• Show
Clear All
  • pelligrini
    Veteran Member
    • Apr 2007
    • Fort Worth, TX
    • Craftsman 21829

Making Lumber (or firewood)

I built my version of a saw buck earlier this year. It has a slot down the middle that lets me use a quick grip clamp to hold stuff down. It's pretty stable. I can use a plane and drawknife on it. When squaring logs I have some 45degree triangles to support a flattened side to rough out the other square side.

It was supposed to knock down easily, but somebody reversed one end during assembly. It has to be completely disassembled because the half laps at the end cross pieces face each other. I pretty much just move it from place to place as it gets in the way.
    Attached Files
    Erik
  • phrog
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2005
    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

That's cool, Erik. Did you find plans for this on the internet or did you just come up with it yourself? I think I might have a use for something like this if I can make it break down.
    Richard

Comment

• greenacres2
      • Dec 2011
      • La Porte, IN
      • Ryobi BT3000

Nicely done Erik. Our maples are all pretty healthy, but we get a lot of wild cherry that drops, so I've drawn a few band saw jigs in my mind. I'll get that built one of these days.

That second picture tells quite a story. Looks like you take the same path to get to the shop, and have made the trip at least a few times!!

earl

Comment

• pelligrini
        Veteran Member
        • Apr 2007
        • Fort Worth, TX
        • Craftsman 21829

Phrog, that was my design. It just seemed natural. I did do a google image search later and saw some good ideas. The clamp thing wasn't intended at first. I left the slot to cut down on sawdust buildup. I was playing with some hold down ideas and it dawned on me that a quick grip will fit right in. I'll take some more detailed photos if you want. I think I have a CAD drawing too, when I was working out the heights.

hehe, that's not my path. the dogs use it. A lot! I veer off of it before I get to the awning post. I used to have 20 little paws on it every day until recently. Over the last couple months it's down to 8.
        Erik

Comment

• phrog
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2005
          • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by pelligrini
          Phrog, that was my design. It just seemed natural. I did do a google image search later and saw some good ideas. The clamp thing wasn't intended at first. I left the slot to cut down on sawdust buildup. I was playing with some hold down ideas and it dawned on me that a quick grip will fit right in. I'll take some more detailed photos if you want. I think I have a CAD drawing too, when I was working out the heights.

hehe, that's not my path. the dogs use it. A lot! I veer off of it before I get to the awning post. I used to have 20 little paws on it every day until recently. Over the last couple months it's down to 8.
          Thanks, Erik. I would appreciate more photos and if you have a CAD, that would be nice too. Again, thanks. I've got several small logs around here that I need to cut (and a few that I'm going to need three or four guys to lift.)
          Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
            Gone but not Forgotten RIP
            • Jun 2006
            • So. Florida
            • Delta

Originally posted by pelligrini
            It has to be completely disassembled because the half laps at the end cross pieces face each other.
            Very cool idea. What would you have to do to disassemble/re-assemble?

Comment

• pelligrini
              Veteran Member
              • Apr 2007
              • Fort Worth, TX
              • Craftsman 21829

I have to unbolt the top wide boards from the cross frame members to get it apart now. if I would have done one of the vertical cross members as designed it would come apart with a top board attached two two legs. One of the half laps is facing the wrong direction, trapping it.
              Erik

Comment

• pelligrini
                Veteran Member
                • Apr 2007
                • Fort Worth, TX
                • Craftsman 21829

Here's some more photos of my sawbuck. A few were in the rain Sunday and then a few more from last night when I took care of another fallen limb from Sunday. If you build it, face one of the half laps in the other direction. Mine is a pain taking apart, as I made all the joints very tight and the carriage bolt holes too. I have to use a mallet or a log cut off.
                Attached Files
                Erik

Comment

• pelligrini
                  Veteran Member
                  • Apr 2007
                  • Fort Worth, TX
                  • Craftsman 21829

Here's an image from my CAD file. It's not a complete CAD design. It was to get me started, and get an idea of the heights. The rest of it came togeather as I was building it. I went for around 30" since my sawhorses were that high in case I needed them for additional support. It also put everything at a good working height for me.
                  Attached Files
                  Erik

Comment

• phrog
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jul 2005
                    • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Thanks, Erik. I have several logs I need to work on and this may be what I need.
                    Richard

Comment

• cabinetman
                      Gone but not Forgotten RIP
                      • Jun 2006
                      • So. Florida
                      • Delta

Much better pictures. While you have it apart, can you rearrange the half laps?

Comment

• pelligrini
                        Veteran Member
                        • Apr 2007
                        • Fort Worth, TX
                        • Craftsman 21829

Rearranging the half laps will entail redoing the connecting boards attached to it, which are glued and screwed into place. I think I'll just get used to taking the one side apart. It's not that bad, and it will always remind me to consider that type of problem in the future.
                        Erik

Comment

Working...