X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RJD2
    Forum Newbie
    • Feb 2006

Table saw purchase

I am looking to purchase another table saw to replace my BT3100. I have been reading online reviews, etc. to gather information. However, it appears that wanting a saw that is easy to align, maintains the alignment, and ultimately cuts straight is to much to ask, except for a cabinet saw. My BT3100 has been plagued with alignment issues for years, so I don't want to go down that road again. For example, Ridgid's R4512 well documented alignment problems for years seems to be common experience for hobbyist style offerings. I don't need a cabinet saw, and don't want to spend $1,500 plus for one anyway. Are there any table saws under $1,000 that don't have a bunch of problems? Thanks.

Ron
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

There was a review a few months ago in Wood magazine (May 2014, IIRC), of table saws. The Grizzly 0715P came out pretty well.

Comment

• Knottscott
      Veteran Member
      • Dec 2004
      • Rochester, NY.
      • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

The R4512, Cman 21833, and G0715P (which all have similar guts) have been plagued with some alignment issues, but the issue doesn't effect all of them....just enough to be concerned about, and check into.

The Delta 36-725 is getting decent early reports.

The Jet Proshop is a good saw for ~ $1000.

Check your local Craigslist for a good used saw.
      Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

I found a Powermatic 64A last year on Craigslist. $850. , slightly used with cast iron tops, router wing w/jessem lift, Beissemeyer type fence & moble base. It is a contractor type saw and not as robust as a cabinet saw, still 400+ lbs, but still exceeds my needs. I've seen several 64's since then between $500-$750.

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

If I were seriously considering table saws right now, there's a Steel City offering that I don't remember the exact model of, but it's along the 4512/Grizzly line. Otherwise, Sawstop 3HP.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JoeyGee
            Veteran Member
            • Nov 2005
            • Sylvania, OH, USA.
            • BT3100-1

If I was in the market right now, I would likely get the Grizzly JDon mentioned. If I had a much larger budget, I would get a SawStop.
            Joe

Comment

• durango dude
              • Mar 2011
              • a thousand or so feet above insanity
              • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

In the contractor group - I think Bosch makes a pretty good unit (rip fence feels similar to the BT).

I picked up a 50 yr old craftsman, myself ----- but hey - I was feeling nostalgic. My "new" machine rips faster and
              straighter than my former BT, any day.

Comment

• Knottscott
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2004
                • Rochester, NY.
                • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by Cochese
                If I were seriously considering table saws right now, there's a Steel City offering that I don't remember the exact model of, but it's along the 4512/Grizzly line. Otherwise, Sawstop 3HP.
                Probably a 35990 or 35950. Craftsman has the 22116, which is made by SC and identical to the former SC 35930.
                Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...