• Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Autochord Autoharp build

I just finished this up last week - it was my first "major" woodworking project in several years. The plans were freely downloadable from MusicMakers (www.harpkit.com). MusicMakers also sells a complete hardware kit which contains all the non-wood things you need for the build (tuning pins, strings, etc etc). I built the plans pretty much as designed, with some very minor tweaks.

This was a really fun build and went together pretty smoothly. The main frame is white ash, and the chord bars and covers were done in walnut for a contrasting look. I had both woods available in my "scrap pile" from prior projects. I also used white ash for the chord bar buttons, again for a contrasting look. The bottom was some birch plywood I had on hand, and the sound board is cedar, made out of milled and glued-up rough fence boards from the BORG. So my overall cost was pretty low.

I was pretty happy how it turned out, and it sounds decent too. Now I have to lean how to play it well

If you're interested in a lot more pictures, including lots of "in progress" photos use the following link (you don't have to have a Facebook sign-in to view it).

-Tim
    Attached Files
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Tim, that's really cool.

I had no idea how you played it (or for its size) but there are a wealth of videos on YouTube.
    Looks really versatile.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

A lot of Wow factor in that project. Very nice and good choice of woods I think. It's hard to get much stronger or more stable than white ash.
      Lee

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

Very nice ... would like to hear a sound clip.
        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

That is pretty cool...
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...