• Show
Clear All
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

Now this is a workbench

My son sent this to me.

I would prefer to have a flat top - so I'd skip the wrap-around metal ---- but I have to admit - it's impressive.

A few weeks ago, I got sick with Strep-Throat and couldn't record audio for my videos ... so I built a "super-station" instead. Blood and sweat went into ma...
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

Some cool ideas there. My only thought is... that's a lot of outlets, and he's running it all off of a single 10A power strip. If I were building this I'd want at least 2 dedicated 20A circuits without having a power strip in the mix. He's unlikely to be using a lot of tools at the same time, but with a bench that big he might occasionally have a "helper" out there, and it also sounds like there's an air compressor in the mix which could kick on at any time, for example while he's using the router.

Comment

• JeffG78
      Established Member
      • Jan 2007
      • Northville, Michigan - a Detroit suburb
      • BT3100

I see quite a few things that don't work for me. First, there are way too many random switches. Next, there isn't enough power. One 20A circuit isn't enough to run multiple tools at once. I don't see any provisions for dust collection. Where does the router dust go? The diamond plate isn't very wood working friendly, and finally, the timer would likely click off right in the middle of a cut, potentially causing damage to the project. It looks cool, but I'll keep my benches.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • BT3100

Originally posted by JeffG78
        I see quite a few things that don't work for me. First, there are way too many random switches. Next, there isn't enough power. One 20A circuit isn't enough to run multiple tools at once. I don't see any provisions for dust collection. Where does the router dust go? The diamond plate isn't very wood working friendly, and finally, the timer would likely click off right in the middle of a cut, potentially causing damage to the project. It looks cool, but I'll keep my benches.
        Yeah, the guy seemed to be a little afraid of electricity. He couldn't quite bring himself to hardwire the outlets (they're plugged into a power strip??) and things like the timer indicate that he doesn't really trust his work, so he wants to make sure it's clicked off if he forgets.

I'm not familiar with this guy's show/channel/v-blog/whatever it is but it seems like he's more of a tinkerer than a craftsman maybe?

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

It's a bit of a faff.
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• vaking
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2005
            • Montclair, NJ, USA.
            • Ryobi BT3100-1

Router table with no provisions for a fence. it can only be used with bits that have bearings.
            Metal working vise, not woodworking.
            Metal edging around the surface not friendly for tools like planes.
            No provisions for clamping anything to the bench.
            It is not a woodworking bench at all.
            Despite metal-working vise it does not look like metalworking bench either - aluminum edging will not hold for metal work.
            I don't know what it is, I will pass.
            Alex V

Comment

• LCHIEN
              Internet Fact Checker
              • Dec 2002
              • Katy, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 vintage 1999

Agree with what ALex says, in addition
              Bench power on a timer - seems dangerous.
              Tons of unlabeled hidden switches. not good
              Use of standard lighting switches for controlling outlets for power tools. Not a good idea.
              Use of lights seems a bit frivolous, I could give him a pass on that, though.
              Cabinets seem deep and tall, not much I could put in there.
              IN addition to the lack of router fence, where's the dust collection? Router well Lights will help with the dust, a lot (just kidding).
              serious hold down issues - where do you clamp work on this bench and don't say that yellow vise.

Oh yeah, and he said the router power switch (unlabeled of course) is hidden and remote from the router (presumably to keep yourself from being hurt by the router when you turn it on...) But how do you then turn it off in an emergency? (if you or those standing around you can find and or reach the hidden switch.)

Final observation - there seems to be multiple levels of swicthes in series, e.g. timer, GFI, master power strip, hidden switch and finally the power tool switch, all in different locations. I find that too many switches you forget which ones are on and off and you start trying to start a tool you sometimes get surprised when it comes on unexpectedly or not at all and then unexpectedly as you try more switches. Frustrating and potentially dangerous. Not clear to anyone but the builder and he even can forget, what controls what.

But its good that you posted... interesting to see what hidden dangers our fellow experienced woodworkers can spot in a shop setup.

yeah and where is that compressor, inside? and powered from where?
              Last edited by LCHIEN; 04-21-2014, 11:32 PM.
              Loring in Katy, TX USA
              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• atgcpaul
                Veteran Member
                • Aug 2003
                • Maryland
                • Grizzly 1023SLX

No doubt, not an ideal woodworking bench. However, if you look at this guy's other videos, he's a tinkerer with mostly electrical projects (although that would make you think he'd plan the electrical better). I didn't see any woodworking projects.

Comment

• bmyers
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jun 2003
                  • Fishkill, NY
                  • bt 3100

He should be named "The King of Random ON/OFF switches" but I guess it's not as catchy..

B
                  "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• durango dude
                    • Mar 2011

Man - you guys are brutal!

(although I tend to agree with most of your comments)

Comment

• bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

In all honesty he built it so he can do whatever the heck he wants. That's the way I build stuff. If his desire is an orphaned router, diamond plate and more under the bench LED lighting than most 1998 Hoda Accords in So Cal, So Be It..

"Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• LCHIEN
                        Internet Fact Checker
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Katy, TX, USA.
                        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by bmyers
                        In all honesty he built it so he can do whatever the heck he wants. That's the way I build stuff. If his desire is an orphaned router, diamond plate and more under the bench LED lighting than most 1998 Hoda Accords in So Cal, So Be It..

if that was the goal, he did a great job.
                        Loring in Katy, TX USA
                        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• tfischer
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jul 2003
                          • BT3100

You can get the LED lighting and the little remote controller for about $20 on eBay so that's not a big deal, it's just eye candy, like the sign. I have no problem with that. What I don't understand is why some of the things that were meant to be functional, aren't.

Comment

• gerti
                            Veteran Member
                            • Dec 2003
                            • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                            • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                            However, if you look at this guy's other videos, he's a tinkerer with mostly electrical projects
                            Makes the diamond plate an odd choice, being conductive and all...

Comment

• durango dude
                              • Mar 2011

I don't get the diamond plate at all!!!

I worked pretty darn hard to make a truly flat surface for my work bench --

Comment

Working...