Harbor Freight Tools data security breach.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Harbor Freight Tools data security breach.

I stumbled upon this researching security issues for work, and was pretty stunned I hadn't heard of this before, but it appears Harbor Freight had a security breach last year. It is possible that your credit / debit card data may have been compromised.

The malware attack that infiltrated Harbor Freight Tools' network could prove to be one of the biggest retail breaches this year, experts now say. Learn why card

With all of these issues lately, I am seriously considering going back to paper... This is nuts.
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

My CC (Discover) just notified me I was "potentially involved in a breach" and changed my # and issued new cards. This is a PITA as I have had this number for maybe 15 years - it's memorized and I buy a lot of stuff online. I also have numerous auto-pay bills that I now need to have moved over to the new number.

In the other hand, the wife and I have nearly $1400 in unused cash back bonus accumulated over the last few years. We always pay balances every month so that's "free money" for us.

Comment

• TB Roye
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2004
      • Sacramento, CA, USA.
      • BT3100

Both my B of A card and my Capital One card get hit over the week. Cap 1 notified me and the checking my other accounts found the B of A. Both cards were cancelled. If their security is that bad don't need them.

Tom

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Generally it's the merchant's fault, not the CC company.

Comment

• cwsmith
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2005
          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I had our card compromised last summer and had to have new cards issued. Thankfully, the card company almost immediately knew something was wrong and cancelled the cards that very day.

However, there were still around $300 in charges made... fortunately, all of them out of state. But it took a couple of months and two trips to the local branch to get everything straightened out with the old charger numbers.

We keep excellent records and receipts on everything. The very day that it happened (when I couldn't use the card), I was able to tell the company every single transaction we had made in the last week.

CWS
          Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

Working...