What can we do to rev up activity/membership here?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tfischer
    Veteran Member
    • Jul 2003
    • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
    • BT3100

What can we do to rev up activity/membership here?

Having returned to this form after about a 5 year absence (from the forums and woodworking itself) this past month, I'm a little sad to see the activity level so low. Back in the 'heyday' this place was buzzing and a truly inspiring place to pick up woodworking tips, deals, etc. Looking back at the last week, there's an average of only 4 threads with any activity on them per day.

So I'm wondering what if anything we can do to rev up woodworking talk here? Maybe a build challenge? A "project of the week"? A conscious effort of every remaining active member to post what they're working on?

I do appreciate the few active members that seem to go out of their way to post new topics and keep discussion rolling.

As a new woodworker in about 2004, this was the primary place where I asked questions, picked up some invaluable tips, and gathered feedback to outfit my tool collection. I reluctantly registered at another WW forum yesterday, but it just doesn't feel the same. In the past I've only browsed there, never registered or posted, as I got pretty much what I needed here at BT3.

-Tim
  • leehljp
    Just me
    • Dec 2002
    • Tunica, MS
    • BT3000/3100

Agreed. For me, I seemed to have had more time for woodworking in Japan when I was spending 12 to 14 hours a day with my work - 6 and 7 days a week than I do now, and I am supposedly semi-retired.

I went to a funeral yesterday in AR with a pastor friend and he said on the way home - Hank, we are having that conference we have been talking about on the last weekend in August. You are the key speaker. I said thanks for checking with me AFTER making the plans. (LOML and I will be spending our 45th anniversary time on Labor Day weekend.) This has been happening more and more lately. I keep telling people to make their plans a year in advance if they want me there. (I'm serious, I have several dozen 1 & 2 day events on the books for next year already.)

That isn't directly related to your proposal, however I get the feeling in this tight economy, more people on this forum are also busier now than ever. The reason being: 1, the need to supplement income; 2, competent retirement age people have a vast amount of experience that is missing in some companies; (woodworkers overall tend to be more competent than average worker because they look through problems and solve the issue) 3. retired people under contract are sometimes cheaper and more effecient than a new hire. 4. I also learned that those just coming into retirement are more likely busy for 2 to 3 years exploring things they did not have time when full time employed. 5. Retired people become necessity baby sitters for grandkids!

Loring posted the "age" poll recently and the largest single group was the "60 - 70" age. When this group drops off due to the reasons above (and other reasons), the woodworking projects slow down.

STILL, I would like to see more projects.
    Project 1: for me:
    I have one in mind that I have been working on for months in my mind. I need a rolling vertical "case" organizer for all of my tools in cases. I don't have enough wall space, I do have a little floor space but I need something on wheels for movability. In two or three weeks, hopefull, I can get to working on it. I am think of a 2' X 2' square vertical tower on wheels with the ability to adjust shelves to accomodate various sized cases. I usually put my tools back into their cases. If I had this, it would be easier to find them.

Project 2: I have been working on a sliding vertical pantry/cabinet to fit between my daughter's refrigerator and the wall 6 inchs away. 3/4 completed, but it has been a pure battle for time. I have to finish it by Thursday and take it on Friday of next week. I don't even have time for pictures. I will take some pictures when I install it next week - IF I finish it in time for my trip to MO for my daughter's birthday. More meetings this week, morning, mid day and evening. My projects are "grab a minute and a saw and cut"; drop everything and run to a meeting. That has been going on for 2 months.

I miss woodworking! OH I didn't mention: when I do have a half a day or a day off, LOML says: "We need a date! This day is mine and you are taking me to . . . ! I can't argue with that.
    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• tfischer
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2003
      • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
      • BT3100

Back when I was new to the forum, there were quite a few people in the late 20s/early 30s demo. My first "finished project" I showed off here was a changing table/dresser for our first baby which was coming that year (2004), and there were a number of other 'new dads' that were building furniture for their kids as well. Seems we've lost that demographic almost entirely now, and even the folks my age have largely drifted away. Hopefully they'll find their way back... I was away for awhile myself. Occasionally I'll go back and look at old threads from the 2004-2007 time frame when I was most active here and wonder what some of those guys are up to today.

Anyway, I appreciate the fact that this forum is still up and running even in its current state. And I appreciate all of you guys that I continue to learn a lot from

Comment

• atgcpaul
        Veteran Member
        • Aug 2003
        • Maryland
        • Grizzly 1023SLX

This topic has even come up on another WWing site I frequent that is much larger than BT3. The thread starter proposed it was the economy that affected participation. I do remember when I started WWing a little more than 10 years ago, there seemed to be a ton of new tool deals around. Now, not such much, but I'm personally good with what I have.

I suppose it could be a lot of other reasons, too. Even our founder, Sam, moved on to different interests as his kids got older.

Whatever the reason, I'm glad some "old" members keep popping up but I am sad that others have completely disappeared.

