• Show
Clear All
  • lrr
    Established Member
    • Apr 2006
    • Fort Collins, Colorado
    • Ryobi BT-3100

Ridgid Palm Router price was lowered

I was walking thru Home Depot the other day and saw the R2401 palm router's price has dropped from $99 to $89.

I wondered if it was my local store only, or a special deal for a limited time. The HD website says "new lower price".

You can all thank me -- I bought one a couple months ago at the $99 price.

Standard disclaimer -- I do not work for them, blah, blah blah ... in fact, I tend to shop at Lowes for a lot of home improvement stuff. But ... I am pretty fond of the Ridgid brand and their lifetime warranty on many tools. I have their 6" jointer, oscillating drum/belt sander, the 2HP router with fixed and plunge base, and their 15 ga. heavy duty framing nailer.their belt hander, and their 1/4 sheet palm sander.
    Lee
  • durango dude
    • Mar 2011
    • a thousand or so feet above insanity
    • 50s vintage Craftsman Contractor Saw

This should answer your question ----

Comment

• mmcmac
      Forum Newbie
      • Nov 2014

Originally posted by lrr
      I was walking thru Home Depot the other day and saw the R2401 palm router's price has dropped from $99 to $89..

I am pretty fond of the Ridgid brand and their lifetime warranty on many tools.
      Overall the R2401 is one of the better trim router designs and at $89 seems like a good deal given the packaged accessories. Unfortunately Ridgid never got the speed controller design right which is somewhat of a mystery, and moreover Ridgid appears unable to resolve the issue.

The problem stems from the lightweight nature of the router (which in general is beneficial), however given the mass of the armature, the lightweight stator (no coil, it is a DC PM motor) and lightweight shell, the power-on kick is rather severe. Odd this should exist as the speed controller fully supports a perfect soft start ramp but Ridgid didn't get the initiation speed set correctly. There is an easy 5-cent fix for those so inclined but without some discretion the warranty may be in your hands from that point.

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Originally posted by mmcmac
        Overall the R2401 is one of the better trim router designs and at $89 seems like a good deal given the packaged accessories. Unfortunately Ridgid never got the speed controller design right which is somewhat of a mystery, and moreover Ridgid appears unable to resolve the issue.

The problem stems from the lightweight nature of the router (which in general is beneficial), however given the mass of the armature, the lightweight stator (no coil, it is a DC PM motor) and lightweight shell, the power-on kick is rather severe. Odd this should exist as the speed controller fully supports a perfect soft start ramp but Ridgid didn't get the initiation speed set correctly. There is an easy 5-cent fix for those so inclined but without some discretion the warranty may be in your hands from that point.
        Great video of the problem and the fix results.
        But what is the details of the fix? I imagine its changing a capacitor to affect the time constant.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

Any dust collection with this?
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tfischer
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2003
            • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
            • BT3100

Yeah I'd like to see the details of that fix also. It almost seemed like too much fix, sounds like the motor was stalling at the beginning.

I have the larger Ridgid router with fixed and plunge bases, and the soft start works well on that one.

Comment

• duncsuss
              Established Member
              • Oct 2009

Originally posted by LCHIEN
              But what is the details of the fix? I imagine its changing a capacitor to affect the time constant.
              The link to the circuit diagram is in the description under the video player, but it only shows up when you click the "show more" link.

For your convenience, here's the link to the PDF of the circuit.

Comment

• mmcmac
                Forum Newbie
                • Nov 2014

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                Great video of the problem and the fix results.
                Sorry for the delayed reply. Somehow I hadn't subscribed to this thread.

Yes it is a simple fix. Google for a u2010 data sheet and you'll see the Ridgid design doesn't appear to be delaying the triac trigger long enough to occur at the end of a 60Hz 180* cycle. So while a ramp of 4~5 seconds exists, the original starting point is at relative high power and doesn't provide (at least what I call a) soft start. My reference being a RE600 and PC 7539. Note the addition of the 24K ohm resistor which is needed to maintain the 20~30K RPM range.

FWIW I don't find it an excessive ramp for a fixed based router in my usage which is mainly intricate/close work where I prefer less fight to maintain startup control.
                Last edited by mmcmac; 01-01-2015, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Working...