What can we do to rev up activity/membership here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

Originally posted by jking
    For me, the problem has been as my kids have gotten older, much of my free time is spent with them.
    Ditto to that! My kids are still young so there aren't that many activities yet, but I can see it going in that direction. I only get in WWing during their naps on the weekend, after their bedtime, if I take a day off work, or by the good graces of my wife who is an excellent horse trader.

I certainly understand your points and they are valid. I just don't have a desire to be part of FB. After hearing about the negatives (privacy issues, picture ownership, etc.) any appeal (very small amount) it had is gone.
    It took me a long time to get onboard with FB. However, I did it to reconnect with family/friends/cousins/aunts/uncles spread out over the world. Now my cousins have kids and it's nice to keep up to date so when all of us get together, it's like there was no time apart. When I was growing up, most of my cousins lived a few hours away and our parents made an effort to get together often so we are pretty tight.

It can be impersonal on FB, but the alternative for me is to completely lose touch because I'm not the type of person who is going to pick up the phone and just start chatting.

Comment

• Stytooner
      Roll Tide RIP Lee
      • Dec 2002
      • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
      • BT3100

As far as the build challenges are concerned, I really like them. But, in the past, I have never competed & I don't know if I would in the future. The projects that have been submitted in the past are so far beyond my creative skills.
      And that may be where you are wrong. Make something that solves a problem. My first shark guard was antiquated from what it is now. It did, however, solve a problem. It created much bigger ones for me, and I am fortunate because of it.
      I am actually saving the World one finger at a time. Which finger is up to the reader.
      Just do it is a very good slogan. You do not always have to have a reason to do something. Doing something simple may change your life. It did mine and my Families.
      Creativity is part of the judging when it comes to these contests. It is not everything though. Give it a whirl when it comes around. Your results may surprise you.
      Lee

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

I am currently working on a pull out cutting board for an old friend. I have a few other projects in assorted stages of progress. Just last evening I was speculating to LOML that I've not really had much passion for woodworking since I put my finger through the router bit. Other than building a kitchen for a buddy, I've not done much.

When I was so busy with woodworking most of my projects were purpose driven. The few that were not I would have to say that I was somehow inspired to build something. These days I am inspired to ride my bicycle mile upon mile. Keep the suggestions coming, part of my inspiration in the years past was this forum and the talented woodworkers who posted here.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• tfischer
          Veteran Member
          • Jul 2003
          • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
          • BT3100

For me, the problem has been as my kids have gotten older, much of my free time is spent with them.
          I totally understand this - and this is a large part why I haven't done much of any woodworking in the last 5-6 years (my youngest is 6). Like most of you, I also have several other hobbies, and for me I tend to "task switch" between them.

But it's sure been a blast to be making sawdust again. I forgot how fun and rewarding that creative process is. And I've been having my oldest (9) in the shop occasionally, helping me with simpler tasks, and explaining what I'm doing and how to do it. Hopefully it will plant some seeds for him to do woodworking on his own someday.

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

I think that Atgcpaul is correct, this site is about an saw that is no longer in production and has little draw to others. I would not be suprised if you were to survey other sites that were based on obsolete machinery, be it cars, boats, airplanes or even table saws, you would see the same trend. Enjoy it while is is around.

Comment

• Cochese
              Veteran Member
              • Jun 2010

I think some of the problem we have here is a narrow focus, one that was supposed to be addressed with a name change. You also have a bit of saturation in the woodworking forums. There are so many to choose from and I have been a part of a lot of them. Usually though, my activity is less posting and more reading, even on FOG with new toys.

Personally, I'm at a crossroads - little projects or huge projects like building multiple structures. As such, not a lot going on besides little projects that my wife needs, not really worthy of making forum posts about (that no one will comment on anyway). I've suggested before we need a kind of chat thread where we post stuff that may not be worthy of a standalone thread but would still like to share. Most of that stuff or musings just go on my website.

With coaching soccer these days (four games in three days this weekend) and other activities, time isn't on my side. It will pass, but with the lack of feedback I get so often I'd rather just post on my site.
              I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • BT3100

Originally posted by capncarl
                I think that Atgcpaul is correct, this site is about an saw that is no longer in production and has little draw to others. I would not be suprised if you were to survey other sites that were based on obsolete machinery, be it cars, boats, airplanes or even table saws, you would see the same trend. Enjoy it while is is around.
                That was the original purpose for the forum, but even 6-8 years ago there was a lot of general woodworking discussion.

It appears in my absense there was some talk and possibly some action on rebranding the site as "sawdustzone.com", which would be a good step in losing the image that this site is obsolete and only about an old saw. It's not like the BT3 expertise will go out the window when that change happens...

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese
                  Personally, I'm at a crossroads - little projects or huge projects like building multiple structures. As such, not a lot going on besides little projects that my wife needs, not really worthy of making forum posts about (that no one will comment on anyway). I've suggested before we need a kind of chat thread where we post stuff that may not be worthy of a standalone thread but would still like to share. Most of that stuff or musings just go on my website.
                  At the volume that this forum currently has, I think any threads about any projects (no matter how small) would be a good start. I learned a lot by looking at people's project threads in the past, asking questions, etc, and they were sometimes pretty minor.

Comment

• dbhost
                    Slow and steady
                    • Apr 2008
                    • League City, Texas
                    • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by tfischer
                    That was the original purpose for the forum, but even 6-8 years ago there was a lot of general woodworking discussion.

It appears in my absense there was some talk and possibly some action on rebranding the site as "sawdustzone.com", which would be a good step in losing the image that this site is obsolete and only about an old saw. It's not like the BT3 expertise will go out the window when that change happens...
                    That effort is underway, albeit slowly. The BT3Central name will stick around for a while, but will eventually just be an alias to the Sawdustzone name...

Actually I have to spend some quality keyboard time tonight and will likely get some Sawdustzone development work done tonight.
                    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• TCAS
                      Forum Newbie
                      • Feb 2006

Originally posted by tfischer
                      Back when I was new to the forum, there were quite a few people in the late 20s/early 30s demo... Seems we've lost that demographic almost entirely now
                      It's tough to have a basement workshop when you're forced by the economy and the inability to find a job to live in your parent's basement!

Comment

• tfischer
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jul 2003
                        • BT3100

Originally posted by TCAS
                        It's tough to have a basement workshop when you're forced by the economy and the inability to find a job to live in your parent's basement!
                        I know a lot of people in that demographic and most of them are doing reasonably well. I don't know anyone past their mid 20s still living with their parents.

Comment

• capncarl
                          Veteran Member
                          • Jan 2007
                          • Leesburg Georgia USA
                          • SawStop CTS

Another demographic missed that may include BT# members, people in their 60's with their parents living with them.

Comment

Working...