• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

The electric dryer. Again. Stumped...

Okay here's the scoop. A week after the electrical work, the dryer quit heating. So here's what I have checked so far, and I am STUMPED...

#1. 220V from the socket side to side. 110V per leg.
    #2. Thermal fuse, hi limit fuse, and both thermostats tested good.
    #3. Heating element tested good.
    #4. Jumpers / Connectors tested good.
    #5. Wiring junction where the cable comes into the dryer checked out good.
    #6. plug / cable checked out good.

So what the heck can it possibly be?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • DannyT
    Forum Newbie
    • Sep 2012
    • Groveport, OH

door switch, start button? i don't know

Comment

• chopnhack
      Veteran Member
      • Oct 2006
      • Florida
      • Ryobi BT3100

I was going to wise crack and suggest you check the gas line, but you made it so clear that this would not even have a chance....

Seriously now, you have covered quite a bit, the one thing that I am wondering is if this is a newer dryer with all the confounded electronics onboard? If it is, I am curious if it was damaged during the wiring project. It should not have been affected, but electronics can get sensitive as they age. Even so, I am assuming by your post that the unit is working just not drying? Does it spin up, if it has an electric display, does it come on? Any error messages or codes?
      I think in straight lines, but dream in curves

Comment

• LCHIEN
        Internet Fact Checker
        • Dec 2002
        • Katy, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 vintage 1999

Exhaust duct plugged with lint.
        Loring in Katy, TX USA
        If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
        BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Okay to answer the prior...

No the dryer vent was cleaned 2 months ago, cap down the the dryer where the little brush ball thingy was poked out the other end. Probably cleaner than my arteries are these days...

This dryer is anything but new. It's an old Kenmore 90 series.

Start button would interfere with the entire thing starting, not just the heat correct?

And yeah the gas line is totally stopped. About 2 blocks away from my house (insert expletive here).
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

If the thermostats tested, good, then I would think what would be left, is the timer.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• cabinetman
              Gone but not Forgotten RIP
              • Jun 2006
              • So. Florida
              • Delta

If you say the heat element tested good...what is the problem?

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

The heat doesn't work.

Tested good as in tested as having continuity.

Comment

• sweensdv
                  Veteran Member
                  • Dec 2002
                  • WI
                  • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

Time to replace the ole Harbor Freight Multi-Meter.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by sweensdv
                    Time to replace the ole Harbor Freight Multi-Meter.
                    No While I have tons of Harbor Freight tools, my multimeter is not among them. The Multimeter is from Snap On tools... I doubt it's the problem...

Comment

• jseklund
                      Established Member
                      • Aug 2006

I am assuming you used the multimeter to check the heating element by testing for continuity?

Carefully inspect for cracks maybe? When things heat up and expand, sometimes cracks open and break electrical connections that go back together when everything's cooled off....but this is a COMPLETE shot in the dark based on the fact you have tested so much already.

Other than that, the only thing coming to me right now is what LCHIEN suggested - maybe it's a clogged outlet duct?

Thanks, I will be thinking about this all day now....lol
                      F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• sweensdv
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • WI
                        • Baileigh TS-1040P-50

I was just yankin your chain a little there DB. On the other hand, my HF Multi-Meter works just fine. Back to your issues, when you say that the element tested good, what do you mean by that? You can have power all the way to the element and still have a bad element. If everything else seems to be problem free as you say than I would take a second look at that element.

Comment

• jseklund
                          Established Member
                          • Aug 2006

Actually, I shouldn't have posted so soon - I missed some of the posts somehow, and I now have thought about this a bit more -

1. Is it possible that it is a wiring issue? Can you check continuity between all wiring ends?

2. Are you using a flexible outlet "hose" off the back of the dryer or solid ducting?

3. Not sure this is 100% safe or a good idea - but can you temporarily bypass the thermal cut-offs or thermostat to see if the heat works without a specific item in the loop? Be careful here....
                          F#$@ no good piece of S#$% piece of #$@#% #@$#% #$@#$ wood! Dang. - Me woodworking

Comment

• dbhost
                            Slow and steady
                            • Apr 2008
                            • League City, Texas
                            • Ryobi BT3100

Per instructions I have tested the mentioned items for continuity. Even knocking the heating element to get any cracks to come apart and break continuity.

I have tested the wires themselves for continuity as well.

This is a stumper for sure...The only thing I am iffy on is testing / results from my socket.

Comment

• jAngiel
                              • Oct 2003
                              • Ryobi BT3100

I had a similar issue once with my old whirlpool dryer and it acutally was the heating element. It tested out for the continuity if I remember correctly but when I looked into the box itself one or two of the little insulator towers had fallen over so it was actually shorted out and would not work. I used some long needle nose pliers and stood them up and it started working fine after that.
                              James

Comment

Working...