• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Take plywood deal?

I am in need of a few sheets of decent shop grade ply and found a seller on craigslist who says she has 10 4x8 sheets of 11 ply 3/4 birch plywood. At this point I have agreed to $110 for 4 sheets but I wondered if I should grab the lot.

Storage is always a pain but I will be building some new shop cabinets pretty soon. Soooo if its good stuff is this a good deal? Do I take all 10?
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • vaking
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2005
    • Montclair, NJ, USA.
    • Ryobi BT3100-1

I don't know what "shop grade plywood" is and how much it goes for. I know that at HD cabinet grade pine plywood (23/32" thickness) is $30 per sheet and birch ply is over $45 per sheet.
    Alex V

Comment

• russde
      Forum Newbie
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by poolhound
      I am in need of a few sheets of decent shop grade ply and found a seller on craigslist who says she has 10 4x8 sheets of 11 ply 3/4 birch plywood. At this point I have agreed to $110 for 4 sheets but I wondered if I should grab the lot.

Storage is always a pain but I will be building some new shop cabinets pretty soon. Soooo if its good stuff is this a good deal? Do I take all 10?
      If it looks good in person, I'd buy it all, I can't get it anywhere other than HD or Lowes around here and as vaking said it's pricey. ~$27/sheet it's a bargain if in 'new' condition.
      R

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by russde
        If it looks good in person, I'd buy it all, I can't get it anywhere other than HD or Lowes around here and as vaking said it's pricey. ~$27/sheet it's a bargain if in 'new' condition.
        R
        yep, sounds like a plan
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Originally posted by poolhound

Shop grade birch around here from the lumber yard is anywhere from about $35-$45, depending on how much the last truck was.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by vaking
            I know that at HD cabinet grade pine plywood (23/32" thickness) is $30 per sheet and birch ply is over $45 per sheet.
            My local HD stocks various grades of birch - the "Baltic birch" is available in a lower grade at around $25/sheet, and the higher grade at around $45/sheet. So out the door with discounts, etc. the lower grade is around $20.

Just pointing out that the subject plywood could be the lower end stuff. I use it for shop cabinets, etc. and it is OK, but I would not want to pay a premium for it.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Black wallnut
              cycling to health
              • Jan 2003
              • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
              • BT3k 1999

If it is flat and in good shape and if you have a place to store it that will keep it in the same condition why not buy it all.
              Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

From the prices quoted it does not look like a landslide great deal, but I don't know if everyone is comparing apples with apples. This is 11 ply, is everyone else's? I don't believe I've seen 11 ply birch at my lowes and hd. If you can store it, buy it! Remember, plywood warps like plywood.
                capncarl

Comment

• All Thumbs
                  Established Member
                  • Oct 2009
                  • Penn Hills, PA
                  • BT3K/Saw-Stop

11 ply is likely import, I'd be careful with that stuff, the price is no bargain if you run into quality issues.

Comment

• poolhound
                    Veteran Member
                    • Mar 2006
                    • Phoenix, AZ
                    • BT3100

Well the jury is in and I guess it will be no surprise that this was NOT the good stuff.

Surface quality is pretty good and the plys seem to have minimal voids (could only see a few very small ones on the edges) but not sure it would be the most stable plywood you have ever worked with.

I would say its about the same as Lowes or borg HW ply. I bought the 4 sheets I need to use this weekend for ~$26 each (approx half retail). They will probably be fine but I doubt they would stay flat for long if stored for any length of time so I passed on buying the whole batch.

They guy said he gets them on a fairly regular basis so if they work out OK he will probably have more if and when I need them.

So the verdict is passable and reasonable value if you cut and join them quick but Baltic Birch or Apple Ply this aint!
                    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                    techzibits.com

Comment

• All Thumbs
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2009
                      • Penn Hills, PA
                      • BT3K/Saw-Stop

It is my theory that the inner plies of this imported stuff are fairly wet when the plywood is pressed, and this accounts for the twisting/bowing/delams we see. It would be nice if someone with a decent moisture meter would check the moisture of a fresh sheet some time.

Comment

Working...