• Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

steel wool and copper

In our continuing battle with the mice in our house, we've been cleaning, cleaning, cleaning this weekend. Years ago I had stuffed steel wool into a sink cabinet base where the dishwasher drain and supply lines enter. Today I decided to stuff more steel wool in that space and notice that the copper supply line had turned green where the steel wool was touching.

I don't remember the rules on what metals should/shouldn't touch in a plumbing setting. Should I replace the steel wool with something synthetic or fiberglass insulation? Do I risk corroding that copper pipe?

Thanks,
    Paul
  • Condoman44
    Established Member
    • Nov 2013
    • CT near Norwich
    • Ryobi BT3000

I had a pinhole leak in the cold water line at the last place I lived. On inspection the copper clamp was actually only copper plated and made of steel.

It is not wise to put copper next to steel for this reason. I always suspected the original plumbing contractor put these in place for future business as it was in an easy to replace spot.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Paul the green is corrosion, you already have it and should continue to keep an eye on it, after removing and replacing the steel wool. I am not sure but you might be able to stop/slow it with some dielectic gel.
      The rule of thumb is don't let dissimilar metals touch.
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...