• Show
Clear All
  • JeffW
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • San Antonio, Texas, USA.
    • BT3100

Domino purchase

Just had to do it. Broke down and purchased the Domino 500. Started thinking about the 40 mortises per chair it it just made sense to make things easier.

Now waiting for weather to get better to play around some. Should be much faster than the beadlock.
    Measure twice, cut once, screw it up, start over
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

Congratulations! It is the only Festool I might buy.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

Good choice. I'm currently using a slot cutter in the router table to make the floating tendons in my tiny tables, 16 slots per table, and make the biscuit for each. If my table experiment takes off one is on my to-buy list. What is the cost of the biscuits?
      capncarl

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

When I saw the title of this thread, I opened it to find out if there is a new flavor of pizza.
        Richard

Comment

• Neal
          Established Member
          • Apr 2012
          • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
          • Ryobi BT3000

Mine will be here on Tuesday or WEdnesday next week. I hope I get to put it through its paces soon.

Comment

• twistsol
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
            • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

Originally posted by JimD
            Congratulations! It is the only Festool I might buy.
            I used to think that the tracksaw ... now I have a shop full of Festool.
            Chr's

Comment

• JimD
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2003
              • Lexington, SC.

I already have a DeWalt track saw I like very much. I plan to make a Ron Paulk worktable which is essentially his MFT type table. I am working on the parallel guides. I think Festool has great ideas and integration of their tools with shop vacumns and work tables and with each other. But I don't do metric and I prefer paying half as much for pretty similar tools when possible. My DeWalt was about $600 and is inbetween the 55 and 75 in size. It came with a 102 inch and 56 inch rail. Getting rails that long with even the 55 was well over $1000 last time I looked. My DeWalt depth adjustment is in inches and is the dimension below the guide rail. So you set it to 9/16 or 5/8 to cut through 1/2 plywood. But I am sure based upon all the comments if you buy Festool you are getting good equipment.

But there is no rough equivalent of a Domino.

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

I'm Festool green with envy!

Comment

• jussi
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007

Great buy. I'm sure you won't regret it. One for my favorite green tools. If you want to save a little money get the long domino strips. You have to cut them yourself but it allows you to make custom sizes and is less expensive than the pre-cuts. I'm slowly replacing my standard dominos with them as my supply runs out.
                  I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

Did I see somewhere a router bit that made the domino strips?

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by capncarl
                      Did I see somewhere a router bit that made the domino strips?
                      Is there any kind of magic to these other than the convenience? When I route mortises, I have some 3/8" and 1/2" tenon stock that is ripped to the correct width and has rounded over shoulders. I cut it to whatever length I need.

Comment

• capncarl
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007
                        • Leesburg Georgia USA
                        • SawStop CTS

Boy that shows how fast I turn my head when I walk past the green aisle! The high price makes me have that ole gag reflex so I have never investigated the Domino 500. I see the price sticker and turn and run. I have always assumed it used the beadlock tennon stock. I see I am wrong! Making tennon stock would be an easy job, no additional tools required. $350 + for an assorted size box of tenons, really?
                        capncarl

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by capncarl
                          Boy that shows how fast I turn my head when I walk past the green aisle! The high price makes me have that ole gag reflex so I have never investigated the Domino 500. I see the price sticker and turn and run. I have always assumed it used the beadlock tennon stock. I see I am wrong! Making tennon stock would be an easy job, no additional tools required. $350 + for an assorted size box of tenons, really?
                          capncarl
                          The assortment box is 285, and includes tenons from the 5mm to 10mm size, the systainer, and most importantly the cutters. You would spend more buying them individually, unless you didn't want tenons in every size or you went third party for the cutters.

I bought the empty sys and a 10mm bit when I made the outdoor table. I'll be buying the full sys at some point, and have one for beech and one mahogany.
                          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• lrr
                            Established Member
                            • Apr 2006
                            • Fort Collins, Colorado
                            • Ryobi BT-3100

The Festool track saws come with an Imperial scale you can put on, but I prefer the metric. Heck, most plywood is metric, so if the thickness is 19mm, I set the track saw to cut 20 or 21 mm. I find it a lot easier than measuring the thickness and deciding how many 32nds thick it is, and then adding a another 1/16".
                            Lee

Comment

• jussi
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                              Is there any kind of magic to these other than the convenience? When I route mortises, I have some 3/8" and 1/2" tenon stock that is ripped to the correct width and has rounded over shoulders. I cut it to whatever length I need.

Like many tools they're just a faster, more convenient way to do a task previously done using another tool/tools. How much that convince is worth will obviously vary. When I first heard of the domino I didn't think it was worth it. After doing my first project that required more than 8 m&t joints I changed my mind
                              I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

Working...