• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

More Rigid Problems

After my Ridgid sander died a week ago, now I find that the batteries on my Ridgid drill/impact driver are crapping out. The battery indicator lights say the charge is full but they only last about 10 minutes, and still show 3 lights but the tool is dead. They are 1 yr old this month. It's curious that both batteries have the same problem. Before I spend a lot of time troubleshooting I'm going to try the bring it back to HD exchange that happened last week. The low capacity batteries that come with the starter drill sets must be like the ink cartridges that come with new printers, just enough to get you started! I'm getting a bad taste in my mouth with Ridgid tools.
    capncarl
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I stopped by HD today with my failed Ridgid batteries, and remembered why I avoid this place. Last week a different customer service counter persons whirled right through, said they take care of the warranty. Today's counter person didn't look like she had ever seen a drill battery, and she proceeded I'm telling me that they must test it and called the tool dept mgr. He laughed at her and said they couldn't test them, and they did swap out Ridgid warranty items. She fussed and whined at him about that's not the way it was suppose to be done. I told him I'd just handle the warranty through Ridgid, he thanked me and left her standing there fussing. I purchased a 2 pack @ $99 of the 3AH Ridgid batteries to run on while the warranty goes through, and ran into the tool mgr on the floor. He laughed and agreed with me that they never do anything twice the same way.
    capncarl

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

Your experience is mine with HD. I avoid the customer service counter as much as I can. The Ridgid Lifetime Warranty has more to do with a "limited" version than Lifetime, IMO. It may not be because of Ridgid as much as the local customer service person's ignorance and illogical reasoning and misplaced "emphasis".
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• capncarl
        Veteran Member
        • Jan 2007
        • Leesburg Georgia USA
        • SawStop CTS

Update on Ridgid warranty. So far I am not impressed, at all. I feel like I was duped, like being called a stupid voter, except I can do something about it!
        Since my "came with the set" batteries died after 11 months of gentle use I purchsed the 2 pack of 3 AH batteries while I had the dead batteries replaced via the lifetime warranty. I've had trouble from day one with the Ridgid web site log in, so after several hours time wasted today trying to register the new batteries I was notified that the new batteries did not qualify for the lifetime service agreement like their advertisement (EVEN BATTERIES) said. Grrrrr. Liar liar. Next I filed a repair claim for the 2 bad batteries. That done, I promptly recieved an email from Ridgid stating that their new policy was for the customer to take the defective tool to the store for them to handle. That was what I had originally done and told by the customer service lady they didn't do that! I printed the email and headed to HD with my 2 dead batteries to have a showdown with customer service. The sweet young customer service lady, different one from the other day, immediately said, sure we will handle it, go get a 2 pack of batteries and we will be happy to swap them out! They only had 3 Ah battery's but that was ok by her and I was happy! If the other customer service lady had not had a chip on her shoulder I would not have spent an additional $99 on batteries. Not sure the twice the price tools and warranty pitfalls live up to the lure of lifetime service warranty!
        capncarl

Comment

• woodynoob
          Forum Newbie
          • Apr 2013

I think manufacturers don't like to freely replace lithium-ion batteries, because 99pct of the time, they weren't taken care of properly. Not saying that this is what happened here, but....

Unlike lead-acid batteries, it damages them to keep them in a fully recharged state. If they are not going to be used for a few days, they should be discharged to the 40pct level.

Also, heat is especially bad for them, so keeping them in a car is a bad idea. Refrigerator is better. Finally, I read that if the battery is discharged too much, then a safety kicks in and cuts off power. The battery is not permanently dead, but some chargers may not be able to get it going again, so it will look like a faulty battery.

I didn't know this until I went into the RC electric world for awhile. They have special chargers that will bring the batteries down to 40pct for storage. Wish they had that for power tools!

Comment

• cwsmith
            Veteran Member
            • Dec 2005
            • NY Southern Tier, USA.
            • BT3100-1

Capncarl,

I'm still a Ridgid fan, and my batteries (NiCads) have held up well since I purchased the original cordless tools back in 2005. I have two 14.4 Volt and two 18 Volt tools. However, the 12 Volt Li-Ion tools that I purchased in 2008 or 2009 are terrible with failures occuring in less than two years of minor service. Problem that I have with Ridgid, is that here in NY they seem to change their service centers all too often; and in the case of the cordless "Job Max", the tool proved almost worthless. (I've replaced it with a much more dependable HF corded multi-tool, for a third the price.)

