• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

How to Open a Magnalite?

Just discovered that my 4-D Magnalite has powder from battery acid in the long tube. The batteries that I took out had not leaked; so the powder must be from a previous batch. When I tried to get the front off, so that I would have an open tube, it does not turn at all. There is a gasket there; so I assume that it does screw off. The powder is 3 or 4 inches up the tube form the gasket. Therefore, I don't think leakage is holding it. I've never had it off and wonder, is it supposed to come off? Any suggestions on removing it if it is supposed to come off.
    Richard
  • Biolite
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2014

There should be a cap on the butt of the flashlight that screws off. It's slightly knurled.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

If it has corrosion you may not be able to the end off without destroying the threads. Maglite has been my favorite go to light sever since they became available. It makes a formatable weapon when a gun is not available or allowed. I've lost several to corrosion that I was not able to salvage, learning from those, if the ends are stuck and will not come off with reasonable effort I soak both ends down with penetrating oil like pb blaster. Note that the other end, the butt end, not the light end is intended to be removed for battery replacement. The light end has almost an inch of fine threads and the butt end has less than half inch. Not that it matters because the light end threads acts as a switch and focus, so if that is seized and will not open the light is useless. After soaking in penetrating oil I wrap it in a soft rag and chuck it up in a good vice, don't crush it though. Another rag wrapped round the end and give it a try with a large channel-lock pliers. Some have willingly come off and I have stripped threads on some. If the end does come off clean the threads with a brass brush and lubricate with machine oil. If successful you might consider upgrading to the new LED bulb offerings for this light. Very impressive. If it doesn't come off,
      chalk this up to experience.
      capncarl

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Biolite
        There should be a cap on the butt of the flashlight that screws off. It's slightly knurled.
        Biolite, I got the butt end off and the batteries out. But I can see powder way down in the tube; I am trying to get the light end off so I have a simple tube that I can clean appropriately before inserting new batteries.
        Richard

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
          If it has corrosion you may not be able to the end off without destroying the threads. Maglite has been my favorite go to light sever since they became available. It makes a formatable weapon when a gun is not available or allowed. I've lost several to corrosion that I was not able to salvage, learning from those, if the ends are stuck and will not come off with reasonable effort I soak both ends down with penetrating oil like pb blaster. Note that the other end, the butt end, not the light end is intended to be removed for battery replacement. The light end has almost an inch of fine threads and the butt end has less than half inch. Not that it matters because the light end threads acts as a switch and focus, so if that is seized and will not open the light is useless. After soaking in penetrating oil I wrap it in a soft rag and chuck it up in a good vice, don't crush it though. Another rag wrapped round the end and give it a try with a large channel-lock pliers. Some have willingly come off and I have stripped threads on some. If the end does come off clean the threads with a brass brush and lubricate with machine oil. If successful you might consider upgrading to the new LED bulb offerings for this light. Very impressive. If it doesn't come off,
          chalk this up to experience.
          capncarl
          Carl, I got the butt end off easily and the batteries out with little effort. But I can see powder down in the tube portion. Therefore, I was trying to get the other end off so that I could appropriately clean the tube before inserting new batteries. The magnifier portion screwed off easily but the portion holding the bulb won't turn. There is a rubber gasket just beyond this portion and the powder inside seems to be well beyond it toward the butt end. So I think it should come loose at the gasket but wasn't sure if it was made to come loose. (Although I don't know why they would have put a gasket there if it weren't made with threads.) I think, from reading your comments that, indeed, it is made to come loose. Therefore, I'm going to try forcing it loose. Thanks for your inputl
          Richard

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

The end cap holds on the clear lense cover and mirror reflector. The threaded bell is the part that I mentioned that is used to remove the bell and focus the light beam. I was wrong, I looked at my big stick mag lite, the switch is behind this, not part of the focus. Anyway, it should be removed and cleaned so you can focus. You have to remove the switch to remove the rest of the guts. Remove the rubber switch cover and there is a set screw (I think it is a set screw) remove it and the switch can be pushed out the bottom end.
            capncarl

Comment

• RAV2
              Established Member
              • Aug 2007
              • Massachusetts

Maglite really lost its edge and failed to catch the LED wave.

Even now, they produce inferior lighting instruments compared to many that are under $10 from China.

I had the exact same problem, especially from lites that are kept in the heat of a vehicle.

