• tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
    I quote Wikipedia on "Middle age":

Definitions[edit]
    According to Collins Dictionary, this is "... usually considered to occur approximately between the ages of 40 and 60".[1] The current edition of the Oxford English Dictionary gives a similar definition but with a shorter span: "The period of life between young adulthood and old age, now usually regarded as between about forty-five and sixty." The US Census lists middle age as including both the age categories 35 to 44 and 45 to 54, while prominent psychologist Erik Erikson saw it ending a little later and defines middle adulthood as between 40 and 65. The Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, the standard diagnostic manual of the American Psychiatric Association, used to define middle age as 40–60, but as of Edition IV (1994) revised the definition upwards to 45–65.

Ar you feeling a little bit middle aged?
    I've always defined it as "an age that I"m not even close to approaching yet"

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Pappy
      64% on the high side of middle age at 60+.....
      I will say this about the older guys--and I'm making some sweeping generalizations based on a small sample set of my own parents, aunts/uncles--it must be kind of exciting to be nearing retirement or be in retirement. My dad for the most part has been retired for 2 years now. He does a consulting gig here and there for fun. Putzes around the house and plays golf whenever he wants. My mom is retiring next January. They both will have healthy pensions to last them through. The same goes for most of my relatives. My folks take one major world trip just about every year now. They're basically in maintenance mode. They surely deserve the fruits of their labor.

I've got nearly another 30 working years ahead of me and that's with more than 15 working years behind me. No pension (have a decent 401K but who knows what the future holds) to speak of and I've got college for the kids to think about, mortgage, what am I going to work at for another 30 years, ACK!

OK, now I'm bummed at not being older.

Comment

• BadeMillsap
        • Dec 2005
        • Bulverde, Texas, USA.
        • Grizzly G1023SL

Yesterday I applied online for Social Security to start at 62... July... YIKES!!!

Via Tapatalk on Android
        "Like an old desperado, I paint the town beige ..." REK
        Bade Millsap
        Bulverde, Texas
        => Bade's Personal Web Log
        => Bade's Lutherie Web Log

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

Originally posted by BadeMillsap
          Yesterday I applied online for Social Security to start at 62... July... YIKES!!!

Via Tapatalk on Android
          You're lucky, mine probably won't kick in until 68 if at all...

Comment

• Whaler
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2002
            • Sequim, WA, USA.
            • DW746

Turning 77 in a couple weeks and looking back I have no idea how I made it this far.
            Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• atgcpaul
              Veteran Member
              • Aug 2003
              • Maryland
              • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by atgcpaul

I've got nearly another 30 working years ahead of me and that's with more than 15 working years behind me. No pension (have a decent 401K but who knows what the future holds) to speak of and I've got college for the kids to think about, mortgage, what am I going to work at for another 30 years, ACK!

OK, now I'm bummed at not being older.
              Holy crap! Was watching a TED talk about a guy who started a fusion power company.

Anyway, about 3:20 min, he's describing the beginning of his mid-life crisis. I think he's talking to me. I guess I'm ahead of schedule.

Our energy future depends on nuclear fusion, says Michel Laberge. The plasma physicist runs a small company with a big idea for a new type of nuclear reactor that could produce clean, cheap energy. His secret recipe? High speeds, scorching temperatures and crushing pressure. In this hopeful talk, he explains how nuclear fusion might be just around the corner.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

the poll is closed and the results are in. 93 people voted.
                Overwhelmingly Male. No one responded that they were female.
                Overwhelmingly (more than 80%) are in the 40-69 age group.
                No one responded that they were under thirty at all. That includes the 20-29 group and the 10-19 group.

Those are some sobering facts if we are looking at doing things to attract more people. We clearly do not appeal to several large demographic groups.
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...