006
        • Florida
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by phrog
        Hopefully, we are all wrong and we will continue to see C'man and everyone else who wish to contribute.
        Agreed. With the wood content of our website waning and with so few long term members left around it would be a shame to lose another. I hope it was a mistake, because there didn't seem to be any warfare on the board when I checked in... but who knows.
        I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

Short answer is that his posts have been to topic of staff discussion no less than 7 times in the last year. This has been ongoing behind the scenes for literally years. The straw post that turned the table was caught and removed before it became a scene but was not friendly to a new member. For the forum to survive we need new members and they need to feel welcome not belittled. I and we know Cabinetman had his fans and he did generate lots of posts and we knew this may be an unpopular decision. However it has been a long time coming. Since I became Admin over half of the complaints have been about him or his posts. We have lost a large number of members over the years either directly due to his posts or indirectly due to us not silencing him. Some of these posters names would surprise many. On balance we have also lost some due to my enforcement of the rules and hopefully that will not be the case now. The decision was made in the best interest of the long term sustainability of the forum at the forefront.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• Ed62
            The Full Monte
            • Oct 2006
            • NW Indiana
            • BT3K

I don't read every post either, but I don't remember seeing anything that should warrant being banned. That doesn't mean there weren't any, just that I didn't notice them.

My question would be if this is a temporary ban or permanent?

Ed
            Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• RAFlorida
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2008
              • Green Swamp in Central Florida. Gator property!
              • Ryobi BT3000

That is plain stupid to ban some one as you did!

I've seen some of your sidekicks get away with more than what C'man has done. Now it's time to ban me for opening my mouth...
              It's a permanent ban.
              If you want new members, you don't go scaring them away. Makes one think, "Wow, if I open my mouth and I'll get banned like Cabinetman!" Mike has contributed a lot of knowledge in this forum. But the one thing that I see; is there are those who act as if they are the most important person with the best knowledge. When will some of you guilty ones grow up and live and let live?!
              Last edited by RAFlorida; 07-26-2013, 08:21 AM.

Comment

• ivwshane
                Established Member
                • Dec 2003
                • Sacramento CA

How exactly could someone be offended by anything on this forum unless it was in the off topic section? And if it was from the off topic section then it should probably be closed and this forum should be kept strictly woodworking and projects related.

I've never been in an off topic thread (as far as I can remember) so banning someone who makes huge contributions to the core focus of this site doesn't really make sense to me.

I hope he wasn't banned because of a disagreement in the finishing process or some other subjective process. That would be just plain stupid.

He's helped me out a ton of times too

I'm not a high frequency poster though so who knows maybe he had a mean streak that I never saw (in the many years I've been here).
                Last edited by ivwshane; 07-26-2013, 01:48 PM.

Comment

• Raffi
                  Established Member
                  • Sep 2003
                  • CA, USA.

I've been a participant, and highly decorated lurker on this board for many a moon. To my eye the moderators have been just that, moderate, and only inserted themselves publicly when warranted.

Easily earned the benefit of the doubt from this bt3central fan.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
                    • Dec 2005
                    • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
                    • Grizzly G1023SL

I don't post often .. but I read this forum SEVERAL times a day... an advantage of being old and retired ... I am really disturbed by your banning of CMAN ... granted I've only been a member since 2005 so maybe I don't have the "creds" to voice an opinion but if he was banned for "insulting" a new member ... you folks need thicker skin ... if he was banned for voicing an inappropriate comment ...delete the comment ... but for the sake of the forum you should have found a better way ...

"Political Correctness" in all of its various forms has gotten way way way out of hand in this country ... and to ban, who I believe MANY of us long time members of this community consider a valuable contributing member because of an (or even several) insulting remarks ... is a little high handed for my tastes ...

REALLY???
                    "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
                    Bade Millsap
                    Bulverde, Texas
                    => Bade's Personal Web Log
                    => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• phrog
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jul 2005
                      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
                      I don't post often .. but I read this forum SEVERAL times a day... an advantage of being old and retired ... I am really disturbed by your banning of CMAN ... granted I've only been a member since 2005 so maybe I don't have the "creds" to voice an opinion but if he was banned for "insulting" a new member ... you folks need thicker skin ... if he was banned for voicing an inappropriate comment ...delete the comment ... but for the sake of the forum you should have found a better way ...

"Political Correctness" in all of its various forms has gotten way way way out of hand in this country ... and to ban, who I believe MANY of us long time members of this community consider a valuable contributing member because of an (or even several) insulting remarks ... is a little high handed for my tastes ...

REALLY???
                      +1 on that. If I see a thread that I think I may have trouble with, I usually avoid that thread. I began to have trouble with some of the comments in the GZ threads so I quit reading them.
                      Last edited by phrog; 07-26-2013, 02:06 PM.
                      Richard

Comment

• cork58
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2006
                        • Wasilla, AK, USA.
                        • BT3000

Sorry to see cman go, he gave me some very good advice from time to time.
                        Cork,

Dare to dream and dare to fail.

Comment

• Knottscott
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Rochester, NY.
                          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

That's a bummer....
                          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by Raffi
                            To my eye the moderators have been just that, moderate, and only inserted themselves publicly when warranted.
                            +1 on that. If people think these mods are "heavy handed", they should try posting on the internet.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• akronee
                              Forum Newbie
                              • Dec 2011
                              • Denver, CO
                              • Craftsman 315.228110

I'm sad

I know I'm a 'forum newbie' but I've been reading this site almost daily for over a year. I'm still a new woodworker, and so I don't post that much because I really don't have that much experience. I've asked a lot of questions, and I've valued every response. I'm not interested in talking on here about GZ, or politics, or anything other than woodworking.

I'm going to stick around as long as seasoned woodworkers (who I hope to be one one day) stick around. I'm often confused why you have an around the coffee pot section, as it's just a catch all, and you don't have more woodworking sections, like "look at the pictures of what I did" or "project ideas", etc.

Comment

Working...