• Show
Clear All
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Best knee pads?

I put this under "Project Related" because we are about to remove our carpet in our living room, dining room and hall way - 650 sq ft - and replace with snap together flooring (pergo? or similar). All within the next few weeks.

In preparation, I know that I will need some knee pads and so will LOML. I have had some strap-on from HF and some cheap ones from somewhere else several years ago when redoing a bathroom. Thoses were a pain. Not on my knees but on the straps on the back of the leg.

PROBLEMS: Either they were too tight on the back side and dug in, or they were too loose and fell down when I stood up.

I hate to buy some and find that they do the same. I wish there were some that would "stick" on to my pants, without the straps.

Anyone experience this and know a good answer?
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

Not sure if we bought different kinds or not but I have those from HF. The straps are adjustable on the back using velcro. I would suggest that you pull up your pant a little bit before strapping them on so when you get up and down the movement of your pant does not pull the kneepad up and down along with it.

Also, don't forget back support strap!!
    Last edited by trungdok; 02-25-2015, 10:36 AM.

Comment

• jdon
      Established Member
      • Feb 2010
      • Snoqualmie, Wash.
      • BT3100

I first tried the HF ones and hated them- the velcro straps were really uncomfortable.

I got the Husky Ultraflex Nonskid Knee Pads at HD, which are really comfortable and fit well. The straps don't need to be tight at all to keep the pads from slipping. The only downside is that the rubber straps aren't the strongest- one of the "buttonholes" is torn on one side, but it's still hanging together. I tore out and replaced 1600 sq ft of crawl space insulation- literally a pain in the neck, but my knees felt great.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I've never owned a pair of knee pads I would recommend, nor have I seen anyone else's that they would recommend. They were a necessary piece of equip that everyone seems to just put up with. The best luck I've had was to get them to fit the most comfortable and duct tape around the pants legs to keep them from crawling down to my ankles when I stand up.

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by trungdok
          Not sure if we bought different kinds or not but I have those from HF. The straps are adjustable on the back using velcro. I would suggest that you pull up your pant a little bit before strapping them on so when you get up and down the movement of your pant does not pull the kneepad up and down along with it.

Also, don't forget back support strap!!
          I wear suspenders when working with wood so that the pants don't fall. Been doing that for years. The problem is that the straps cut into the back of my knee. I have tried them every three or four years and had a two sets since about 2000. The straps were not elastic and I think that is the problem.
          Hank Lee

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by capncarl
            I've never owned a pair of knee pads I would recommend, nor have I seen anyone else's that they would recommend. They were a necessary piece of equip that everyone seems to just put up with. The best luck I've had was to get them to fit the most comfortable and duct tape around the pants legs to keep them from crawling down to my ankles when I stand up.
            Duct Tape them! That is an idea!

LeeValley has a set of work pant at $80 or thereabouts that have pouches for knee pad inserts, which cost extra. Looks good but Too expensive.

jdon: I got the Husky Ultraflex Nonskid Knee Pads at HD,
            I will be at HD on Friday and will look at them. I looked at Lowes this afternoon and wasn't completely impressed by theirs.

I saw that: I bought these because I wanted true, full gel inserts and the versatility of switching between gripper and slick faces so I wouldn't need two different pairs of pads.
            I looked at those and they look good. While on Amazon I saw some DeWalt that over a 100 reviews and an almost 5 star rating. I will see if HD has them when I go.

Thanks everyone for the input. And if others have an input I would appreciate it.

I tore my knee up and had 3 good incisions 40 years ago. That knee along with neuropathy firey shocking neurons in both knees force me to use something thick and protecting. I try to stay away from knee positions when possible (and I am a minister . )
            Last edited by leehljp; 02-25-2015, 07:00 PM.
            Hank Lee

Comment

• wardprobst
              • Jan 2006
              • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
              • Craftsman 22811

You want the gel type since you have knee problems. Most people fasten them too tight, they should be almost loose for comfort. Duct tape does also work as does upsizing the width of the elastic bands. DP
              www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• JoeyGee
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2005
                • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                • BT3100-1

Originally posted by leehljp
                Duct Tape them! That is an idea!

LeeValley has a set of work pant at $80 or thereabouts that have pouches for knee pad inserts, which cost extra. Looks good but Too expensive.

Holy smokes! $80? Wow. I think I would just go to Goodwill, get a cheap pair of pants/jeans and then duct tape/hot glue pads onto those. Of get a seamstress to put in some pockets into the knees.
                Joe

Comment

• lrr
                  Established Member
                  • Apr 2006
                  • Fort Collins, Colorado
                  • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by JoeyGee
                  Holy smokes! $80? Wow. I think I would just go to Goodwill, get a cheap pair of pants/jeans and then duct tape/hot glue pads onto those. Of get a seamstress to put in some pockets into the knees.
                  I saw those pants that Hank mentioned the last time I browsed the Lee Valley catalog -- probably the Christmas flyer. "Holy Smokes" is right! I don't spend that for any pants, and my shop pants were typically old beat up jeans, but lately I wear carpenter's pants. Not too sold on the hammer loop, but the side pocket holds my iPhone very well -- not too tight, not too loose.

But, those $80 pants sure look great ...
                  Lee

Comment

• frumper64
                    Established Member
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Garland, Tx, USA.

I got a pair from Sears years ago that have been great. They are a gel design with a single strap that goes below the knee. They have two different faces that attach with velcro - a smooth one for "inside" type use and a hard rubber one that looks almost like a tire tread for more robust use. They are actually quite comfortable and have held up well. The only real downside is that your knee ends up somewhere around an inch off the ground so you sort of feel like you are balancing on them.
                    Jim
                    64sedan_at_gmail.com

Comment

Working...