X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Shop upgrade

So I finally got around to start my list I posted on the 2014 shop outlook thread over a year ago. I leveled the concrete and started to install the wood floors I bought last year at a close deal from Lumber Liquidators. They're not the best quality. But at 20 cents a sqf I didn't mind. Besides I mainly want them make standing and walking a bit more comfortable and save the occasional dropped hand tool. The flooring actually looks better than in the pics. I just tracked in so much dust from walking in and out.

The ominous looking trench is to house the ducting that goes from my DC to my tablesaw. I had terrible results with my old set up largely to the very long path I had to take because I didn't want the 4 inch ducting to be on the floor. Initially I wast just going to bury the ducting in the concrete. But I got scared that I would have to a hard, to impossible, time cleaning it if it ever got clogged. So I decided to make a removable cover the trench which I will attach the ducting to.

The installation isn't hard. The hard part is musical chairs I have to play with all my tools. And even then I still had to most of the bigger tools outside under a covered carport. Hoping to be done by the end of the week. Then it's time to work on the electrical and maybe, finally, start woodworking again.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

That's looking great, and sounds like an excellent deal on the flooring. I keep thinking I'd like to do something similar (with the flooring) but just can't decide how I want to do it. I once saw a nice plank/peg-style floor someone did with plywood (was it here?) that appeals to me. I will have the same problem with "musical chairs" on the tools - thankfully, when the time comes, everything is on a mobile base.
    Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• atgcpaul
      Veteran Member
      • Aug 2003
      • Maryland
      • Grizzly 1023SLX

How deep is that trench? Did you break through the floor to do that?

That's going to be really nice to work in when you're done-which looks like soon.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Nice work, don't I know about the musical chairs!
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

$.20 is a nice deal, for that I'd do my shop as well.

Considered some at HD for $.79, but in the end I said no. I don't want to put much more money into the shop. Not $120 worth.

But at $30? Absolutely.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• jussi
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by atgcpaul
            How deep is that trench? Did you break through the floor to do that?

That's going to be really nice to work in when you're done-which looks like soon.
            It's around 8" x 12" which is wider than needed because I eventually want to upgrade to 6" diameter ducting. And it's a little deeper because I used 2 - 45 degree elbows instead of a single 90 to allow for better air flow.

Yes I had to do a little jack hammering.

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Nice job Jussi. I notice you have far too many Bessey clamps you should send some over to me...
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by poolhound
                Nice job Jussi. I notice you have far too many Bessey clamps you should send some over to me...
                A lot of them are Jet so you wouldn't like them

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by jussi
                  A lot of them are Jet so you wouldn't like them
                  I know but I would suffer as would my other Besseys having to share space with Jets on the clamp rack.
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

Working...