• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Mr__Bill
    I have found most all the HF pipe clamps to be of good value, even the cam type clamps, assuming you mean the 3813. I have several in 1/2" for me the ease of adjusting out way the pain of slippage, but I can understand how the slippage would bother people.

In the 3/4" pipe clamps I prefer the 94053, for me the feet are well worth the extra $5 or so. I only wish I had figured this out before I had bought the others.

Last time I was in HF they had the 36" Aluminum Bar Clamp on sale and I am now the owner of a dozen of them. I had thought that 36" was about as long as practical in formed aluminum but after using these I may pick up two of the longer ones next trip.

Anyone use the 92490 Aluminum F-Style Bar Clamp?

Bill
    Not me... That seems an awfully large span for aluminum...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Charlie
      Banned
      • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
      Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:38 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Charlie
        I'm going to have to stand behind Rollo on this one, theres nothing about Harbor Frieght that screems quality. And you wonder why this country is loseing jobs ? I've been watching the threads and have noticed that the HF threads are geting an amazeing number of views, I find it very disturbing. I'll admit I don't have the best of everything, but I do know whats junk.
        Tell us then... What is left made in the U.S. that most of us can afford? Is it Jet? Nope made in the same plants as Harbor Freight. Maybe it is Powermatic? Uh... okay maybe not... Saw Stop then? Nope... I know the new Unisaw is U.S. built but by what percentage is it U.S. production?

The point behind these threads is to try to point out what is a good bargain to help a guy or gal get their shop outfitted, and work done...

I am pretty sure it is not possible to reach 100% domestic production when outfitting a shop these days. Even if all your tools and equipment are domestic, your electrical, bulbs, or whatnot are imported...

I for one would LOVE to see production return to the U.S., but until U.S. workers, and companies can produce similar quality, and features at competitive pricing, it just don't see that happening any time soon.
        Last edited by dbhost; 09-28-2009, 03:33 PM.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Photojosh
          Established Member
          • Aug 2009
          • Washington (the state)

I'm going to have to stand behind Rollo on this one, theres nothing about Harbor Frieght that screems quality. And you wonder why this country is loseing jobs ? I've been watching the threads and have noticed that the HF threads are geting an amazeing number of views, I find it very disturbing. I'll admit I don't have the best of everything, but I do know whats junk.
          Eh, whatever.

People like to make as if HF is some sort of pariah that has ruined the tool industry. But guess what, 80-90% of this stuff can be found in any hardware store. Grizzly and HF sell virtually identical versions of some tools. All the BORGs have power tools and hand tools and accessories that are made in the exact same factories (or at least ones with the same quality). If you want to rant and fight about american no longer making things in america, go ahead. But to paraphrase what was said in another political thread, you might as well quit woodworking because you aren't going to have enough time to fight that battle and build things at the same time. The world has moved on to a new era. Like it or not, there are some things you just can't buy "made in america" any more.

HF stuff is fine for what it is. Anyone who just dumps the blanket "HF is junk" should be ignored as they obviously don't know what they are talking about. Yes, some stuff is junk, but some (like the list in this thread) is a honest bargain. I have HF tools that have lasted me for years and made me thousands of dollars. I also have HF tools that have broken on the second use. But I don't go in there thinking I'm getting a lifetime of use out of whatever I buy. I go in thinking "Will this last me for the job that I need it for?". And 90% of the time the answer is "yes". At $30 a pop, I can replace that HF multi-function tool 8-10 times before I get to the cost of a multimaster. And paying $2-300 for a multimaster is no guarantee that it won't have broken in that timeframe as well.

I have a friend who makes custom metal bases and mounts for art glass done by some top-end glass artists. The art pieces that he works with are worth $5,000-15,000. His whole shop is outfitted from Harbor Freight (and a bit from Grizzly) because that is all he could afford at the time. I promise you that he does better work and puts more food on his table with those cheap-o tools than most people you know with a shopfull of the most expensive brands out there. It's not about how much money you can spend, it's about what you can do with the tools you have.

