• Show
Clear All
  • Sweet Willy
    Established Member
    • May 2011
    • Near Chattanooga, TN
    • ridgid 3650

Drill press laser guide by peachtree

I mounted one of these to my drill press today. Like all the reviews I read it was a PITA to line up the lasers but once it was done it works really well. My only complaint so far is the laser lines are too wide so the sweet spot takes a little getting used to. Otherwise, sweet.
    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
    Dennis

Sweet Willy
    sigpic
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Originally posted by Sweet Willy
    I mounted one of these to my drill press today. Like all the reviews I read it was a PITA to line up the lasers but once it was done it works really well. My only complaint so far is the laser lines are too wide so the sweet spot takes a little getting used to. Otherwise, sweet.
    This has been on my "would like to have" list for some time. Seems silly they can't use a sharper line though... the whole point of the thing is to drill accurate holes and if the line is basically a crayon width that isn't going to happen

Comment

• LCHIEN
      Internet Fact Checker
      • Dec 2002
      • Katy, TX, USA.
      • BT3000 vintage 1999

sometimes on those different kinds of lasers the lines are very bright to accommodate all kinds of ambient lighting. Its possible that your shop lighting is dim, the lines are so bright it makes it the lines shine so much that its hard to see the workpiece. Likewise very bright lines are also going to appear wider.

You might try either increasing the brightness of your shop lighting or dimming the laser lines by using some darker filters.

I've had a few DP lasers and one of them drew a X which usually intersected well with the horizontal/vertical lines I would draw.

My present laser has one horizontal line and the other at 45 degrees. The horizontal line, when I line up work, either obscures the horizontal line or the horizontal line I drew is thick and dark enough to lower the reflection of the laser line so that its hard to see.

I really prefer the X pattern for that reason.
      Loring in Katy, TX USA
      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Sweet Willy
        Established Member
        • May 2011
        • Near Chattanooga, TN
        • ridgid 3650

Yup, that's how mine works with the X. You have to line the first laser vertically and at the 45 and then the second laser at the 45. It aint perfect, but as I've said elsewhere, my 70 year old eyes aint what they used to be and the laser X makes it easier to see the dot where I want to drill.
        And you're right TFISCHER, the laser on the mitre saw is very narrow and defined, can't understand why that's not possible for the DP.
        Last edited by Sweet Willy; 04-19-2014, 09:36 PM.
        In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
        Dennis

Sweet Willy
        sigpic

Comment

Working...