• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Old Ryobi Plunge Router

I'm now part of the "more than 1 router" club.

Just picked up an old Ryobi plunge router (R-500) from a friend for $30.

This isn't the new one --- it's from the 80s ---- and man - what a difference!

No soft-start technology --- it goes from 0 to 90 mph in a fraction of a second --- darn near whips the unit out of my hands! No lamp - but visibility is really fairly decent (plunge router is easier to see what's happening). I wasn't going to buy it - but when my friend said $30 - well - I need a plunge router, anyway.

You can really feel the difference, though - between the old machines and the new ones. The old one is made of metal! It's solid.

Statistics suggest that most woodworkers own more than one router --- so I'm happy to join the club.
    Last edited by durango dude; 05-08-2013, 02:37 PM.
  • gsmittle
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2004
    • St. Louis, MO, USA.
    • BT 3100

One of us… one of us…

I'm sure you'll find a reason for another router before long. Having a trim router is handy for small jobs and a decent non-VS, non soft start can be had from Grizzly for about $40, IIRC.

g.
    Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
    Bill & Ted

Comment

• cwsmith
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2005
      • NY Southern Tier, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Unless I'm mistaken, that was a pretty popular router in its day and also made here in the U.S.A.

I have an old Sears' Craftsman which was made by Ryobi back in the late 60's. No VS, but it has an lighted base, and a micrometer like depth adjustment. I use it with my HF dovetail jig.

I also have a Ryobi R161 from 2003, which was part of my first router table. And picked up the Ryobi R1802 three-base in 2004 on clearance for only $67. That has a plunge base which works quite well.

I've never had a problem with any of these.

CWS
      Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• JimD
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2003
        • Lexington, SC.

I have the same R-500 router, bought it new. The plunge got sticky so I put the motor in my router table. It has pretty good power and serves me well in this role. I've never even replaced the brushes.

Jim

Comment

• bmyers
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2003
          • Fishkill, NY
          • bt 3100

As a rule of thumb you should have 1 router for every 3 clamps

3 routers and tables for making kitchen cabinets is the way to go. That way you and cut rails, styles and panels without changing over setups and cut a new door in no time if something goes wrong along the way..

B
          "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

1 ROUTER FOR EVERY 3 CLAMPS? That means I will have to add on another room for routers. Say it ain't so.
            capncarl

Comment

• bmyers
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2003
              • Fishkill, NY
              • bt 3100

Originally posted by capncarl
              1 ROUTER FOR EVERY 3 CLAMPS? That means I will have to add on another room for routers. Say it ain't so.
              capncarl
              YMMV, Professional Driver on a closed course, not intended to be factual or used in real life situations, don't try this at home...

B
              "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                Internet Fact Checker
                • Dec 2002
                • Katy, TX, USA.
                • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by capncarl
                capncarl
                Sh*t, that means three clamps for every router. I'll have to buy more clamps!
                Loring in Katy, TX USA
                If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• LCHIEN
                  Internet Fact Checker
                  • Dec 2002
                  • Katy, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 vintage 1999

Here the results of my poll in 2003 on how many routers we owned.
                  The result was 2.54 routers per respondent. Zero was a possible poll answer.

This forum gives you a chance to become more familiar with how this product responds to different features and keeps testing in one place instead of posting tests all over. You may also use this forum to post questions about the functionality or use of the forums.
                  Loring in Katy, TX USA
                  If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                  BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• BigguyZ
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2006
                    • Minneapolis, MN
                    • Craftsman, older type w/ cast iron top

I have 4 routers... A Ryobi 180 I got for cheap at a pawn shop, a PC 7519 3HP plung router I bought for $150 from a pawn shop as well, a Bosch 1619 set, and a Bosch Colt.

The PC is in a Woodpecker router lift, and I use the colt all the time for trim work on casings. The Ryobi is used the lease, but I still think it's a decent router for the money.

Menards recently started carrying the Triton routers, and when I had a decent amount of $$ back from rebates I had to tell myself I really didn't need a 5th router.

Comment

• gsmittle
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2004
                      • St. Louis, MO, USA.
                      • BT 3100

Originally posted by bmyers
                      As a rule of thumb you should have 1 router for every 3 clamps
                      B
                      Hmmm… Like I needed an excuse to buy routers or clamps.

I have the infamous R1802 set, too. I keep the motor in the plunge base, since it takes a Herculean effort to remove the motor from the fixed bases. As in using a really big pair of Channellocks and a vise. NOT fun.

g.
                      Smit

"Be excellent to each other."
                      Bill & Ted

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

Originally posted by gsmittle
                        Hmmm… Like I needed an excuse to buy routers or clamps.

I have the infamous R1802 set, too. I keep the motor in the plunge base, since it takes a Herculean effort to remove the motor from the fixed bases. As in using a really big pair of Channellocks and a vise. NOT fun.

g.

g.,

Tell me about it! I talked to Ryobi Technical Support about that problem and, of course, they have NO idea and said they never "heard of any complaints". I then talked to a TTI Group "manager" about the problem too, and was told that they have "no record of any complaints". Even when I told them to check thier own forum (running at the time), they wouldn't listen.

They did send me a new motor housing, but that was worse than the original and it wouldn't fit into the either of the fixed bases at all. Checking the dimensions, it was almost a full 64th of an inch larger than the ID of the bases. Just really poor quality control from whoever the supplier was or the incoming inspection.

In any case, I took some emery paper to both the motor housing and to the mostly to the two fixed bases. It works better, but still a not at all easy. Too bad, because I think this particular model had some very decent features. The plunge base works great for me, but the other two bases are still too much trouble to bother with.... Should have been a recall for poor quality, or just an out and out parts replacement.

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• durango dude
                          • Mar 2011
                          • a thousand or so feet above insanity
                          • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Well - the Ryobi R500 does a great job cutting mortises.

I love the micro-adjust edge guide - it's great for centering mortise cuts. gotta watch the plunge gauge - it loosens a little too easily.

The motor is plenty powerful, and makes childs play cutting 1/2 x 1/2" mortises in (red) oak (3 passes --- never cut a mortise in a single pass)

One issue --- when router bits aren't put in EXACTLY right - they get stuck - and let me tell you - they get really stuck.

Last weekend - there was no way in heck I could get the collet loosened.

Ended up taking the collet off the motor housing. I tried several things - including a little heat. I took it to a woodworking friend who's also a machinist who tapped the bit out of the collet, and was then able to disassemble the collet.

It's absolutely essential that:

a) the router bit is not seated all the way down
                          b) the three lines on the collet sleeve align with the three lines on the collet.

Comment

• woodturner
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jun 2008
                            • Western Pennsylvania
                            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by durango dude

b) the three lines on the collet sleeve align with the three lines on the collet.
                            FWIW, that's good practice for any router, not just the R-500.

I have the RE500, and it's definitely one of my favorites.
                            --------------------------------------------------
                            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Brian G
                              • Jun 2003
                              • Bloomington, Minnesota.
                              • G0899

Originally posted by durango dude

I use a 1/2" or 1/4" i.d. rubber O-ring on the bit shank to keep the bit from seating all the way down.

For the R1802, which I also have, I learned to remove the fixed bases immediately after I finish using them. I find the D-handle comfortable and useful, so I'm willing to risk a swearing session trying to remove it.

According to the 1 for 3 formula above, I'm about 36 routers short.

I have the RE180PL, R1802, DW 611PK (sweet little kit), Ryobi Laminate trimmer, and MLW 5625 in the router table. I don't count the plunge base for my Dremel in the list of routers.
                              Brian

Comment

Working...