X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JimD
    Veteran Member
    • Feb 2003
    • Lexington, SC.

I like my footprint brand chisels. I have an old Sears Craftsman set I use when I am worried I might damage them (or for glue scrapers) and reserve the footprint for better work. They are real fractional inch sizes and hold an edge well without being brittle.

Jim

Comment

• Uncle Hook
      Established Member
      • Apr 2005
      • Mountain Lakes, New Jersey, USA.

Here is a link to the Grizzly chisels that were rated as best value in the Japanese chisel category. I put a set of these on my xmas list.

<h1>G7102 Japanese Chisel 10-Piece Set </h1> <h2>Masterfully cut, carve, and shape. </h2> These hand-finished, well-balanced wood chisels feature laminated steel blades, hardwood socket-type handles, and solid steel ring ferrules for years of dependable use. <p>Made of high-carbon steel laminated onto a softer steel (wrought iron) back for added strength. <p>The Rockwell rating is a scale that is used to measure the hardness of a material. Premium steel rates between 59-64 HRC. The steel of these chisels rate 63 +/- 2 HRC! <p>Like all Grizzly hand tools, the G7102 comes with a 1-year warranty which assures the units are free from factory defects. <p>The Grizzly Customer Service and Technical Support Teams are U.S. based if you had any questions about your purchase.</p> <p style="color:red;">Made in Japan</p> <h4>INCLUDES:</h4><ul> <li>1/8", 1/4", 3/8", 1/2", 5/8", 3/4", 7/8", 1", 1-1/4" and 1-1/2" chisels</li></ul>

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

I own a single Robert Sorby in 3/8" that is the best I've ever used. I also own a 1/8" two cherries that is great. Both of these are so much better than all the other chisels that I have, mostly Stanley, that next time I feel the need for a new chisel I will bite the bullet. The difference in holding an edge is remarkable.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• siliconbauhaus
          • Dec 2006
          • hagerstown, md

You can get the Footprint ones here for a good price

or the Iyoroi 6 pc set here
          Back after a long hiatus! These sets of gorgeous top quality chisels hold an edge like nobody's business. The tools are all made of laminated white steel
          パトリック
          daiku woodworking
          ^deshi^
          neoshed

Comment

Working...