• Show
Clear All
  • Wildwillis
    Forum Newbie
    • Nov 2013
    • Syracuse, NY
    • Craftsman 21829

Wanted: Micro-Positioner

First off, I thought I'd take this opportunity to say thanks to all of you who've contributed to this site. I bought my Craftsman 21829 just about a year ago and found the site. I used the saw a lot the first couple of months, took a bit of a break when our daughter was born, and have been getting back into some projects lately. This site has been an absolutely fantastic resource. I'm a complete beginner but I've been learning a lot by searching frequently...unfortunately most of what I've been reading comes from posts from years ago so I don't feel like an active participant.

Anyway, I'm frequently finding myself feeling sad that I didn't get my saw a few years back as I continually read about accessories that are no longer available from retailers. One accessory that seems to be the hardest to find for me so far is the Micro-Positioner so I thought I'd get on here and see if anyone perhaps has one sitting in a garage or attic that they're no longer using and would be willing to sell. I've never used anything like it, but it seems like a great way to really help me dial in my cut dimensions.

And in the meantime, I may have found one that's available but I wasn't able to find out for sure. I found that the Sears Part Number (from the Craftsman 22811 manual) is 22214. I looked that up (selecting Part Number, not Model Number) on the Sears Parts Direct website and the first result says "Rip Fence" and is in-stock for $54.98. Unfortunately there's no picture and no way to look at which model numbers the part number is used in. I then tried looking up P/N 22215, which is the P/N for the Quick Fold Table. The first result that came up says "Fold Table" (out of stock and no picture) so that has me thinking that the result I'm seeing for 22214 may indeed be the 'rip fence micro positioning device.'

Anyway, a call to Sears Parts Direct didn't get me anywhere. They basically couldn't see anything more than what I was looking at on the site. Hopefully I can find one from a member on here since the price there is already marked up close to 100% from what it seemed to be selling for. If anyone somehow knows for sure if that is indeed the right part, let me know!

...and of course, please PM me if you have a Micro Positioner you'd be willing to part ways with!

Thanks so much!

Tim
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I have the Craftsman version (sorry, not for sale!). Unfortunately, there's no part number on it.

The Ryobi part number is 4060305. That's the best I can do.
    JR

Comment

• LinuxRandal
      Veteran Member
      • Feb 2005
      • Independence, MO, USA.
      • bt3100

Long discontinued and I don't remember the number. (I think it is in the FAQ's in LChien's signature)
      Here are some other posts that might interest you:
      This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

This is the place to ask questions about the Ryobi BT3 series table saws. Please limit the posts to this topic only.

This forum is for discussions about any and all power tools. Whether you are looking to buy a new tool or you have a question about the usage of a tool, this is the place to be!

I did a quick search and it seems it might somehow still be available, but it would be a gamble at best. I don't see Sears selling it (closed out in 2011 from memory), and the part number was updated, if I am seeing correctly. I would think it is more likely a part of the micropostioner, then the whole thing:
      Ryobi Part # 972000185
      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Wildwillis
        Forum Newbie
        • Nov 2013
        • Syracuse, NY
        • Craftsman 21829

Thanks a lot for the replies and the links. I had indeed read most of those threads - hence the reason I want the micropositioner! Rob Kirby's DIY version is impressive, but I'm afraid I'd struggle with the precision and it'd be nice if it also pulled the fence (which could probably be done).

I'll keep searching and hoping someone sees this and has one left over after upgrading their saw or something. Thanks so much again for the replies - what a great site!

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

I had the Ryobi one originally, and then it broke (got jammed and broke off the set screw), and I was able to pick up a replacement Craftsman one. This was maybe 5 years ago, and they were tricky to find then.

To be honest, I really don't use it that much, I've found that a little tap of the fence with my palm "micropositions" pretty well and I usually don't need to know I'm going a "128th" smaller, just need a "smidge" smaller. But sorry, I'm going to hang onto mine too

I'm not sure I'd pay $55 for one even if that's the right part.

If you ever do get one, it's handier if you reverse the orientation of it (by removing the c clip and mirroring the whole thing) as described in some older threads.

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • BT3100

Or you could build your own:

Comment

• poolhound
              Veteran Member
              • Mar 2006
              • Phoenix, AZ
              • BT3100

Tim, what are you building that requires the precision of a micro-positioner?
              Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
              techzibits.com

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by poolhound
                Well like I said, I really don't use it that much. When I do, I use it to "sneak up" on cuts.

ETA oops sorry didn't see the OP was also "Tim"

Comment

• Wildwillis
                  Forum Newbie
                  • Nov 2013
                  • Syracuse, NY
                  • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by poolhound
                  Ha I can't exactly say that I'm working on (or even planning) anything that "requires" that level of precision, but I have learned that that precision hasn't been my strong suite so far. I'm constantly fidgeting with the fence to position it precisely, but I suppose that hasn't been the cause of any problems I've had. It'd be nice to have a little more confidence when making small adjustments though.

Late last winter I built a changing table for the baby that came out pretty nice, but ended up having to sand down some boards to tighten up the seams and somehow ended up with a top that was a little too narrow to fit the changing pad without a little bit of squeezing/bowing of the pad. I built that with a friend (he built one too) and I can probably attribute that to his miter saw not being aligned well.

