• Show
Clear All
  • JR
    The Full Monte
    • Feb 2004
    • Eugene, OR
    • BT3000

I need advice re: HF34706 lathe

Ok, I have successfully turned a couple of pens. Naturally, I'm hooked.

I need a shorter tool rest than the one supplied OEM. I bought one with a 1" post, but it was a smidge to big for the base. I'd guess I need a 25mm one vs 1".

Has anyone successfully added a post to their HF34706 lathe? Do you have any tips on how to solve this problem?

TIA,
    JR
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

I'm interested in this as well.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• Brian G
      • Jun 2003
      • Bloomington, Minnesota.
      • G0899

JR, I warned you!

About half-way down: Rick Herrell link to another forum

Next you'll "just need a. . " then "I really need a. . . " and after that, "just a few. . . "
      Brian

Comment

• dbhost
        Slow and steady
        • Apr 2008
        • League City, Texas
        • Ryobi BT3100

Check Teknatool... I think they use a 25mm post.
        Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• dbhost
          Slow and steady
          • Apr 2008
          • League City, Texas
          • Ryobi BT3100

Found it!

Make double sure with your calipers, but I believe that the post is indeed 25mm, And LeeValley has their Modular Tool Rest System that should work with it...

To get the shorter rest you want you would get....

Threaded Post, 25mm dia. (4-3/4")
          85S08.56 $14.90

and...

4" Straight Support
          85S08.32 $29.50

I believe you were warned, very much like I was, that turning is a slippery slope right? At least it is a productive, somewhat healthy addiction!
          Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

I had exactly the same problem with my 34706. I ordered a Jet 6" rest with a 1" post. When I got it, it just would not go in (by a slight amount). I wrapped a piece of medium grit sandpaper around the post and sanded the paint off. (Took about 5 minutes) It went in then. It works well.
            Last edited by phrog; 05-16-2014, 11:05 AM.
            Richard

Comment

• JR
              The Full Monte
              • Feb 2004
              • Eugene, OR
              • BT3000

Ok, there are some good leads here. Thanks, guys.

I guess my main confusion was when I searched Amazon they showed a bunch of items listed as "25mm/1"". Given that my problem is that 25mm is not 1", I wasn't sure what to expect.

I now see that reputable tool suppliers are pretty good about clearly discriminating between the two measurements.
              JR

Comment

• dbhost
                Slow and steady
                • Apr 2008
                • League City, Texas
                • Ryobi BT3100

Not the best suggestion. But what about taking the base off, and to a machine shop and getting it reamed to 1"? It would fit a standard post then. your stocker would be useless at that point, but what the heck...

Comment

• tfischer
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jul 2003
                  • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                  • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                  Not the best suggestion. But what about taking the base off, and to a machine shop and getting it reamed to 1"? It would fit a standard post then. your stocker would be useless at that point, but what the heck...
                  Was thinking the same thing. And couldn't you just do it with a 1" drill bit?

I don't have a lathe and have never used one, but does this piece clamp in place or just friction fit? If it clamps in place I would think that the old 25mm (.98 inches) shaft would still work in the larger 1" hole.

Comment

• hermit
                    Established Member
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Somerset, PA, USA.

Put a skinny sanding drum attachment in your hand drill or drill press, and ream out the base. Thats what I did with my Grizzly, which looks just like the HF. The original still works too, just has a little more play, but can be tightened with the lock bolt.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2

Comment

• dbhost
                      Slow and steady
                      • Apr 2008
                      • League City, Texas
                      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by hermit
                      Put a skinny sanding drum attachment in your hand drill or drill press, and ream out the base. Thats what I did with my Grizzly, which looks just like the HF. The original still works too, just has a little more play, but can be tightened with the lock bolt.

Sent from my VS910 4G using Tapatalk 2
                      I like this idea... I also want to add optional tool rests. Especially the bowl rests...

Comment

• Eric
                        • Jun 2003
                        • Cocolalla, ID
                        • Grizzly G0691 & BT3100

I saw that you can order a full sized tool rest from HF for like $10 then you can cut it down to the size that you want.

Comment

• JR
                          The Full Monte
                          • Feb 2004
                          • Eugene, OR
                          • BT3000

Originally posted by Eric
                          I saw that you can order a full sized tool rest from HF for like $10 then you can cut it down to the size that you want.
                          Yeah, I found that thread, too. It's not clear how to find the tool post at HF, though. I guess I'll have to call and talk to a human being.
                          JR

Comment

• JR
                            The Full Monte
                            • Feb 2004
                            • Eugene, OR
                            • BT3000

Ok, I bit the bullet and spoke with a service rep at HF. It was easy and painless.

They have it in stock. Total, including tax, S&H = $19.88. This price compares favorably to any other tool rest on the market. The nice "system" from Lee Valley or Best Wood Tools would be $50 or more, plus S&H. But then it's not ergonomically designed from unobtainium, guaranteed to turn without mishap for centuries. I'll have to soldier on somehow.

Now to tune up my hack saw!
                            JR

Comment

• gerti
                              Veteran Member
                              • Dec 2003
                              • Minnetonka, MN, USA.
                              • BT3100 "Frankensaw"

The one thing about the tool rest of the HF34706 is that it is fairly soft. That'll help you cut it, but it also means it nicks fairly easy. Every now and then it'll need smoothing over with a fine file, so that the tools will move smoothly across it.

Comment

Working...