• Show
Clear All
  • Bill in Buena Park
    Veteran Member
    • Nov 2007
    • Buena Park, CA
    • CM 21829

Question for HF 34706 Lathe users

I'm considering adding this lathe to the shop, and in researching reviews have seen some mixed feelings on it. On sale with coupon, price is reasonable, but I've heard issues about the headstock not tightening down and pulleys giving out. Conversely, I've also read this could be one of the "gems".

So - no HF bashing please, but i'd appreciate feedback from owners on what you've personally encountered, your pre-use tune-ups and fixes, and anything else to be aware of.

Thanks!
    Bill in Buena Park
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I've only used it lightly, but I've been very happy vis a vis the price paid. No issues that I can think of, but I'm not too versed in turning. I often have to tap the collet out as it gets a bit stuck.

The stand was much nicer than I expected, but it's only so usable. I have to move mine around a lot and it finally bent a bit at a connection point. For $220 or so after coupon (I think that's what I paid) I'd do it again.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• JR
      The Full Monte
      • Feb 2004
      • Eugene, OR
      • BT3000

I've not yet conquered the mysteries of turning, but mine is holding up well. Thankfully, my cousin is coming over next week to give some tips on turning bowls. I bought an extra tool rest via the web site and cut it down, making pen turning a breeze. I think the extra tool rest <$20.

I put a HF mobile base under mine, making very easy to move around.
      JR

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I bought the extended warranty on mine. The motor started overheating within a few months and HF replaced it with no problems at all. The second one had a tension pen missing in the head causing the head to rock and not lock down. I took it apart and replaced the pin for less than a dollar and it has performed like a champion since. I've had no issues at all. It is now about four or five years old. I had heard the belts gave out quickly but that has not been the case with mine and I understand the belts are readily available at auto stores.
        Last edited by phrog; 11-06-2014, 08:03 PM.
        Richard

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
          Veteran Member
          • Nov 2007
          • Buena Park, CA
          • CM 21829

Thanks guys for sharing your experiences. Doesn't sound like you've had any of the fabled pulley issues - but reminds me that I have a question about the belt; I was wondering if you know if a link-belt will work in place of the stock belt.
          Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• dbhost
            Slow and steady
            • Apr 2008
            • League City, Texas
            • Ryobi BT3100

I have had mine going on I guess 5 years now. While I don't turn every day, it is one of my more used tools in the shop. I haven't the slightest idea how the pulleys could fail. Bearings maybe, but the pulleys themselves? I would love to see photos of that to get an understanding of the problem...

Getting the head stock aligned took some fiddling with, there is a big nut on the bottom of the head that I had to back off, adjust the head stock on its base, tighten down, and go at alignment again. Took my 4 tries to get it right.... I have it locked down dead on now, and it turns really nice...
            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phrog
              Veteran Member
              • Jul 2005
              • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by Bill in Buena Park
              Thanks guys for sharing your experiences. Doesn't sound like you've had any of the fabled pulley issues - but reminds me that I have a question about the belt; I was wondering if you know if a link-belt will work in place of the stock belt.
              I haven't tried one but was told the Accu-Link belts will not work because they interfere with the action of the Reeves-type pulley that the 34706 uses to achieve variable speed. (or at least, wear out very quickly)

Here's a link showing how a Reeves-type pulley works:

This is a split pulley - Reeves drive in action. It shows how the pulleys widen to change diameter so the speed changes. This is the drive for my Shop Fox la...

It has two variable pulleys whereas the 34706 has only one IIRC.
              Last edited by phrog; 11-07-2014, 10:40 AM.
              Richard

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                Veteran Member
                • Nov 2007
                • Buena Park, CA
                • CM 21829

Thanks Dave & Richard - appreciate the input. I just might have to lobby Santa to have one of these arrive for Christmas...
                Bill in Buena Park

Comment

• havighurst
                  Established Member
                  • Jun 2004
                  • Metamora, MI, USA.

It is a great lathe to try your hand at turning without breaking the bank. I bought mine a number of years ago ($160 w/coupon). I use mine to turn pens and have had no difficulty. You can purchase belts at NAPA (google for the belt number) for a few bucks. If you enjoy turning, you can always upgrade and sell it or keep it and use it as a polishing station. Just beware if you purchase a lathe- you are about to enter the vortex...
                  \"Experience is the toughest teacher. You get the test first and the lesson later.\"

Comment

• Cochese
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jun 2010

Hopefully Santa gives the reindeer some extra hay. The thing weighs a metric ton.

