• Show
Clear All
  • pushrod
    Established Member
    • Dec 2003
    • Panama City, FL, USA.
    • BT3100

Vintage Hacksaw

A dear friend passed away unexpectedly a month or so ago. I've been trying to sell off his stuff for his daughter.

Anyone need three (yes, three!) electric jigsaws?

Anyhow, he had an old hacksaw that looks like the one pictured here:

It has "N.J.F." on the red plastic handle inlays. The "J" is stylized with an exaggerated crossbar.

It is missing the pins or whatever was used to mount the blade. Anyone know what was used? I'm thinking some small nails, cut short would hold the blade when under tension.

Cheers!
    \"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.\"
  • cabinetman
    Gone but not Forgotten RIP
    • Jun 2006
    • So. Florida
    • Delta

Originally posted by pushrod
    A dear friend passed away unexpectedly a month or so ago. I've been trying to sell off his stuff for his daughter.

Anyone need three (yes, three!) electric jigsaws?

Anyhow, he had an old hacksaw that looks like the one pictured here:

It has "N.J.F." on the red plastic handle inlays. The "J" is stylized with an exaggerated crossbar.

It is missing the pins or whatever was used to mount the blade. Anyone know what was used? I'm thinking some small nails, cut short would hold the blade when under tension.

Cheers!
    You could likely get by with a good fitting common nail, and nip off the end.

Last edited by cabinetman; 07-23-2013, 12:14 PM.

Comment

• Tom Slick
      Veteran Member
      • May 2005
      • Paso Robles, Calif, USA.
      • sears BT3 clone

I have the same hacksaw, I bought it in the 1990's. A nail cut short would function exactly the same as the original pins.

I can post a picture of the pins if you would like.
      Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work. - Thomas Edison

Comment

• pushrod
        Established Member
        • Dec 2003
        • Panama City, FL, USA.
        • BT3100

Tom, Thanks, but I took Cabinetman's advice.

I took two galvanized deck nails, marked them for the blade engagement spot and overall length, then chucked them in my drill press.

Using a Dremel cutoff wheel, I cut a notch for the blade, then cut off the unneeded body of the nail.

I don't know what the original pins looked like, but these work great!
        \"The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.\"

Comment

• cabinetman
          Gone but not Forgotten RIP
          • Jun 2006
          • So. Florida
          • Delta

Originally posted by pushrod
          Tom, Thanks, but I took Cabinetman's advice.

I took two galvanized deck nails, marked them for the blade engagement spot and overall length, then chucked them in my drill press.

Using a Dremel cutoff wheel, I cut a notch for the blade, then cut off the unneeded body of the nail.

I don't know what the original pins looked like, but these work great!
          Sometimes it's that simple fix that works.

Comment

• pelligrini
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2007
            • Fort Worth, TX
            • Craftsman 21829

I lost the screw/holder on my coping saw several years ago. I notched a carriage bolt with my dremel as a replacement and it has been working fine since.
            Erik

Comment

• annunaki
              • Jan 2008
              • White Springs, Florida
              • 21829, BT3100, 2-BT3000(15amp)

Would a small machine screw with a locking (nylon insert) nut suffice?
              http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fileodecahedron.gif

Comment

Working...