• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

Mini Garage

The next outside project to come up is going to be expanding the original parking slab for my Harley (when it was a 2 wheeler) and build a mini garage for the trike. Construction will be standard 2x4 stud, 16" on center, with one small cabinet to hold helmets, extra gloves, etc. that now take up the shelf in the coat closet. I might add a closes rod to hold seasonal riding gear and provide a space for hanging rain gear to dry. The outside dimension will be approx. 8 x 11.

What I am undecided on is the roof. The original parking area was under a cut down awning with a hip roof design top. The look was better that a straight gable and I was thinking of staying with the idea by going with a Dutch Hip Roof with vents in both ends. I have some leftover R panels from roofing the house that should be enough. I will have to buy the caps for the ridges.

I have the books from some construction courses I took long ago, as well as some DIY books, and I am sure I can find all the tech info I need. Still thought it wouldn't hurt to ask if anyone has built this type of roof before and can tell me what problems I can expect to encounter.
    Attached Files
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Having built this type roof before I would recommend dropping the 2 gables and make it a full hip roof. No sense adding the additional leak points for no purpose. The architectural detail in this is not significant and should pass any HOA scrutiny without it. If it is a deciding point you can paint the walls to match the existing structure.
    capncarl

Comment

Working...