Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

idea for marking projects.

Use iron on transfer sheets...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Great idea! I will have to try it!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

I'm going to have to try that now - pretty sure I have some in my stash of odd printer papers.

Speaking of which... has anyone here tried using inkjet waterslide decal film? I was building an autoharp (see my thread in the finished projects forum I just posted if you're interested) and needed a way to put the chord symbols on the buttons. The plans recommended using overhead transparency film and supergluing them to the buttons... just didn't seem like that was going to look good at all. So I had some waterslide decal film on hand... gave it a try. I had some issues getting it to stick to the wood in some cases but it looks pretty good, and once I got it encased in another layer of poly over the top it should be very permanent.

Just wondered if anyone had used that on woodworking projects?

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

don't you have to have very flat wood for this to work? Any raised grain and it will leave gaps (because the iron is so flat)

You can also do something similar with standard Laser/carbon toner printers.
        Print a reverse image and use an iron to transfer the paper's image made with toner to the wood.
        This is often done to transfer patterns for jigsaw/scrollsaw work... Not sure if the quality is high enough for this purpose, tho.
        Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2014, 09:16 AM.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carpenter96
          Established Member
          • Aug 2011
          • Barrie ON Canada
          • BT 3000

I use this technique with reverse images done on laser printers. I use it to put childrens names, and train images on train whistles. I also use this for chip carving patterns it reduces the time for putting patterns on the wood.

Regards Bob

Comment

• atgcpaul
            Veteran Member
            • Aug 2003
            • Maryland
            • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by Carpenter96
            I use this technique with reverse images done on laser printers. I use it to put childrens names, and train images on train whistles. I also use this for chip carving patterns it reduces the time for putting patterns on the wood.

Regards Bob
            Bob, the technique Loring described or the original one posted by Dave?

As I near the finish line of a project, every extra step feels like I'm defusing a bomb. One false move and boom--ruined. I need something relatively fool proof and repeatable like this so I don't do something stupid like misspell my name in permanent marker--haven't done it yet, but only a matter of time.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

I'm kind of embarrassed to say, but I have been sending out invoices for years with Roberstdale in my address instead of Robertsdale. A very astute customer caught that yesterday thankfully. An engineer, of course.
              I apparently entered the wrong spelling into the dictionary at some point.

So, spell check is very useful, however if you mirror the text in a WP, does spell check still work?

You can also do actual labels that look very nice and will last for ages when properly sealed with finish.
              You will need to test the paper, text, and bleeding with given logo's and methods, but that is about as fool proof as it gets once you do the testing.
              Last edited by Stytooner; 04-21-2014, 07:13 AM.
              Lee

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

I would lay out the design in a graphics (Vector art like Corel Draw, Inkscape, Illustrator etc...) and just mirror the image to get the reverse. Easier than doing it in a word processor. And MUCH easier to get exactly the layout you want...

As this sort of thing is intended to be ironed on to cotton tee shirt fabric, I would suspect that wood grain, unless extreme like weathered barn wood, but just normal raised grains wouldn't be a problem...
                Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner
                  I'm kind of embarrassed to say, but I have been sending out invoices for years with Roberstdale in my address instead of Robertsdale. A very astute customer caught that yesterday thankfully. An engineer, of course.
                  I apparently entered the wrong spelling into the dictionary at some point.

So, spell check is very useful, however if you mirror the text in a WP, does spell check still work?

You can also do actual labels that look very nice and will last for ages when properly sealed with finish.
                  You will need to test the paper, text, and bleeding with given logo's and methods, but that is about as fool proof as it gets once you do the testing.
                  the text is the same. Word does not have a mirror option for fonts etc. Mirroring is done in the printing stage - its a printer option. Well past the spell check point.
                  Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2014, 09:20 AM.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• mnmphd
                    Forum Newbie
                    • Feb 2006

Here is method to transfer inkjet images to wood I recently came across.

Download my FREE GUIDE to setting up a shop for under $1000 ►► http://mytoollist.com/I've had a lot of requests asking me to elaborate on my inkjet to wood p...

Comment

Working...