• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Anyone know how to fix a VCR?

No I'm, not kidding. I finally dug out a working video capture card for my PC, and I want to convert the stack of old VHS tapes from things like my wedding video from my BILs camera, some old TV shows that I can't find online that I taped back in the early 90s, most particularly "Trailside, Make Your Own Adventure", and some old family videos of my late sister in law etc...

Problem. The remaining VCR I have has started eating tapes. I do have another good one, but it only does component out, and my capture device only does coax in... So I either get a different capture device, or I fix / replace the VCR... Ick...
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • jdon
    Established Member
    • Feb 2010
    • Snoqualmie, Wash.
    • BT3100

You can probably pick up a VCR dirt cheap at a Goodwill or Salvation Army thrift store.

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

You could use a component to coax converter, but at ~15-20 you might as well find a used vcr :-) This is a time consuming process so if you don't want to do it yourself there are tons of businesses that do it.
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Do you mean Composite and not component?

sometimes you can use a VCR that's electrically OK but mechanically that won't play tapes, as a video converter... depending upon what inputs it has you can input composite video and output RF Ch 3-4 Coax.

So use the tape eating VCR to convert the GOod VCR composite/component video to RF COax.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• Daryl
          • May 2004

Try a head cleaner tape if you have one or even know what it is. You can also spray the head and transport mechinism with electronic tuner cleaner, if they still make it.
          Sometimes the old man passed out and left the am radio on so I got to hear the oldie songs and current event kind of things

Comment

• woodturner
            Veteran Member
            • Jun 2008
            • Western Pennsylvania
            • General, Sears 21829, BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
            Problem. The remaining VCR I have has started eating tapes.
            I recently had a similar problem with mine. A thorough cleaning fixed it.

Take off the cover, get some foam "q-tips" and rubbing alcohol or contact cleaner, and clean all the guides, belts, etc. Check the belts carefully - they may need to be replaced if they are stretched or cracked. Usually eating tapes is caused by a slipping belt, so the different parts of the mechanism do not move at the same rate.

Do NOT clean the heads with alcohol - a special cleaner and pads are required. Cleaning tapes tend to be abrasive and wear the heads, but if you aren't going to use it much more, they are quicker and easier than manually cleaning the heads.

Belts and parts are available from MCM

Or you could just buy a $20 video tape player at Kmart or similar discount store.
            --------------------------------------------------
            Electrical Engineer by day, Woodworker by night

Comment

• Mr__Bill
              Veteran Member
              • May 2007
              • Tacoma, WA
              • BT3000

If cleaning does not do it, try looping the working one through the non working one and use it's coax out.

Comment

• JimD
                Veteran Member
                • Feb 2003
                • Lexington, SC.

I think the cleaning idea is good. I had two VCRs but I now only have one. The other ate a tape I wanted more than the VCR. I couldn't get it out so I cut up the VCR. TIn snips got the tape out.

My other VCR also has a DVD drive and will transfer a VCR to a DVD. I used it to transfer a home movie of my late wife that my daughter wanted. It worked well. I gave a copy to my mother in law who asked for more. As has been mentioned, it is time consuming but I will transfer others.

Jim

Comment

• lago
                  Established Member
                  • Nov 2003
                  • Lago Vista, TX.

Take a look at the FREE section on Craigslist. I see VCR's on there every so often.

Lago

Comment

• charliex
                    • Mar 2004
                    • Spring Valley, MN, USA.
                    • Sears equivelent BT3100-1

Borrow one from friend neighbor.

Comment

Working...