Paul

Comment

• cray-
          Forum Newbie
          • Nov 2013
          • Perth, AUS

I'm brand new here as I only recently purchased my BT3100, I have found the archive to be an invaluable resource as pretty much any and every question has already been asked and answered somewhere along the line.

I'm guessing new signups are few and far between due to the niche focus of this board and end of life nature of the products. As the older members move on you don't have a steady stream of new ones to fill the pages. It's a shame, but I think it's almost inevitable. In fact I'm surprised this place is doing as well as it is, a testament to the bond of the users that they still hang around and communicate long after they've stopped using their BT3's.

Sorry I've got no decent suggestions on how to stimulate the masses, only if you're here, post something, anything. Planning a project, work in progress, completed work, kudos on someone else's efforts.
          Michael

Comment

• cray-
            Forum Newbie
            • Nov 2013
            • Perth, AUS

Further to the above, in regards to age demographics and new blood. I'm seeing more new users on places like Reddit's /r/woodworking/ where users can go to one place and participate in a whole bunch of different topics, rather than using a dedicated forum for each of their interests.

I'm 34 which is practically ancient in Internet years and I've been using online forums since the dialup BBS days in my teens. I'm a member of dozens and dozens of traditional forums for my different hobbies and I think this is a very old school method of doing things. It requires a considerable amount of time and effort to keep up with even a portion of them, whereas places like Reddit and Facebook are more easily navigated on smart phones and tablets for people who's free time and attention span are limited.

Just some observations.
            Michael

Comment

• Pappy
              The Full Monte
              • Dec 2002
              • San Marcos, TX, USA.
              • BT3000 (x2)

I check in a couple of times a day but rarely post anymore. It seems that there is a decreasing number of posts that deal with woodworking. I am as guilty as anyone of contributing to that problem.

A lot of times I will log on, scan the 'New Posts' subjects, see nothing of interest to me, and log off.
              Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
              Fools because they have to say something.
              Plato

Comment

• bmyers
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2003
                • Fishkill, NY
                • bt 3100

Originally posted by Pappy
                I check in a couple of times a day but rarely post anymore. It seems that there is a decreasing number of posts that deal with woodworking. I am as guilty as anyone of contributing to that problem.

A lot of times I will log on, scan the 'New Posts' subjects, see nothing of interest to me, and log off.
                Kontent is King.
                Is, was and always will be. I do about the same as Pappy does. Too many "around the coffee pot" and not enough woodworking content.

The "around the coffee pot" content will not draw eyeballs to the site like actual woodworking projects will. It's an exponential affect with a downward spiral. This applies to returning eyeballs like Pappy or new eyeballs.

I've been running websites since Al Gore invented them and this rule is always #1.

Rule #2 is is to keep rule #1 recent and relevant.

Bill
                "Why are there Braille codes on drive-up ATM machines?"

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I have been noticing young men and women’s interest and activities changing a lot in the past few years. Most of their interest is now focus on the smart phone that appears to be attached to the end of their arm! On this Marine base there is a really nice hobby shop that they can do anything they want to their autos. It sets largely unused. The radio club is basically defunct. The softball and baseball fields have weeds growing up in the infields. They have no hobbies and just seem to be hypnotized by their phones. We can complain and fight this phenomomia all we want but it is the way it is. Times change.

Comment

• Stytooner
                    Roll Tide RIP Lee
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
                    • BT3100

My phone makes and receives phone calls. That is all I use it for. It is capable of texting, but I don't do that. I have a rather large desktop computer with a big flat screen. I do a lot of CAD work and cannot fathom doing it on a tablet or phone.
                    LOML has a laptop with a flat screen and keyboard attached to it's docking station.

My Son only uses his phone. We bought him a Tablet and that does get a little use. He has no Home computer. Is not concerned about getting one. He gets his "FIX" with his phone. That is the trend.

I personally like the Forum format, but I guess I am old hat. I'm not quite 55 yet. I suppose it may be the old dog, new trick thing.

We are in the process of updating forum software. That may have an effect. Once that is done, there are some other ideas that we have been rolling around. Another build challenge is one of those. I have to warn you guys though. I have been practicing. Just last week I built a concrete form for our new heat pump that I am installing. Okay, not a lot of good practice, but did get to use my circular saw.

Post up some other ideas that you guys might have about drawing traffic.
                    Lee

Comment

• trungdok
                      Established Member
                      • Oct 2012
                      • MA

[QUOTE=cray-;529541]I'm 34 which is practically ancient in Internet years .... /QUOTE]

HEY HEY HEY!!! Now I feel old

Comment

• atgcpaul
                        Veteran Member
                        • Aug 2003
                        • Maryland
                        • Grizzly 1023SLX

Sorry, this post is all over the place.

Since someone mentioned Facebook, I'll use them as an example. The FB app or PC version handles the image upload, resizes it automatically, and hosts it (of course, they own your pic at that point, but probably not that important for most in-progress pics). Then your friends can comment to your post, etc---like we do here. People can also casually "Like" your post without having to say anything more.

I don't think any of us post anything here that we don't want comments on.