BUT, I think you may have misunderstood the LLSA statement to some degree. I don't have it right in front of me, but I do believe that the statement you refer to, "even batteries", is in the context of the entire tool which was purchased with THOSE batteries. Basically, when you buy a cordless tool, the entire tool, including its batteries are covered if you properly register them into the LLSA program. IT is well known (at least on the Ridgid forum) that individually purchased batteries are NOT eligible for the LLSA... hence your difficulty in trying to register.

A major problem, from my point of view, is that Home Depot folks are ill-informed and not educated to the Ridgid product line and it's LLSA. While it seems like a real advantage to have an "orange apron" simply hand you a replacement, one needs to realize that steps have to be taken to get that replacement registered into the LLSA system.

In the case of LLSA replacement batteries, one has to call Ridgid Customer Support and let the know the serial numbers of both the old and new replacement batteries. If that isn't done, then when the replacements fail, there would be no record and the results will be that LLSA replacement will not happen.

I hope this helps,

CWS
            Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

I'll try to attach a photo of the Ridgid limited lifetime service agreement. It says free batteries for life.
              Attached Files

Comment

• capncarl
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007
                • Leesburg Georgia USA
                • SawStop CTS

I'll try to attach a photo of the Ridgid limited lifetime service agreement. It says free batteries for life. Didn't turn out too good, I'll try something else.

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

This is what the garbled thing I posted above said

LIFETIME SERVICE AGREEMENT FOR RIDGIDŽ HAND HELD POWER TOOLS, STATIONARY POWER TOOLS AND PNEUMATIC TOOLS
                  In addition to the 3-Year Limited Service Warranty currently included with RIDGIDŽ Brand Hand Held Power Tools Stationary Power Tools, and Pneumatic Tools, purchasers of these products may elect for a limited time to receive a free Lifetime Service Agreement. To accept this Lifetime Service Agreement, you must register your product and submit proof of purchase as described below. The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGIDŽ Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service and free replacement parts subject to the limitations set forth below.
                  The Lifetime Service Agreement is available free of charge, for a limited time on all RIDGIDŽ Brand hand held power tools, stationary power tools and pneumatic tools, subject to the terms and conditions stated below. Customers have 90 days from date of purchase to register tools for the Lifetime Service Agreement

HD has replaced a couple of batteries for me so far. Now I have to figure out how to get the warranty on the ones they replaced.
                  capncarl

Comment

• cwsmith
                    Veteran Member
                    • Dec 2005
                    • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

Yes, just like I said, "provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGIDŽ Brand tools".

Two key words here: "qualifying" and "tools". Separately purchased batteries do not qualify, and they by themselves are not tools. The LLSA is for the purchase of certain tools, and in the case of 'cordless' tool purchases, the batteries that come with them are included in the such purchase and are therefore qualified for LLSA registration.

That is the general interpretation, and is what historically is Ridgid's (actually Techtronics International) policy. It should be noted that TTI uses the "Ridgid" brand name under license, and 'Ridgid/Ridge Tool' is owned by Emerson Electric which has different warranties for other tools.

As far as figuring out what to do with battery replacements, the policy is that when you receive a new battery, as replacement and not purchased separately, you need to call Ridgid Customer Service and tell them that you now have a replacement battery, give them the new SN#, and tell them it replaces SN# so-and-so.

Sort of a PIA, IMO, but that is the rule as I know it. Apparently they don't have a system in place with the Service Centers to do this automatically.

This is also what makes a good-hearted 'orange apron' just giving you a new battery off the shelf a major problem. While convenient for you, it completely circumvents the LLSA system.

Capncarl, please understand that I'm not making an argument with you, but just trying to explain the system as I'm familiar with it. If you can somehow get past this challenge, all the more power to you and I certainly wish you luck with that.

Best wishes,

CWS

Comment

• capncarl
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2007
                      • Leesburg Georgia USA
                      • SawStop CTS

No argument by me, I started this thread to generate conversation concerning the Ridgid tools and the warranty, and it has done just that! We all have plenty to learn and it doesn't necessary have to be from our own mistakes.
                      We can't always sing phrase about these tools that are offered just because they worked good building the brother in laws deck. If it is faulty and has problems our experience could possibly guide someone here with valuable information they could use in a purchase decision.

My experience with Ridgid higher priced tools has revealed a lot, and prompted me to do research that I would not have normally done. I found several sites where individuals dissected the 18v li batteries and charger and explained its faults and shortfalls. I won't validate their research and statements because my observations made me a lot more critical of the company and the inferior products and the flawed engineering decisons they used.
                      Gotta go now, headed back to HD to try to get them to document the new batteries as replacement for batteries replaced by the LLSA.

Comment

• leehljp
                        Just me
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Tunica, MS
                        • BT3000/3100

As written in CnC's post: "The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGIDŽ Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service and free replacement parts subject to the limitations set forth below."

