• Show
Clear All
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Does This Look Familiar?

This would appear on my screen from time to time. Never clicked on it. Is it a legitimate update?
    Click image for larger version

Name:	media player.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	798421

• Ed62
    The Full Monte
    • Oct 2006
    • NW Indiana
    • BT3K

Hi C-Man,

Since I've never seen it before, I'd guess it's a good thing you didn't click on it. But I've been wrong before.

Ed
    Do you know about kickback? Ray has a good writeup here... https://www.sawdustzone.org/articles...mare-explained

For a kickback demonstration video http://www.metacafe.com/watch/910584...demonstration/

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

I'd say it isn't legit. I have seen things similar to that before I started using Norton. Haven't seen them in years.
      Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Are you looking at a particular site when you see that pop up? That would be one way for a test (have those with other operating systems see if they get the same thing). It looks awful trojany to me. (hey click here and let us infect your computer)
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          Are you looking at a particular site when you see that pop up? That would be one way for a test (have those with other operating systems see if they get the same thing). It looks awful trojany to me. (hey click here and let us infect your computer)
          Here's more background...

The notice shows up when I wake the computer from sleeping. I don't know if there's a connection, but before, I would just click on our forum link and go there...the notice went away.

Today, I thought I would get a screen capture of it and post the image to ask you guys. After I did that, I lost the internet...maybe just a coincidence. I had to restore back to a previous date. Well, that didn't work at all. Info said there was a program (possibly an anti-virus) one doing the blocking. I use Avast, so I exited. Same problem. Norton was a program, but not active, so I uninstalled that one. Then the system restored. I have Win8, and use Firefox. Through this whole ordeal, IE wouldn't work either.

The URL for that notice was tv57.com. I checked that out since, and it seems innocent enough.

Comment

• paultnl
            Forum Newbie
            • Jun 2004
            • United Kingdom.

The information here should help http://productforums.google.com/foru...6-100-false%5D

Comment

Working...