• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jking
    • May 2003
    • Des Moines, IA.
    • BT3100

Optimum Bench Depth

I'm curious if anyone has opinions on the optimum depth of a workbench? I currently have a very old bench built out of plywood in my garage that is about 24" in depth. I guess I'm mainly thinking of against the wall workbenches, but, would be curious about thoughts on workbenches in the middle of a shop as well. I know in some cases bigger may be better, but, it seems there are also times when slightly narrow might be useful, too.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

If you go by the current guru of workbench design, Chris Schwarz, a 24" deep bench is ideal (rule 5).

However, I think it's too narrow but probably because I'm messy. I built mine when I had the BT3 and it was against the wall. It's 30" deep and 6 1/2' long. It now serves as the out feed/assembly table for my cabinet saw. There is actually a 6" spacer between the two, so not including the TS, I'm at nearly 36".

That has worked well for me. I haven't really needed more depth (although I would like it longer). It's also not ideal for handwork. It has a thick torsion box top so the thin top layer isn't ideal for bench dog holes. I end up screwing stops to the bench top for hand planing or clamping pieces to the top by using the overhangs of the bench.

Paul

Comment

• big tim
      • Mar 2006
      • Scarborough, Toronto,Canada
      • SawStop PCS

Mine is 25.5" deep, works well for me. Search benchlift on this site and you
      will see some pictures of my bench and how I made it mobile.
      Are you planning on building a bench?
      Cheers,

Tim
      Sometimes my mind wanders. It's always come back though......sofar!

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Mine is about 3' deep. I like the extra depth to have parts, tools etc at arms reach without cluttering up active space.

Comment

• mpc
          • Feb 2005
          • Cypress, CA, USA.
          • BT3000 orig 13amp model

Like so many other questions on this site: depends on what you build most and how you like to work. Around 24 inch bench depth is typically recommended since that's a typical arm reach, just like the large tool trunks are often about 24 inches front-to-back and 24 inches deep. If you tend to work on larger projects though a deeper bench may be necessary. Some folks like to be able to walk all the way around a bench while working; in this case more than 24 inches makes a lot of sense. Other folks want the bench against a wall, near the wall-hung tool rack... so being able to reach over/across the bench is essential... no 36 inch bench in this case.

I have one of the mid-size Sjoberg benches (clearanced from Rockler when they switched to their house brand) which isn't even 24 inches deep; it's about 19 and a half if I remember correctly. That's been too narrow several times... 30 inches would be about right. At least based on the size of my most prevalent clamps.

mpc

Comment

• LinuxRandal
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2005
            • Independence, MO, USA.
            • bt3100

How are you figuring using the clamps? The space between the head and tail (where the ends don't get bumped and are off the edge)?

I prefer to have a couple size benches, but to me, if I were to only have one, it would be between 24" and kitchen counter depth at 25 1/2". Looking at some table designs, as well as something I am sure I saw here, you could have notches to add on a section to make it deeper, or a trailer hitch for things you want to have secure, but be able to remove (bench grinder, mechanics vise, etc).
            It is MUCH easier to make it wider, then narrower.
            She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...