Clear All
  • NewDIYer
    Forum Newbie
    • Jun 2012
    • Southington, CT
    • Ryobi BT3000

Now the saw vibrates..

Hello Members,

A while back I had purchased a used BT3K (older model) which had a shim problem. I ordered the front shims and received what I think are the Bt3100 shims (wavy shims instead of flat shims). I thought these shims will fit but looks like I may have to modify the slide or get the straight shims.

I have tried to put back together the motor, slide and the saw without any shims (I am not going to make too much use of this saw as it is a back-up) but unfortunately the saw seems to vibrate at high speed.

Is the saw needing to be leveled?
    OR
    Is there something else I have done wrong?

Now if I take the saw apart I know how to put back together again.

Thanks for all your help thus far.

PS - Mark (Black Walnut), you had indicated you were going to post an address to send check to for the donation. You can PM me if possible.
  • Daryl
    • May 2004

Check that the blade is on properly, that there isn't any debris between either of the washers or nuts and the blade, also check that you don't have missing teeth inserts. Try another blade. Leveling has nothing to do with it, the problem is in the rotating mass.
    Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• mpc
      • Feb 2005
      • Cypress, CA, USA.
      • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Put back together with no shims at all? Besides being a smooth surface for the height adjustment to slide against, the shims are used to remove any freeplay/slop in the mechanism via the small set screws behind them. Without the shims, the motor assembly is going to be quite loose/sloppy on the center aluminum support stuff inside the saw. So I can see that magnifying any vibration issues.

Out-of-round parts, bent shafts, or imbalanced rotating parts will induce vibrations. Even the small ribbed belts can lead to vibrations if they're a little stiff. When removed and sitting on a table, do the belts form perfect "O" shapes or is it more egg shaped? If egg shaped, the belts have a "memory" of the small & large pulleys and that causes small vibrations. Belts that have been installed on a non-used saw for a while will take this "memory" set. On other table saws the V-belts can get the same memory effect... the multi-part "link belts" are the long-term solution to this.

mpc

Comment

• NewDIYer
        Forum Newbie
        • Jun 2012
        • Southington, CT
        • Ryobi BT3000

Update..

Thanks for the information. This saw is a back-up. Until I receive the correct shims I was getting no use out of it (the wait for the shim was like two months and then the shims came in wrong).

I cleaned the shaft and placed the saw back on the vibration was low. I believe that the saw may not have been leveled (I will recheck).

Thanks for your feedback.

Comment

Working...