• Show
Clear All
  • poolhound
    Veteran Member
    • Mar 2006
    • Phoenix, AZ
    • BT3100

Tenryu GM Swap Anybody

I have a Tenryu Gold Medal which I would be interested to see if anybody would consider a equitable swap. It is a great blade but my other go to blade is a WW II and the Tenryu has a .111 Kerf vs the .9375 of the WW II. This means swapping out ZCTPs and it also means that the slots on my sleds all end up defaulting to the Kerf of the Tenryu.

The one blade I am really missing is a good combo tooth blade that will give me quality cuts with a flat bottom on non through cuts.

If somebody would like to own a GM blade and has something equitable to swap, preferably a TK combo blade with a kerf close to the WW II then let me know.
    Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
    techzibits.com
  • Knottscott
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2004
    • Rochester, NY.
    • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Jon - The only grind that will leave a truly flat bottom kerf is a flat top grind (FTG) blade, which are primarily ripping blades...LM72, LU87, Infinity 010-024, CMT 210.024.10, etc. The Tenryu GM and WWII are ATB grinds. Any combo blade with an ATB/R grind will leave small "bat ears" along the edges because the beveled teeth protrude slightly higher than the raker teeth, but they'll be less pronounced than an ATB grind.

Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

• poolhound
      Veteran Member
      • Mar 2006
      • Phoenix, AZ
      • BT3100

Originally posted by Knottscott
      Jon - The only grind that will leave a truly flat bottom kerf is a flat top grind (FTG) blade, which are primarily ripping blades...LM72, LU87, Infinity 010-024, CMT 210.024.10, etc. The Tenryu GM and WWII are ATB grinds. Any combo blade with an ATB/R grind will leave small "bat ears" along the edges because the beveled teeth protrude slightly higher than the raker teeth, but they'll be less pronounced than an ATB grind.

Good point Scott. The basic use for a flat bottomed cut are for miter key slots in boxes and also for nibbling away a quick lap joint or non critical dado or tenon.

I still have the original BT blade which is flat ground but very thin.
      Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
      techzibits.com

Comment

• LinuxRandal
        Veteran Member
        • Feb 2005
        • Independence, MO, USA.
        • bt3100

Originally posted by Knottscott

Sounds like your describing Forrest's #6 grind blade, what about their #1 grind blade?

Serious woodworkers count on American-made Forrest saw blades for smooth, quiet cuts, every time... without splintering, scratching or tearouts.

EDIT: Went looking for the picture of it (saw a long time ago), ATF grind:
        Slivers Mill is your source for premium saw blades and industrial cutting tools.
        Last edited by LinuxRandal; 11-03-2014, 10:46 AM.
        She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
          Sounds like your describing Forrest's #6 grind blade, what about their #1 grind blade?

Serious woodworkers count on American-made Forrest saw blades for smooth, quiet cuts, every time... without splintering, scratching or tearouts.

EDIT: Went looking for the picture of it (saw a long time ago), ATF grind:
          http://www.sliversmill.com/application_chart.html
          I'm not familiar with Forrest's numbering code. If the Forrest #1 grind is FTG, it'll leave a flat bottom....based on their description, it's probably FTG. If it's an ATB/R combination it'll leave slight bat ears.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...