• Show
Clear All
  • TB Roye
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2004
    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
    • BT3100

What would you do?

Dropped my iPad Air, shattered the screen. Apple want $299 + tax to repair it. The young man in Kiosk outside the apple store wants $169. including tax to repair it. Went on Amazon a repair kit with the Screen/Digitizer and tools is $89. tax with Prime. or the same kit from the Kit company is $89+ Tax and shipping.

I am leaning toward the DIY thing through Amazon. the kit is by iCracked and I have watched the videos on doing it while a little intimidating I feel I could do it. I have assembled Computer built Kitchen Cabinets and Assemble 350 CI Race engines, and have large roll around tool box full of tools. Will have to use my Magnifying Visor to do it as my eyes are that great. I have an anti static matt and wrist band so that will be safe. Besides I need the challenge. Depending how it goes I might explore the franchise thing through iCracked. Could be a nice little thing to do depending on the cost required.

Tom
    Last edited by TB Roye; 04-12-2015, 01:22 PM.
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I've had to do a couple of iPhones myself and used kits to replace the screens. I would think and iPad would be easier. My daughter and boss have both had iPads done at kiosks. If you're careful, it is pretty straightforward.

My boss had an issue with the guy at the kiosk and had to have it redone three times because of faulty screens. It didn't cost him any extra, but was a time hassle. All the others went smoothly.

If you're comfortable with do it yourself, go for it.
    Chr's

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

I DIY replaced an iPhone screen using a kit from iCracked. The repair was not simple but with enough online videos and the printed instructions from iCracked, everything went well. I can't tell the difference between the two screens but the problem still persists so it probably wasn't a bad screen after all.

Anyway, if after watching the tutorials and you feel confident, go for it. I'm only guessing but I'd imagine the iPad may be easier because it's larger. There were some tiny, tiny screws for the iPhone, and you have to work in a fairly orderly manner.

Comment

• TB Roye
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2004
        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
        • BT3100

But boy are there some tiny screws thank god they send a magnet. I will order it later today and it will be here Tuesday. Have screen protecter on it now to prevent glass from coming out. I watched the guy in Kiosk change the screen in my Granddaughter iPhone 4s and was amazed at what was in that case. He took the back off and then removed just about every thing to get at the screen. The iPad being larger and not having to gut the case should be easier. Once again Youtube comes through.

Tom
        Last edited by TB Roye; 04-12-2015, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• lrr
          Established Member
          • Apr 2006
          • Fort Collins, Colorado
          • Ryobi BT-3100

Given your experience, I'd think you would be fine. My son-in-law replaced the screen on a Samsung phone, and he has never really done any fine detail type of work or repair. He thought the how-to videos he watched were pretty easy to follow. And I would have to believe that the iPad would be simpler than a smartphone due to size.
          Lee

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

This is how I look at such things:

You dropped the iPad, and depending on the specs, you have already lost $300 to $600. It's gone, you gotta suffer the loss, the universe does not give second chances. Take a moment to mourn it.

Now, you have a choice to get a replacement. You could get a new one, or repair at Apple for almost-the-cost-of-a-new-one, or pay some enterprising chap $170.

Or, for a cheap $90, you get to experience the thrill of opening up that sleek iPad, and who knows, be actually able to fix it! Or maybe it will not fix it - there's a 15% chance it won't (going by buyer reviews), but looks like the vendor refunds your money in some cases.

Admit it - when you looked at something as sleek as that iPad Air, you did wonder, how do the innards of this thing look like? Well, I do, all the time!
            So here's your chance - become more than a regular DIYer: become one of those rare ones who fix their iThingie and live to tell the tale! YOLO!

Btw, there are other services available, like this. I'm almost sorry to share that link because looks like their costs are closer to the DIY price. But they do warn you that some cases might take more money, as in if the LCD is damaged, not just the touchscreen.
            Yes, that info is new to me too - that the LCD is separate from the touchscreen.