Comment

• bmyers
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2003
                      • Fishkill, NY
                      • bt 3100

I've had mine for 7 years or so. The head stock can be persnickety but is no major source of headache. I've turned everything from pens to logs that had no business being on a lathe. No problems with belts.

Make a bottom shelf and then stack at least 3 bags of concrete on it or some equivalent. Made a world of difference for stability.

All the standard chucks and morse taper accessories fit fine on there. Nova chuck, drill checks, etc.

Also put on Santas list a low speed grinder, sharpening jigs and aluminum oxide course/fine wheels.

If this one was stolen and I had to replace it, unless I found a nicer used something I'd go right back out and get one of these.

-B
                      Last edited by bmyers; 11-08-2014, 04:36 PM.
                      "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• cwsmith
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2005
                        • NY Southern Tier, USA.
                        • BT3100-1

I've been following this subject since my recuperation a couple of week's ago (colon operation on Nov 22nd), and so far I must say the comments are surprisingly happy one's.

I haven't used a lathe since high school days in the early 60's and I only returned to some minor-scale woodworking since my retirement in 2003; and most of that is focused on renovating this old house. In HS, all I did was turn tapered legs for a desk project, but the "turning" has always held some interest, yet to be exercised at this late point in life.

Three years ago our area finally got an HF store, and I must say that I've become a big fan as their offerings are more fitting to my limited budget for such things.

This particular lathe appears to me to be fairly substantial for the money, but it's been so many years I confess to knowing next to nothing about them in general. So, this thread is particularly of interest.

I've seen the couple of chisel assortments at HF and they seem fair enough. Unfortunately, down here in the southern tier area of NY, there are no other woodworking retailers that I aware of. Does HF sell any chucks or other accessories for turning? (I suppose I should have looked at the web site... but I haven't seen anything in the local store.)

Today, my wife went to a local book sale and bought me an old book on turning... sounds to me like a good excuse to start looking into buying an inexpensive lathe

Thanks,

CWS
                        Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Cochese
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jun 2010

HF sells some chisels, but honestly unless you need to save a few bucks, spend your money elsewhere. Not only do the extremely cheap ones not hold their edge as long, they rust. They are good, however, to learn to sharpen on. Once you start spending the money on the higher-end ones there, you're into established manufacturer territory.

Face shields aren't too bad, just don't buy the cheapest one.

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

FWIW, I have looked at their chisels as well. Their 8pc HSS set, I think it is labelled Windsor Design, is pretty much the same pieces that Penn State sells under their Benjamins Best brand name. Reasonable, holds an edge better than plain tool steel, and cheap enough to learn to turn, and sharpen with...

I have the Benjamins Best 8pc, and several BB assorted like the large sized roughing gouges, etc...

As a minimum, at least for me I would go with...
                            1. 4 jaw chuck. Penn State Economy Chuck with the right adapter works fine.
                            2. 8pc HSS chisel set.
                            3. HF MT #2 Jacobs Chuck
                            4. Caliper set.
                            5. Face Shield.

The rest after that is extras.
                            Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• Bill in Buena Park
                              Veteran Member
                              • Nov 2007
                              • Buena Park, CA
                              • CM 21829

+1 on Dave's list. I have all these, and have used to make hundreds of pens, some bowls, ornaments, and even a gavel set. I currently own the Excelsior lathe 1018 from Rockler, with the extension bed, which is just like the HF 65345 and it continues to serve me well after several years of use. I also have the HF "micro" lathe 95607 and also use it for pens and polishing.

The PSI economy 4 jaw chuck is an awesome deal if you don't mind the two-stick tightening system. It comes with a number of useful jaws, and I've also picked up the pen jaws for it, for drilling on the lathe when the DP isn't the best option - love them. In fact, I may buy a second chuck set, and leave one set up with the pen jaws and the other with the bowl jaws.

I'm eyeballing the PSI Wolverine-equivalent sharpening jigs right now to use with my low speed grinder. PSI also has a couple carbide tools that are on my wish list, the Cove Master and the Pen Genie. My HF HSS chisel set has worked just fine for all my spindle-type turnings, but they don't have a set with a bowl gouge, so you'll have to get one of those elsewhere - I might have also picked up one of the PSI Benjamin's Best bowl gouges if I hadn't gotten impatient and picked up a WoodRiver gouge from Woodcraft.

My main interest in the 34706 lathe is increased capacity and stronger motor, to do some larger turnings than my 1018 can handle. Being able to swap all my MT2 stuff between them is a bonus.
                              Last edited by Bill in Buena Park; 11-09-2014, 12:20 AM.
                              Bill in Buena Park

Comment

Working...