• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Lawn Sprayers

I'm interested in getting a new lawn sprayer. I still have a 1 gal, and a 2 gal plastic pump sprayer. They are a PITA (and the back). I looked online at the backpack type with the pump handle and it still looks like work. HD has this battery powered sprayer. Anyone tried this type? Any suggestions from experience for the best way?

I also need to find a concentrate for spraying for ticks, and other little critters. We have two dogs that go outside as needed. I also need to find something that works good indoors, like on their bedding. Any suggestions?

• Black wallnut
    cycling to health
    • Jan 2003
    • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
    • BT3k 1999

Tempo is a good all purpose insecticide that is safe for us and pets. Worth looking into. In my state it was not restricted when i last bought some, YMMV.

Disclaimer: read and follow label, check with dealer about local/ state laws regarding use.
    Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• cabinetman
      • Jun 2006
      • So. Florida
      • Delta

Originally posted by Black wallnut
      Tempo is a good all purpose insecticide that is safe for us and pets.
      Thanks.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by cabinetman
        I'm interested in getting a new lawn sprayer. I still have a 1 gal, and a 2 gal plastic pump sprayer. They are a PITA (and the back). I looked online at the backpack type with the pump handle and it still looks like work. HD has this battery powered sprayer. Anyone tried this type? Any suggestions from experience for the best way?

I also need to find a concentrate for spraying for ticks, and other little critters. We have two dogs that go outside as needed. I also need to find something that works good indoors, like on their bedding. Any suggestions?

I imagine you have a air compressor. I have imagined that I would put a Schrader valve fitting in the tank and use my compressor to fill it. I haven't done that yet... the hard part is finding a place in the tank suitable and accessible for the valves, which usually have a 1/8" NPT fitting on one end.
        there's a picture of one with a cap over the valve attached. You can get them in stainless, might be a good idea for a chemical sprayer.

I don't know what the full pressure of a sprayer is, but you could pump it up manually the first time, use an tire air pressure gauge on the valve to measure the pressure then set your compressor to output that pressure when you charge the tank.
        Attached Files
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-13-2013, 12:41 AM. Reason: typos
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• cabinetman
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LCHIEN
          I imagine you have a air compressor. I have imagined that I would put a Schrader valve fittin in the tank and use my compressor to fill it. I haven't done that yet... the hard part is finding a place in the tank suitable and accessible for the vavues, which usually have a 1/8" NPT fitting on one end.
          there's a picture of one with a cap over the valve attached. You can get them in stainless, might be a good idea for a chemical sprayer.

I don't know what the full pressure of a sprayer is, but you could pump it up manually the first time, use an tire air pressure gauge on the valve to measure the pressure then set your compressor to output that pressure when you charge the tank.
          Not a bad idea, but, IMO, too much trouble. I'm thinking a battery powered sprayer sounds easy.

Comment

• Tom Slick
            Veteran Member
            • May 2005
            • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
            • sears BT3 clone

I have a Stihl backpack sprayer and it is easier to use than a regular pump sprayer on large jobs but with a full load you are carrying 43 lbs on your back.

I use Onslaught around and inside the house and I find dead bugs all over the place for months afterward.
            Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

unfortunately most of the stuff that really worked was banned. My favorite was 20% Lindane. One spraying meant no fleas, ticks, or chiggers in the yard for 3-4 months.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• retzler@sbcglobal.net
                Handtools only
                • Sep 2012

Garden Sprayers

Cabinetman

I have three sprayers 3gal Spray Dock and two 2gal Chapman In all three I put tire valves available at any auto store. I drilled a hole exactly perpendicular to the contour of the top {I believe 1/2" it's been 7 or8 years}. I then bent a wire in the shape like those used for coloring Easter eggs and contoured it to drop the valve into the tank and up into the hole so I could pull it through with pliers. All three tanks hold a little over 30lbs pressure you can spray for a long time especially after some of the liquid is used.
                Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-14-2013, 08:52 AM. Reason: fixed spelling couture to contour - LC

Comment

• cabinetman
                  • Jun 2006
                  • So. Florida
                  • Delta

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I have solved the sprayer choice. I don't know why I didn't think of it sooner, but I can use one of my spray guns which is a siphon cup gun. I tried it and it works just great, and I have more than enough hose length. Still looking for a tick spray to mix with water that won't kill the dogs, and can be used indoors with cats too.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by retzler@sbcglobal.net
                    Cabinetman

I have three sprayers 3gal Spray Dock and two 2gal Chapman In all three I put tire valves available at any auto store. I drilled a hole exactly perpendicular to the contour of the top {I believe 1/2" it's been 7 or8 years}. I then bent a wire in the shape like those used for coloring Easter eggs and contoured it to drop the valve into the tank and up into the hole so I could pull it through with pliers. All three tanks hold a little over 30lbs pressure you can spray for a long time especially after some of the liquid is used.

Oh, yeah, good idea. I should have thought to look at valve stems for wheels and tubeless tires. they have rubber seals to seal to the inside of the wheel so they must install from the back or pressure side.
                    valve stem holes for wheels are either .453" or .625" according to one source I read. A metal valve stem I looked at came with both size gromets plus the nut required to pull it tight.

I think I need to do this on my sprayer. A flat spot is hard to find... I presume you had the same problem but that the compliance of the seal allowed it to seal on a mild curve or contour as you say.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by LCHIEN; 07-14-2013, 09:09 AM.
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• alpha
                      Established Member
                      • Dec 2003
                      • Owensboro, KY, USA.

The last gallon of Round-up I bought was in a battery powered spray tank. So far I like it. It is powered by 4 AA batteries and they will have to be replaced from time-to-time. I bought it because my other weed sprayer bit the dust. I prefer it to the kind you pump. I would definitely recommend the battery powered pump.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

I have been using these crappy pump up plastic round bottom, who designed this junk sprayer forever. Use them for a year and throw them in the junk pump-up sparyer pile and buy a new one..... Until...... I discovered that the brand that Ace Hdw. sells has a lifetime warranty. Purchase one with a good hose, metal wand and the first time it coughs, carry it back and they put in new seals, hose, gasket or whatever at no cost to you and you are good for another year of cussing the poorly designed round bottom sprayer.
                        capncarl

Comment

• cabinetman
                          • Jun 2006
                          • So. Florida
                          • Delta

Originally posted by capncarl
                          I have been using these crappy pump up plastic round bottom, who designed this junk sprayer forever. Use them for a year and throw them in the junk pump-up sparyer pile and buy a new one..... Until...... I discovered that the brand that Ace Hdw. sells has a lifetime warranty. Purchase one with a good hose, metal wand and the first time it coughs, carry it back and they put in new seals, hose, gasket or whatever at no cost to you and you are good for another year of cussing the poorly designed round bottom sprayer.
                          capncarl
                          Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Working...