But I hope you DIY this, and come back and tell us all about it...
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• TB Roye
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2004
              • Sacramento, CA, USA.
              • BT3100

I am still using it, even to write this. I am going to DIY, its a challange and I like challanges of this typle. I am going to use some painters tape to hold the glass together aournd the home button while I open it up. I have ordered the kit frrom Amazon and will go buy a couple of tools not included in the kit that were used in the video about ten dollars worth, the zero keystopped working on keyboard, that why the Ten is spelled out. I will document and post pictures and descriptions. Let the adventure begin.

Tom
              Last edited by TB Roye; 04-12-2015, 09:16 PM.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

If you don't mind documenting it and taking pics I'd love to see the process.
                I reject your reality and substitute my own.

Comment

• TB Roye
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2004
                  • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                  • BT3100

I have the iPad disassembled. The video make it look easy. Mine was difficult for 2 reasons, The glass was shattered worse than I though and kept falling apart as I tried to pry it up with the tools provided. I don't think I used enough heat to soften the adhesive properly which meant I had to work harder. I have apart and the adhesive residue cleaned off. I will reassemble it this evening after the Grandkids picks them. Don't need the distractions.
                  Using a heat gun on low to heat very thin glass on a electronic device is a little intimidating. I think reassembly will be a lot easier, if I don't loose 8 tiny screws and I mean tiny. The sure in **** ain't 5/16-18 I guess the are -mm. Off to Karate with Granddaughter. I have picture will post them over the weekend. Like my son what in the Heck is 73 year old tearing apart iPads for? Because its there and I can.

Tom

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by TB Roye
                    I think reassembly will be a lot easier, if I don't loose 8 tiny screws and I mean tiny. The sure in **** ain't 5/16-18 I guess the are -mm. Off to Karate with Granddaughter. I have picture will post them over the weekend. Like my son what in the Heck is 73 year old tearing apart iPads for? Because its there and I can.

Tom
                    I have heard several good ways of keeping up with tiny screws. The method that works best for me is to get about 8 to 10 inches of duct tape, turn sticky side up and lay on the table. Fold about 1/2 in under on both ends and let that stick to the table.

As you take out a tiny screw, place it at the back end. The next one, place in front of the last one. Reverse order for installing. I haven't lost a screw since learning this technique. . . Well I did drop one in the carpet below the dining room table once. But the 18 inch bar magnet found it for me. I promise you, an 18 to 24 inch bar magnet is a GREAT companion tool to tiny screwdrivers.

Magnet bar like this.
                    Last edited by leehljp; 04-17-2015, 10:10 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Black wallnut
                      cycling to health
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
                      • BT3k 1999

Awesome
                      Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• TB Roye
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2004
                        • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                        • BT3100

Got everything back together and I tested it a little still have to do the whole procedure to make sure every thing work May take the LCD back for pictures. it was getting later 11:50 pm and I decided to stop before I make big mistake. I have deliberately forced myself to go slow as I have tendency to go to fast and then make a mistake. I want this one to work and not have buy a new one or pay someone else to fix it. Good night

Tom

Comment

• TB Roye
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2004
                          • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                          • BT3100

Update

Not good, something is wrong. It is assembled but in has a mind of it's own. It has what is called Ghost touches, which is where it act like you are touching the screen to open an app. I have disassembled it twice and can't find anything wrong. There are 4 cable inside one from the LCD and 3 from the Screen. The LCD works fine so it is in either the home button cable, or the two cables from the digitizer it's self. It is either operator error, me damaging one of the cables or a bad digitizer. I am going to open it up one more time tonight after the Grandson is gone and take another look, I will take some more picture to document what is going on and file a warranty claim. Either iCracked will replace the digitizer or give me a 25% discount on a new one. Funny I test it before I set the digitize back in the frame and every thing is fine but one it is in the frame off we go with ghost touches. Say you touch the email icon you may get the email or something else, some time everything works fine other time it goes crazy. You can go on You Tube and search for iCRacked iPad Air screen replacement and watch the video it really very good but something went wrong for me. I will be doing a chat with iCaracked later today or tomorrow.

Tom

Comment

Working...