• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • trungdok
    Established Member
    • Oct 2012
    • MA

A box

I finished making a blanket chest to fit under my window a few weeks back. There are a few pine boards left over from that project so I decided to try making a box. The decision was inspired by all the beautiful boxes I've seen on here.

Well, here it is. It's made out of pine, stained, shellac, and then waxed. There are quite a few tearouts and one of the corners of the lid got chipped so I decided to make it "rustic." It's nothing to write home about, but it was interesting. You can't really tell from the pictures but there are many spots where the shellac was runny and I couldn't sand them out. Other than that, I actually enjoyed working on it a lot. I see many more boxes to be made in the future.

The few things I learned:
    1. I hate finishing work. I can spend a few days working on a project, but can't stand a day doing finishing work.
    2. Tearouts are easy to do, especially on pine. I really have to pay attention to the grain or else.
    3. Chiseling pine sucks, even with a sharp chisel.
    4. I learned how important a set on hand saw is. I used the Japanese style pull saw from HF. At first my crosscuts are not that pretty. Then I hammered the teeth to lower the set and the result was night and day.

• jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

I really like the shape of the box. Did you band saw the sides to get the curved shape?

Comment

• trungdok
      Established Member
      • Oct 2012
      • MA

jking, I used the table saw -- tilted the blade at some angle to cut up to roughly the center of the box, cut all 4 sides, flip it, and then repeat. After that, I come in with the block plane to shape it a bit.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
        Veteran Member
        • May 2003
        • Nanuet, NY, USA.
        • BT3100

Don't Apologize

Originally posted by trungdok

Well, here it is. It's made out of pine, stained, shellac, and then waxed. There are quite a few tearouts and one of the corners of the lid got chipped so I decided to make it "rustic." It's nothing to write home about, but it was interesting. You can't really tell from the pictures but there are many spots where the shellac was runny and I couldn't sand them out. Other than that, I actually enjoyed working on it a lot. I see many more boxes to be made in the future.
        Trung,
        Never apologize for your work. Everyone starts out making "mistakes", or finishes a piece that isn't up to a standard you're not experienced enough to achieve.

When I first started out and to a much minor degree today, my stuff isn't perfect. Its the sheer enjoyment you get out of creating something from a simple piece of wood. That simple board then takes on your feelings and contains a great deal of your energy, so what you may refer to as "goofs" are really the steps one takes to get better.

Some of my early stuff, although it still exists, has never been shown to anyone, including my wife. But I keep it around just look at and realize why I have gotten to a point where I feel confident in showing a finished piece to a stranger.
        There are many "woodworkers" who never have the energy to accomplish what you have, regardless of what you think about it. Keep that in mind and
        remember that at least you did do it.

Also, we never stop learning.

Bruce
        "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
        Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• JoeyGee
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2005
          • Sylvania, OH, USA.
          • BT3100-1

I like the shape and the size. I also like the "rustic" look. Good job. It beats the heck out of any box I've produced lately.

I agree on finishing. I am usually in too much of a hurry to see the finished product and I ruin the project at the end by rushing.
          Joe

Comment

• LCHIEN
            Internet Fact Checker
            • Dec 2002
            • Katy, TX, USA.
            • BT3000 vintage 1999

I'm puzzled. You say its a blanket chest. But judging from the pegboard in the background that usually has 1" spacing for the holes, it looks like your box is about 12 x 12 x 4". What kind of blanket fits in that?

But it does look nice, the sides give it a sculpted feel.
            Loring in Katy, TX USA
            If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
            BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Carpenter96
              Established Member
              • Aug 2011
              • Barrie ON Canada
              • BT 3000

He made the box out of the scraps left over from the blanket box. By the way nice job.

Regards Bob

Comment

• trungdok
                Established Member
                • Oct 2012
                • MA

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                I'm puzzled. You say its a blanket chest. But judging from the pegboard in the background that usually has 1" spacing for the holes, it looks like your box is about 12 x 12 x 4". What kind of blanket fits in that?

But it does look nice, the sides give it a sculpted feel.
                Very small ones... lol. I meant to say that the box was made with leftover woods from the blanket chest.

It is about 6" x 6" x 4" -- around there. I didn't really followed any measurement.

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                Trung,
                Never apologize for your work.
                Thanks Bruce. I have no problem showing my mistakes. I'm a newbie and always making mistakes and learning from them. If my work looks good - win for me. If my work looks bad, then someone on here would feel good about their work - win for them. It's a win-win situation After all, I just want to show something being done to contribute to the community.

Comment

• billwmeyer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2003
                  • Weir, Ks, USA.
                  • BT3000

I recently took a scroll saw course. My instructor insists that they are not mistakes. You are just altering the design.
                  Bill
                  "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

Working...