• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

what to do with 8 or more 4x36" sanding belts too old

the adhesive holding them in a loop is bad and they fall apart when used. Can't seem to find a good enough tape to hold up to the forces.
    I think #60 and #80 grits.

I used a few to make some disposable sanding blocks half wrapped around some 2x4 cut-offs. I have enough of those.

I hate to toss them but that's the next step.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Any way to re glue?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• capncarl
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Leesburg Georgia USA
      • SawStop CTS

I believe that sanding belts are end glued before the abrasive is applied to the belt. No glue that I have tried has worked more than a few seconds, just too much pulling and flexing. I purchased a bunch of 3x36 belts at a local car swap meet that turned out to be too old and all self distructed. Obviously age does matter. Keep what you might use and toss the rest.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Non-slip stair treads?

Comment

• All Thumbs
          Established Member
          • Oct 2009
          • Penn Hills, PA
          • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Cut them open and glue them down to an MDF shelf (cover both sides) and use them for lapping items you'd like perfectly flat.

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by All Thumbs
            Cut them open and glue them down to an MDF shelf (cover both sides) and use them for lapping items you'd like perfectly flat.
            isn't that what the belt sander is for except the BS is much faster?

Non-slip stair treads?
            there's an idea. Maybe staple them to the bottom of my shoes for winter traction. Or replacce the bottoms of my tennies - the courts wear them out in about 3-4 months.
            Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-22-2014, 09:29 AM.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.

Comment

• Stytooner
              Roll Tide RIP Lee
              • Dec 2002
              • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
              • BT3100

You can cut them into strips and use them in sanding blocks. Design different types for different contours. There are various ways to secure the ends. Some simple, some not as simple.
              I too am faced with what to do with a bunch of belts. The belts are worn too much to use on my SS parts, but have plenty of life left for wood working. They start out at about 80 grit and now they would be equivalent to 100 to maybe 120 grit. The belts and seams are still in tact on mine.
              Most sanding belts are vulcanized or fused at the seam. Secretly guarded recipe. If someone invents a type of glue that will bond and stay put, I want to buy some stock in that genius.
              Lee

Comment

• Stytooner
                Roll Tide RIP Lee
                • Dec 2002
                • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                I believe that sanding belts are end glued before the abrasive is applied to the belt. No glue that I have tried has worked more than a few seconds, just too much pulling and flexing. I purchased a bunch of 3x36 belts at a local car swap meet that turned out to be too old and all self distructed. Obviously age does matter. Keep what you might use and toss the rest.
                I'm not so sure that is the case. I am pretty sure the belts are made in rolls and then split to width and cut to length. Then seamed for size. Pretty sure I saw that on "How it's Made" or one such show. Oh, and you can learn a lot about manufacturing watching those type shows. They helped me in designing my manual spring maker.
                Lee

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

You've got me curious. How long did it take for these sanding belts to go bad? I have a few, but not a lot of belts.

I blew the OEM belt on my Ridgid oscillating sander, and wasn't able to get a replacement at either Home Depot or Lowes, so I picked up a couple of packs of belts from Harbor Freight, along with their 4x24 handheld belt sander. (for a decking project),

I have yet to destroy the OE belt on the HF sander, and I bought 2 2 packs of 80 grit sanding belts.

So I currently have 3 spare belts laying around.

I am just wondering how often folks experience adhesive failure on sanding belts.

I didn't buy the HF belts as a long term best option, but a short term stop gap, but so far they seem to be working pretty well.
                  Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

As far as sanding belts go, all I run now is HF belts. They are surprisingly good quality. I have never had one come apart. I do use a lot of belts though, so mine never get more than a couple months old.
                    Lee

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

Stytooner, I believe you are right, they are made out of sand paper, I hope that the sanding belt mfg's are reading this and pick up on my theory of how sanding belts are made because it seems like it would be easier than all that work cutting and splicing. The belts that I bought were probably in a hot warehouse for years destroying the glue, although I have had belts that I have had for years act the same way. But at $1 per belt it is hard to not stock up. A 32 grit sanding block is not of much use to me, so I just chunk the bad belts.

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

dave, probably 12 years or more.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• LCHIEN
                          Internet Fact Checker
                          • Dec 2002
                          • Katy, TX, USA.
                          • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by Stytooner
                          I'm not so sure that is the case. I am pretty sure the belts are made in rolls and then split to width and cut to length. Then seamed for size. Pretty sure I saw that on "How it's Made" or one such show. Oh, and you can learn a lot about manufacturing watching those type shows. They helped me in designing my manual spring maker.
                          My belts, I'm presuming by looking at them, are made in rolls, then cut on a bias so the ends are angled, not square, and then butted with tape.
                          The substrate is pretty thick, overlapping would make quite a bump. I think they were Nortons.

By cutting on the bias, you get a seam that doesn't go bump or tap tap tap when it goes by and you make one cut, continuously, not have to make two cuts like you describe with no waste if the roll is not an integer no. of belts wide.
                          Loring in Katy, TX USA

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                            dave, probably 12 years or more.
                            Ah.

Yeah at the rate I use them up, I am nowhere near in jeopardy then...

I don't expect to get more than 3 to 4 years down the road before I destroy these belts. Especially on the handheld sander. I do things with it that aren't nice... Like stripping deck boards from the nasty that won't come off with a pressure washer...

I am actually pretty happy with the Zircon belts from HF. So far anyway, they have been real effective, and tolerate ample abuse.

Comment

• All Thumbs
                              Established Member
                              • Oct 2009
                              • Penn Hills, PA
                              • BT3K/Saw-Stop

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                              isn't that what the belt sander is for except the BS is much faster?
                              Ug, no. Belt sanders are for quick, imprecise removal of stock. Sanding belts attached to flat surfaces are for slow, precise removal of stock. For example, a 36" belt attached to a flat surface could be used to flatten most fences (like a jointer, or table saw).

Can you do the same thing on a belt sander with a 10-12" platen?

No.

Comment

Working...