I eventually cut my losses (time and effort), scrapped my maglite, and bought some excellent lites from Home Depot about 2 Christmas's ago - 550 lumens, 3C battery LEDs.

Have you seen the offerings at Lowes? Some really nice ones except they are still above my price point of over $20 and throw a ton of light from 3 or 4 AAA batteries.

Except for the "C" light above, that has excellent form factor, I have standardized on AAA lights. Especially my EDC light found in my pocket.

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I agree with RAV2, mag-lite has been beat out by other imports, but it is really hard to get someone's attention when you whack them up side the head with a hot dog size AAA flashlight. I have a 32 led hot dog size AAA light that will outshine any of my mags....... For about 5 minutes, then the batteries are getting drained. I'd like the 32 led head on a 3 or 4 D cell mag lite.

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

I used to love Mag Lights... I still have one that I put an aftermarket LED conversion in years ago that I use somewhat regularly around the garage and yard. But I can get more light out of a $5 (or free) cheapo from Harbor Freight. And since I use my flashlights as a lighting source, not a weapon, I really have no need for the heft of a Mag Light anymore. In fact I'm usually doing something like camping where weight is a bad thing.

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                    • Aug 2007
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • BT-3000, 21829

I spent hours trying to repair my late FIL's 3-cell Maglite.

Finally got it open, cleaned out the dead battery gunk, made a wire brush to fit my drill and cleaned out the corrosion.

All done and the **** thing wouldn't work.

Ditto on the HF freebie flashlights. I have one next to every HF free volt-ohmmeter in the house!
                    You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                    of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

I'll pick up the cheapie little harbor freight little 3" flashlights packaged in the multi blister packs whenever I see them. At our neighborhood Bon fires I'll carry a pocket full of these flashlights to pass out to the kids running around chasing lightning bugs. A flashlight will keep a kid happy and occupied for hours.
                      capncarl

Comment

• phrog
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2005
                        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I finally took that front end gasket off and there is nothing under it. Apparently, it keeps the front end water resistant. So there is no way I can see to open the tube in front. Therefore, I gave up. Sprayed some lubricant in from the back. Letting sit a while and will then try to remove the powder from the dead batteries. If that doesn't work, it goes in the trash.

I appreciate all the comments. And I am in agreement with most everyone; the light given off by the Mag is not nearly so good as cheaper and smaller LEDs. However, I like carrying the 4-D Mag for protection in places with which I'm not familiar, such as motels, etc. Thanks everyone.
                        Richard

Comment

• d_meister
                          Established Member
                          • Feb 2009
                          • La Conner, WA.
                          • BT3000

I had a maglite with "D" cells that leaked and remembered that there is a warranty on Duracells that cover damage to equipment. I sent the mag in with the batteries and received a check for $27 and coupons for free batteries. Eveready used to have the same guarantee and I sent in a mini maglite with leaking batteries and never heard from them. I only use Duracell on equipment that I care about.

Comment

• lrr
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Fort Collins, Colorado
                            • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                            I'll pick up the cheapie little harbor freight little 3" flashlights packaged in the multi blister packs whenever I see them. At our neighborhood Bon fires I'll carry a pocket full of these flashlights to pass out to the kids running around chasing lightning bugs. A flashlight will keep a kid happy and occupied for hours.
                            capncarl
                            Neighborhood bonfires? Wow, I gotta love a community that has neighborhood bonfires.

I suppose next your going to rub it in and say you guys have fireworks in your neighborhood on the Fourth of July.

BTW -- nice gesture giving kids a flashlight. A timeless gift -- my grand daughters love them.
                            Last edited by lrr; 02-27-2015, 11:47 AM.
                            Lee

Comment

• jking
                              • May 2003
                              • Des Moines, IA.
                              • BT3100

Originally posted by d_meister
                              I had a maglite with "D" cells that leaked and remembered that there is a warranty on Duracells that cover damage to equipment. I sent the mag in with the batteries and received a check for $27 and coupons for free batteries. Eveready used to have the same guarantee and I sent in a mini maglite with leaking batteries and never heard from them. I only use Duracell on equipment that I care about.
                              Years ago, we had the opposite experience with Duracell. A set of batteries leaked and ruined an electronic game my older brother had. My dad sent a letter to Duracell and got back a letter that basically said that were sorry, but, sometimes batteries leak. My dad swore off Duracells after that. I don't know if he still avoids them or not.

Comment

Working...