• Show
Clear All
  • LCHIEN
    Internet Fact Checker
    • Dec 2002
    • Katy, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 vintage 1999

Quote from Henry Ford

This probably applies to businesses and not to hobbyists but I throw it out here for any of you comtemplating you need that new tool:

"If you need a machine and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it."

At least you can tell your S.O.
    Last edited by LCHIEN; 08-13-2014, 12:20 AM.
    Loring in Katy, TX USA
    If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
    BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

So true, so true! That is a good quote!
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Neal
      Established Member
      • Apr 2012
      • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
      • Ryobi BT3000

I'll remember that when I go to get my planer in the near future. And my dust collector. Perhaps my drill press too. Anything else on my list?

Comment

• leehljp
        Just me
        • Dec 2002
        • Tunica, MS
        • BT3000/3100

I used that quote today when talking with a fellow about his computer. He always buys the cheapest thing he can get. So does one of my co-workers. They complain about spending $1500 (as I do) and even mock it. My co-worker today asked me to download a logo from a site that requires a log-in code. Her newly purchased $500 computer has all kinds of crapware and browserware making it nearly impossible to navigate inspite of having virus and botware protection.

They are $1000 richer than me but I didn't spend the better part of two weeks trying to download email and logos for the organization. No wasted time for me. (I actually downloaded a dozen logos in 5 minutes with her PW and she has been trying daily for 2 weeks. I have no clue as to what she was doing or trying.)

They paid for the more expensive machine in time wasted and frustration and calling people to come fix their computers.

My time is valuable! My more expensive machine SAVES me money and frustration. In talking with the fellow, he buys a $500 machine every other year, spends another $200 on odds and ends and still is not as productive. In the end, he spends the same as I do over a three year period and throws his computers away. I give my still working computers to grandkids.

Same with tools!

This subject is one of my pet peeves! Can't you tell!
        Last edited by leehljp; 08-13-2014, 12:43 PM.
        Hank Lee

Comment

• LCHIEN
          Internet Fact Checker
          • Dec 2002
          • Katy, TX, USA.
          • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm not going to tell you how it applies to work, needless to say I attached this quote to the bottom of my replies.

There's another famous quote going around, I guess its not so much a quote as a retort, and I'm not going to use it, I'm just thinking it in the back of my mind and that is
          "Poor planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on my part."
          Loring in Katy, TX USA
          If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
          BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
            I'm not going to tell you how it applies to work, needless to say I attached this quote to the bottom of my replies.

There's another famous quote going around, I guess its not so much a quote as a retort, and I'm not going to use it, I'm just thinking it in the back of my mind and that is
            "Poor planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on my part."
            Love it!
            Hank Lee

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              This probably applies to businesses and not to hobbyists but I throw it out here for any of you comtemplating you need that new tool:

"If you need a machine and don't buy it, you will ultimately find that you have paid for it but don't have it."

At least you can tell your S.O.
              That quote is definitely true. So many specialized tools in dentistry and each one exists for a very good reason.
              Richard

Comment

Working...