Since then I've built a workbench, a sign for that same friend's baby, a knock-off Squatty Potty for my old man, and a ported subwoofer box for my boat. Overall everything's come out pretty well, but I'm continually wasting lots of time cleaning up dimensions and solving the issues that caused them - misaligned miter saw fence, uneven dado depth on a large sheet of mdf (my in/outfeed supports weren't keeping it flat), etc. All good learning experiences.

Presently thinking about what the next project should be, and in the meantime I'm trying to learn as much as I can to improve my setup, jigs, and 'problem solving ability.' I've been reading old threads on the forum a LOT! I've got a pair of zero clearance throat plates (which I'll use as a template for more) and a pair of extra rails on order at the moment. The next tasks on the agenda are a cheap outfeed table, table extension, a better router fence, and maybe a fence for my new drill press.

...maybe I'll consider adding that DIY positioner to my list, but that's one I'd prefer to just buy if I can find one. Thanks again for the feedback and help!

-Tim
                  Last edited by Wildwillis; 11-18-2014, 11:35 AM.

Comment

• JR
                    The Full Monte
                    • Feb 2004
                    • Eugene, OR
                    • BT3000

I use mine mostly for dadoes and half-laps. Anything that requires matching a slot to wood that's already dimensioned. It can also be useful for tenons.
                    JR

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by Wildwillis
                      Thanks a lot for the replies and the links. I had indeed read most of those threads - hence the reason I want the micropositioner! Rob Kirby's DIY version is impressive, but I'm afraid I'd struggle with the precision and it'd be nice if it also pulled the fence (which could probably be done).

I'll keep searching and hoping someone sees this and has one left over after upgrading their saw or something. Thanks so much again for the replies - what a great site!
                      The "precission" is in the threads. (your not making your own bolt)
                      Reversing it, is probably the simpler way to "pull" the fence, but I seem to remember someone here, or on another forum (with a homemade one) that had a magnet glued on the end of the bolt and the fence. If you find either number works and order it, please post back here.
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • BT3100

If I ever find my broken one (don't hold your breath, it could be months, if ever) I'll post it here for sale. It was only the set screw that broke off so I'm sure it could be rigged up to work again.

Comment

• Bruce Cohen
                          Veteran Member
                          • May 2003
                          • Nanuet, NY, USA.
                          • BT3100

Have you tried ebay?
                          "Western civilization didn't make all men equal,
                          Samuel Colt did"

Comment

• Wildwillis
                            Forum Newbie
                            • Nov 2013
                            • Syracuse, NY
                            • Craftsman 21829

Originally posted by JR
                            I use mine mostly for dadoes and half-laps. Anything that requires matching a slot to wood that's already dimensioned. It can also be useful for tenons.
                            Thanks dadoes & rabbits were one of the things I thought it'd be most useful with as well. I asked for the Freud 6" dado set last Christmas, So far I've really liked it and found more and more uses for it as I've gotten quicker at setting it up.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                            The "precission" is in the threads. (your not making your own bolt)
                            Reversing it, is probably the simpler way to "pull" the fence, but I seem to remember someone here, or on another forum (with a homemade one) that had a magnet glued on the end of the bolt and the fence. If you find either number works and order it, please post back here.
                            Will do. I might give the one on Sears Parts Direct a try and just send it back if they send me a random rip fence as the description kind of implies. I've got to search the part numbers a little more as well.

And I almost deleted what I was typing about the precision because I was thinking the same thing. I need to look over the writeup again because I remember there being a line about the "critical dimensions."

Originally posted by tfischer
                            If I ever find my broken one (don't hold your breath, it could be months, if ever) I'll post it here for sale. It was only the set screw that broke off so I'm sure it could be rigged up to work again.
                            Thanks much appreciated! If you do come across it, please feel free to send me a PM. I'll make sure to keep an eye on the classifieds though!

Originally posted by Bruce Cohen
                            Have you tried ebay?
                            And thanks to you too Bruce. Yes I have tried it and didn't find anything, but I'll have to try it with some part numbers as well. Perhaps I wasn't getting the right combination of "micro adjuster, micropositioner, etc."

Thanks again to everyone!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                              Internet Fact Checker
                              • Dec 2002
                              • Katy, TX, USA.
                              • BT3000 vintage 1999

I used mine yesterday.
                              I was cutting a slot for some 1/4" ply which is actually about .206"
                              I measure the ply with some calipers and cut the first slot with my Thin kerf Woodworker II which measured .100.
                              I hadn't done it in a while and I knew it would take more than one more pass.
                              So I know each mark on the MP dial is 1/64th or .016" or half a mark is .008"
                              I dialed in about 5 marks (easy to go by halves if you want) and expected about another .08 width. Got it so I figured out the remainder and dialed it in and sure enough the slot came in about .003" over. Close enough.

I generally try to only go one direction so as not to have to deal with backlash. Even though only the "T" end of the rip fence moves with the MP, when you tighten the handle on the rip fence it makes the far end line up with the T end.
                              Last edited by LCHIEN; 11-19-2014, 01:47 AM.
                              Loring in Katy, TX USA
                              If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                              BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

Working...