• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

What is it?

Whipped up one of these tonight. Measures 9" tall, 7 3/4" deep, and 7 1/4" between the two clear uprights.

What is it?

• JoeyGee
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2005
    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
    • BT3100-1

Cookbook/tablet stand for kitchen?

...or maybe not. At first glance I thought there was plexiglass in front, too.
    Joe

Comment

• radhak
      Veteran Member
      • Apr 2006
      • Miramar, FL
      • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

I could see using this as a counter-top book rack. Actually it looks nice enough for me to think about copy it for that same purpose.

But waiting for the reveal - what you made it for...
      It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
      - Aristotle

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
        • Aug 2007
        • Minneapolis, MN
        • BT-3000, 21829

Really cool spline jig?
        You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
        of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

My first though was a coockbook display holder but it doesn't look wide enough to hold an open book and the ends are in the way. So my best guess is a book shelf for cook books for the kitchen.
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• rcp612
            Established Member
            • May 2005
            • Mount Vernon, OH, USA.
            • Bosch 4100-09

Originally posted by eccentrictinkerer
            Really cool spline jig?
            Plus 1
            Do like you always do,,,,,,Get what you always get!!

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

A display rack for your first ever solved Rubik's cube?
              Lee

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

I guess it could be a countertop bookshelf, but it's not.

It's used to cradle 4L reagent bottles at an angle in my lab. There is a length of tubing that enters through the blue bottle cap and sits at the very bottom of the bottle. This helps minimize the risk of running the tubing dry. On the other end of the tubing is a machine that fills the reagent into sample wells.

Before I made the cradle, we'd prop the bottle at an angle against a box. After it slipped a couple of times (one time shattering the bottle) and always spilling reagent everywhere (one bottle costs $400) and causing a huge mess, I started making these. The clear sides let us monitor the reagent level. The first one had just one clear side because it is against a wall.

Below is a short video of what the reagent is used for. The system first rinses and flushes the black metal probe tips, then syringes draw up a custom amount of reagent. The black probes then pierce through the red rubber septum caps and dispense the reagent. The beige racks holding the red capped tubes sit under a metal frame that prevents the tubes from being pulled up as the probes withdraw from the tubes. The black probes are about 1mm in diameter. They are actually double walled. The inner tubing does the dispensing. The outer wall has 2 small holes bored in it about 1cm above the tip and that tubing is connected to the silver colored side ports. When the probe dispenses solution, air pressure is allowed to vent through the side port since the septum makes a perfect seal around the probe. If this didn't happen, the caps would pop off and the tubes would be hard to slide out from the frame--plus it would make a mess.

Paul

Comment

• eccentrictinkerer
                  • Aug 2007
                  • Minneapolis, MN
                  • BT-3000, 21829

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                  I guess it could be a countertop bookshelf, but it's not.

It's used to cradle 4L reagent bottles at an angle in my lab. There is a length of tubing that enters through the blue bottle cap and sits at the very bottom of the bottle. This helps minimize the risk of running the tubing dry. On the other end of the tubing is a machine that fills the reagent into sample wells.

Before I made the cradle, we'd prop the bottle at an angle against a box. After it slipped a couple of times (one time shattering the bottle) and always spilling reagent everywhere (one bottle costs $400) and causing a huge mess, I started making these. The clear sides let us monitor the reagent level. The first one had just one clear side because it is against a wall.

Below is a short video of what the reagent is used for. The system first rinses and flushes the black metal probe tips, then syringes draw up a custom amount of reagent. The black probes then pierce through the red rubber septum caps and dispense the reagent. The beige racks holding the red capped tubes sit under a metal frame that prevents the tubes from being pulled up as the probes withdraw from the tubes. The black probes are about 1mm in diameter. They are actually double walled. The inner tubing does the dispensing. The outer wall has 2 small holes bored in it about 1cm above the tip and that tubing is connected to the silver colored side ports. When the probe dispenses solution, air pressure is allowed to vent through the side port since the septum makes a perfect seal around the probe. If this didn't happen, the caps would pop off and the tubes would be hard to slide out from the frame--plus it would make a mess.

Paul
                  That was my second guess!
                  You might think I haven't contributed much to the world, but a large number
                  of the warning labels on tools can be traced back to things I've done...

Comment

• LCHIEN
                    Internet Fact Checker
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Katy, TX, USA.
                    • BT3000 vintage 1999

WHat looks like a dining table is a red herring! That it's used in the lab at work is not evident.

But the clear sides make it easy to mark where the holes to the angled-shelf need to be instead of blind!
                    Loring in Katy, TX USA
                    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...