Comment

• Charlie
            Banned
            • Jul 2009

Deleted by me.
            Last edited by Charlie; 10-24-2009, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

If we still had the jobs, the chances of us affording quality would be better. I know what your saying though, whats the difference if you buy HF or Delta, etc. they are imports in most cases. Delta you will probably have better access to parts in the future, and acessories are probably more availabe from Delta and specialty companies. Don't get me wrong, I'm not happy with this countries manufacturers abandoning the American worker and our goverment for allowing it to happen. Used American iron is the best route to go in my opinion if you know what your looking for, and you have the patience to wait till the right one comes along.
              I think you hit the nail on the head there though... If you know what you are looking for. Most people don't. And even then, at least around here, it is a rare occasion for decent condition, rebuildable American iron to come up at anything less than a premium. I know other parts of the country aren't quite so bad... But here it seems that Grandpa's 1960s Rockwell jointer is now an Antique and worth 5x the value of a new one to too many sellers....

The politics aside from all of it. The realities are that for the most part, the tools are so often varied merely by an option here or there, and the color of paint that is sprayed on it. This has been like this since long before I could vote, and is likely to continue as long as I am alive.... It's not just tools though. I don't know if many of you recall back in the early '90s WalMart used to have labels saying "Proudly Made in The U.S.A." on danged near everything. Now I bet it would take at least an hour to find anything U.S. made (food not included) at a WalMart store...
              Last edited by dbhost; 09-28-2009, 04:41 PM.

Comment

• JR
                The Full Monte
                • Feb 2004
                • Eugene, OR
                • BT3000

Digital fractional calipers 97675. No more cumbersome converstions to fractions!

BTW - HF is among the top 25 employers in my county.

JR
                Last edited by JR; 09-28-2009, 05:24 PM.
                JR

Comment

• rollo
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Oct 2005
                  • tacoma, wa, USA.

I'll take the pepsi challenge on the HF pipe clamps any day. Put a jorgenson and an HF clamp side by side and do a few large panel glue ups. I think you'll pay the extra few bucks after a bit. And DB, the Jorgenson's are made in the US, and I'd argue that quality vs. price puts the HF ones to shame.
                  -Rollo

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                    Veteran Member
                    • May 2007
                    • Tacoma, WA
                    • BT3000

Originally posted by rollo
                    I'll take the pepsi challenge on the HF pipe clamps any day. Put a jorgenson and an HF clamp side by side and do a few large panel glue ups. I think you'll pay the extra few bucks after a bit. And DB, the Jorgenson's are made in the US, and I'd argue that quality vs. price puts the HF ones to shame.
                    Being a Coke man I'll bite. Do tell what are the differences?

I have some Pony clamps that must be 30 years old and some HF clamps that are about 5 years old. Other than age I can't see any difference when using them, they are functionally identical. When I look at pictures on line Pony clamps seem to not have changed from my old ones. Now I'll grant you that you have to check the clamps when you purchase at HF to be sure they work well and the castings are not strange but once home and in the shop what is different?

My now preferred HF pipe clamp is different, it has feet and a larger clamping pad that has holes pre-drilled for holding a wood block.

I'm not trying to start a fight here, you obviously see a difference I am just asking what it is so that I can make an informed choice the next time I feel the need to buy some clamps.

Bill

please note, I am only talking about 3/4" pipe clamps here.

Comment

• rollo
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Oct 2005
                      • tacoma, wa, USA.

Ya, 3/4" pipe clamps. My HF pipe clamps "grab" after you get a bit of pressure on them, and are impossible to crank down because you merely twist the clamp since the acme screw tolerances are so poor. You crank hard, the pipe tries to twist, you hold it, it tries to move...grrrr. Not to mention all the pins have fallen out so the screw-casting falls down the pipe to the other end.
                      My old Pony's (about 40 years old or so) and new ones keep cranking and don't bind like the HF's. Simply turn the screw and clamp your work. Yes I've tried using oil, and yes it gives some improvement, but inevitably i get oil on the pipes that then gets on my workpiece. I'm surprised no one else has experienced this, honestly. Maybe I did get a "bad batch", or maybe i'm just picky. Anyway, nuff said.
                      -Rollo

Comment

• Mr__Bill
                        Veteran Member
                        • May 2007
                        • Tacoma, WA
                        • BT3000

