Merry Christmas all, what tools did you score?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Merry Christmas all, what tools did you score?

Please use this thread to discuss your thoughts on gift giving at Christmas time. Anything goes.
    Last edited by tfischer; 12-28-2014, 11:47 PM. Reason: Purpose of thread has changed, so I have re-stated my question.
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

The only tool I received was a pair of Knipex electricians pliers.. But I also received a $75 gift card from Woodcraft (we have a store near by).

I guess I don't really expect much in the way of tools. The Missus hardly knows what to get when I provide the specific item number, and then gripes about how much they cost, when I do.

Comment

• jking
      • May 2003
      • Des Moines, IA.
      • BT3100

I received some clamps and a battery tester for 12V batteries. I still have some presents coming, so, there might be more. But, I'm not expecting anything big.

Comment

• cwsmith
        Veteran Member
        • Dec 2005
        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
        • BT3100-1

I got a gift card to Harbour Freight, which is probably the next best thing for me. Last year I got a the anniversary edition of Grizzly's 10-inch wet grinder. Other than check it out to make sure it was complete and in good working order. I still haven't put it into use and it sits here in the box waiting for me to expand the shop to make use for it.

CWS
        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Richard in Smithville
          Veteran Member
          • Oct 2006
          • On the TARDIS
          • BT 3100

I'm at the point where any tool purchases would be big ticket items. LOML and I don't go into the big gift idea any more.

Although I did get a nice bottle of single malt scotch from LOML.
          From the "deep south" part of Canada

Richard in Smithville

http://richardspensandthings.blogspot.com/

Comment

• wardprobst
            • Jan 2006
            • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
            • Craftsman 22811

Lie-Neilson 3/8 mortise chisel and 3/8 corner chisel, gradually doing more hand tool work. Great Christmas for us just glad to be here or anywhere.
            DP
            www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

I was really lucky this year in good part due to actually sending Santa a wish list. Between various parts of the family I am now the proud owner of:

a set of 4 narex bench chisels
              a pair of narex skew chisels
              burnisher
              BucketBoss duckwear superBib-Apron
              hook rule
              A selection of rockler goodies including the bench cookie set and the Silicon glue kit

I better make some good sawdust this year.
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• radhak
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Miramar, FL
                • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Y'all are so lucky, and may not even realize it. You have loved ones willing to know about and buy gifts for you in the 'shop. My girls (wife and daughters) are perplexed by what I do in there, and they only see that the garage is 'full of tools and stuff' which they believe should only be reduced, not added to.

Maybe they are right - it could always do with some cleanup; but the bottom-line is, if I want anything for woodworking, I have to get it myself.

Please post some pictures for the rest of us to ogle over...
                It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
                - Aristotle

Comment

• cwsmith
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2005
                  • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                  • BT3100-1

Originally posted by radhak
                  Y'all are so lucky, and may not even realize it. You have loved ones willing to know about and buy gifts for you in the 'shop. My girls (wife and daughters) are perplexed by what I do in there, and they only see that the garage is 'full of tools and stuff' which they believe should only be reduced, not added to.

Maybe they are right - it could always do with some cleanup; but the bottom-line is, if I want anything for woodworking, I have to get it myself.

Please post some pictures for the rest of us to ogle over...
                  I understand your plight. Not bragging (well, maybe a little !), my late FIL was an award winning hardware manager at the local Sears, and my wife is terrific when it comes to understanding tools and hardware. Not sure how that came about, but she absolutely loves Harbor Freight, and most any hardware/tool dept. or store. She's more comfortable there or in an autoshop then she is in a dress store... and she absolutely hates jewelry, which certainly make buying her gifts a lot less expensive.

On the other hand, she's the greatest cook, house keeper, and host in the family!

How lucky can a guy get,

CWS
                  Last edited by cwsmith; 12-27-2014, 11:41 AM.
                  Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

I usually just buy what I want throughout the year, and anything at Christmas is a bonus. I like to give.

I got a scratch awl, a metric 32 tape measure, some turning calipers and some money to Highland. Going to go down tomorrow and buy a 150/3 and perhaps a 1281 square. I found out doing my Christmas project that things are rotten when it comes to being tuned up.
                    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• atgcpaul
                      Veteran Member
                      • Aug 2003
                      • Maryland
                      • Grizzly 1023SLX

My wife knows I'm particular about my tools so no tool gifts--which is fine with me. My folks are driving through DE on the way back here with our kids and I reserved a Super Dust Deputy at the New Castle Woodcraft. My Dad will pick it up on the way back today. Bonus that it will be tax free.

Comment

• sailor55330
                        Established Member
                        • Jan 2010

Nothing. There are years you are better off forgetting Christmas--just try to make those around you happy.

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

Last edited by tfischer; 12-28-2014, 11:47 PM.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Mind you, my anniversary, Christmas, and Birthday are all in quick order... My score on tools was light, but REALLY needed. My Irwin Marples pull saws were trashed, I scored a Shark double cut pull saw, flush trim pull saw, and dovetail pull saw (All replaceable blades unlike the Marples, which theoretically were replaceable but no replacements are available!).

Non tool related, I scored a Fender Rumble V3 500 watt bass combo amp. I am selling my older / smaller Crate amps now... I wanted to consolidate a small gigging amp and practice amp, get a more flexible MUCH larger gigging amp that I could use for practice as well... Several colleagues of mine are trying to form / reform from what is left "Blue Orbit" and I needed an amp that was light enough for me to haul around, but with enough oomph to cut through...

Delivery on the amp is pending, Fender has had huge success with the V3 Rumbles and they were back ordered... Mine should be here first week of January though...

MUCH more important than the stuff that came in for the holidays though, I was able to spend quality time with my wife, Brother in law and his girlfriend, my father in law etc... over the holidays. We went into Houston twice to see the first time Handel's Messiah performed by the Houston Symphony, and then just this Saturday to see Manheim Steamroller. We also went to Nassau Bay to see Clear Creek Community Theater's production of Miracle of 34th street.
                            Last edited by dbhost; 12-29-2014, 10:11 AM.
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
                              Veteran Member
                              • Jul 2003
                              • BT3100

Last edited by tfischer; 12-28-2014, 11:46 PM.

Comment

Working...