THAT makes a statement of no "ifs, ands or buts," but an "absolute" in terms of the original owner.

ANY statement to misconstrue that, or "leading" or to say that does not mean that is a deception - which is what I have major problems with. Wordings to make something look one way but is in fact the opposite is more likely - and these are written so that even customers will proclaim them - in order to gain sales - I have a major major problem with that company.

This is why I have stayed away from Ridgid as much as possible. People here for some time have proclaimed Ridgids Lifetime Warranty or Limited Lifetime Warranty and then we hear this kind of run-around - well 2 + 2 don't add up to 4. What gets me are those who say "So what?" it is a Lifetime Warranty. NO IT AIN'T.

My complaint isn't against Ridgid tools per se, but against deception the company uses with the warranty to sell the tools.

Either CnC gets lifetime battery replacements for his tools forever (for him) or their "warranty" is a lie.

That said - I greatly admire the ability of CWS to be able to "read" such warranties, implied or not, limited or not and be able to explain it.
                        Last edited by leehljp; 12-14-2014, 02:24 PM.
                        Hank Lee

Comment

• cwsmith
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2005
                          • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                          • BT3100-1

I just don't see much question to it all. You buy a cordless tool, which includes a battery or batteries, and that tool and it's serviceable components, including the batteries are covered under the Limited Lifetime Service Agreement. NO question about that usually. However, that only applies to the tool purchase, and it does not cover batteries that are individually purchased.

No where on the individual battery package or paperwork does it say anything about registering for the LLSA.

Usually the problem with Ridgid and it's service revolves around someone who claims to have registered for the LLSA, and it never shows up in the system. Years later you go to get service that record says you never registered and then the individual complains. Question of course is whether or not they really went to the extra steps of properly registering the tool and therein ls the problem. Over on the Ridgid forum there has been an abundance of complaint and discussion about the registration system, it's need ("jumping through hoops"), and the responsibility of the purchaser to follow up on such things.

CWS

Comment

• leehljp
                            Just me
                            • Dec 2002
                            • Tunica, MS
                            • BT3000/3100

CWS:
                            As written in CnC's post: "The Lifetime Service Agreement provides the original owner of qualifying RIDGIDŽ Brand tools a lifetime of free replacement batteries, free service and free replacement parts subject to the limitations set forth below."

Again, what I hear you say is somewhat contrary to the above. "Lifetime of Free Replacement Batteries." Where is there a limit on that. OF COURSE over a period of 10 years there will be some modification of batteries offered for sale (and even replacement,) soooo the original form/specs will not be available in toto, but the upgaded/updated ones will. Still the warranty says "Lifetime OF free replacement batteries (plural)." Nothing about "changes" changes that statement.

Kinda reminds me of the ATT's "Unlimited Data" offered to the original iPhone subscribers for life of the subscriber. Of course ATT tried to change it and got sued. There are still a few subscribers who still get total unlimited data based on the original plan back in 2007 and it carries forward to the same number when they buy new iPhones on their own.

I think this warranty deal could be winnable in court.
                            Last edited by leehljp; 12-14-2014, 06:49 PM.
                            Hank Lee

Comment

• woodturner
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jun 2008
                              • Western Pennsylvania
                              • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by woodynoob
                              Unlike lead-acid batteries, it damages them to keep them in a fully recharged state. If they are not going to be used for a few days, they should be discharged to the 40pct level.
                              FWIW, LiIon batteries can be safely stored charged, or not, it makes no difference and will not harm them either way. However, discharging them to 40% will likely damage them, as they are usually discharged at too high a rate.

Also, heat is especially bad for them, so keeping them in a car is a bad idea. Refrigerator is better.
                              Excessive heat (>120F or so) harms all battery technologies, but LiIon batteries can also be damaged by the cold - so best not to put them in the refrigerator or freezer.

Finally, I read that if the battery is discharged too much, then a safety kicks in and cuts off power.
                              Yes, LiIon chemistry is more likely to be damaged by excessive discharge, so the packs do have limiting circuitry. However, it does not affect the ability to charge them.

They have special chargers that will bring the batteries down to 40pct for storage. Wish they had that for power tools!
                              That's curious. I'm glad they don't have them for power tools, since those dischargers damage the batteries (discharge at too high a rate, heating and damaging the batteries).

Important reminder: LiIon batteries readily explode, particularly when charged or discharged at too high a rate. Don't charge them in a non-approved charger and don't discharge them except in an approved tool. Don't try to mix brands or applications.
                              --------------------------------------------------
                              Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

Working...