Ya, 3/4" pipe clamps. My HF pipe clamps "grab" after you get a bit of pressure on them, and are impossible to crank down because you merely twist the clamp since the acme screw tolerances are so poor. You crank hard, the pipe tries to twist, you hold it, it tries to move...grrrr. Not to mention all the pins have fallen out so the screw-casting falls down the pipe to the other end.
                        My old Pony's (about 40 years old or so) and new ones keep cranking and don't bind like the HF's. Simply turn the screw and clamp your work. Yes I've tried using oil, and yes it gives some improvement, but inevitably i get oil on the pipes that then gets on my workpiece. I'm surprised no one else has experienced this, honestly. Maybe I did get a "bad batch", or maybe i'm just picky. Anyway, nuff said.
                        Well, I do have a few like that too. It is what taught me to always check them first, making sure the screw is in line with the pipe and it moves smoothly. I expect that I reject about half I pick up, most because the acme screw is not moving smoothly. The trick is to have a piece of pipe to try them on, I find that plastic is fine and someplace along the line I picked up a piece of 1/2 and 3/4" with threads in the plastic. They live in the box that goes in the truck when I take a trip. My local HF is 2.5 or 5 hours away depending on direction.

If nothing else this discussion has alerted others to the problem and they may look closely when they make a purchase. Something we should do whenever we buy something.

Bill,

Comment

• dbhost
                          Slow and steady
                          • Apr 2008
                          • League City, Texas
                          • Ryobi BT3100

I own Jorgenson bar clamps in 36" along side my HF bar clamps... The Jorgensons honestly don't work a penny different from the HF clamps...

Comment

• skamath
                            Established Member
                            • Sep 2006
                            • san diego, ca
                            • BT3100, 22124

i bought some sanding sponges from HF and it didn't do anything. the grit would come off continually and the wood hardly looked sanded.

i saw it listed here and thought i'd ask if others had better experience with this item.

btw, one item that i bought recently which i thought was really useful:
                            Non-Contact Voltage Tester

before this i bought a non-contact one from walmart (GE branded). it would give false positives all the time. i bring it close to metal and it would sound off.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

variability in quality is the same as poor quality. If there's more than a rare poor quality sample then quality control is suspect, from any of a bunch of reasons including improper machining, inferior materials, multiple sources with no source (i.e. incoming quality control) controls, etc. Poor quality and poor quality control is one of the hallmarks of HF; an ocassional good one and a bunch of bad ones are usually the result.

That probably explains your experience vis-a-vis others.

overall, my selection of "gems" from HF is much smaller than Dave (DBHost) 's and his legion of forum experts' choices. Not to say he's/they're wrong but it depends on your tolerance of minor defects on fit and finish plus other operational inconveniences and having to put up with modifications and re-engineering to make it work as well as other tools. I do have a number of HF items and among them I find the digital calipers and dial gauges to be great values.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 09-29-2009, 07:56 PM. Reason: recognize its not all DBH's opinions
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Photojosh
                                Established Member
                                • Aug 2009
                                • Washington (the state)

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                                variability in quality is the same as poor quality.
                                Only for a given price point. Otherwise it's just "inconsistent quality". One of the things you give up when you head down the price ladder is the idea that things will be consistent as far as quality is concerned. This is true for tools, cars, food, etc. Sure, your mcdonalds hamburger might be fine, or the mouth breather who works the grill might have dropped it on the floor. Sure, your Yugo might give you years of flawless service, or the underpaid workers might have been drunk the day it rolled off the assembly line.

Everyone who shops at a place like Harbor Freight should expect that they will probably have to put a little time in to make up for the saved money. That time might be as quick as looking through a couple boxes to make sure you get clamps with properly operating threads, or you might have to spend an afternoon to fabricate something to make your bandsaw run correctly. Either way, if you don't have the money for premium stuff (or won't use a tool enough to justify premium prices) exchanging this time for the money saved is a good deal for a lot of people.

But anyone who just assumes that they are going to get premium tool quality at a bargain basement price gets no sympathy from me. I do have a bridge in Brooklyn I would be happy to sell them however.

Comment

Working...