I think my workplace would give you a good slice of why we have no 20 somethings on this site and also echoes the discussion over on Woodnet. In a roundabout way, it could be the economy. I'm 38 and am probably on the older end of the spectrum of the non-top-management people who are in their late 40s or mid-50s. Most of the people I work with are in their late 20s or early 30s.

However, I owned my first townhome when I was 27 (with parent's help). That's when I got serious about WWing--always had a passion for tinkering, though. Nearly everyone here is renting an apartment or has a condo. There's no opportunity for them do to any real DIY. I also had been WWing about 7 years before we had our first kid. The people here who do get married and can actually buy a place of their own, have kids almost right away, so there goes the opportunity to get in any real DIY until later.

I have two younger coworkers who do have families and houses and I am also their FB friend. They will post pictures to FB, but I really doubt they're going to seek out a forum like BT3 where they have no established "fan base" and start posting. Finally, as Cray mentioned, I think most of us came here because we own the Ryobi saw. If you just Google "woodworking forum" or "online woodworking forum", BT3 doesn't even appear in the first 5 pages of hits. It's no surprise we aren't getting new members.

Paul

Comment

• jking
                          • May 2003
                          • Des Moines, IA.
                          • BT3100

For me, the problem has been as my kids have gotten older, much of my free time is spent with them. Especially during the warm weather months when I could do woodworking, the little bit of time I have at the end of the day I am usually tired & don't want to start anything. Even turning, which I am set up to do in the house, I have not touched in longer than I care to admit. As the kids get larger, it seems the garage is now filled with bikes & outdoor toys. Since my tools are in the garage, I would have to spend so much time making room to get my tools out, & then I'd have very little time actually spent working before I'd have to put everything away.

It's a rather discouraging situation as I have numerous projects I need to do, but, seem to have very little to no time in which to work on them.

As far as the build challengesare concerned, I really like them. But, in the past, I have never competed & I don't know if I would in the future. The projects that have been submitted in the past are so far beyond my creative skills.

Comment

• jking
                            • May 2003
                            • Des Moines, IA.
                            • BT3100

Originally posted by atgcpaul
                            Sorry, this post is all over the place.

Since someone mentioned Facebook, I'll use them as an example. The FB app or PC version handles the image upload, resizes it automatically, and hosts it (of course, they own your pic at that point, but probably not that important for most in-progress pics). Then your friends can comment to your post, etc---like we do here. People can also casually "Like" your post without having to say anything more.

I don't think any of us post anything here that we don't want comments on.

I think my workplace would give you a good slice of why we have no 20 somethings on this site and also echoes the discussion over on Woodnet. In a roundabout way, it could be the economy. I'm 38 and am probably on the older end of the spectrum of the non-top-management people who are in their late 40s or mid-50s. Most of the people I work with are in their late 20s or early 30s.

However, I owned my first townhome when I was 27 (with parent's help). That's when I got serious about WWing--always had a passion for tinkering, though. Nearly everyone here is renting an apartment or has a condo. There's no opportunity for them do to any real DIY. I also had been WWing about 7 years before we had our first kid. The people here who do get married and can actually buy a place of their own, have kids almost right away, so there goes the opportunity to get in any real DIY until later.

I have two younger coworkers who do have families and houses and I am also their FB friend. They will post pictures to FB, but I really doubt they're going to seek out a forum like BT3 where they have no established "fan base" and start posting. Finally, as Cray mentioned, I think most of us came here because we own the Ryobi saw. If you just Google "woodworking forum" or "online woodworking forum", BT3 doesn't even appear in the first 5 pages of hits. It's no surprise we aren't getting new members.

Paul
                            I certainly understand your points and they are valid. I just don't have a desire to be part of FB. After hearing about the negatives (privacy issues, picture ownership, etc.) any appeal (very small amount) it had is gone.

Comment

• dbhost
                              Slow and steady
                              • Apr 2008
                              • League City, Texas
                              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by cray-
                              Further to the above, in regards to age demographics and new blood. I'm seeing more new users on places like Reddit's /r/woodworking/ where users can go to one place and participate in a whole bunch of different topics, rather than using a dedicated forum for each of their interests.

I'm 34 which is practically ancient in Internet years and I've been using online forums since the dialup BBS days in my teens. I'm a member of dozens and dozens of traditional forums for my different hobbies and I think this is a very old school method of doing things. It requires a considerable amount of time and effort to keep up with even a portion of them, whereas places like Reddit and Facebook are more easily navigated on smart phones and tablets for people who's free time and attention span are limited.

Just some observations.
                              Not going to disagree, but for the most part, this woodworking community anyway, is given a good deal of effort in keeping it civil. Facebook, not so much...

From the perspective of mobile devices, I don't see a forum as being any harder to use than Facebook, and in many ways it is actually easier than FB to do mobile forums... At least thus far...

From the activity issue, I think forums in general have seen a bit of a slump, but while some have outright gone away, others are springing back.

We currently, but not in the long run lack some important features to help in those areas... Not the least of which is a more graphic intensity. People want to see photos.. Lots and lots of photos...

One thing to keep in mind, this forum, is first and foremost a community, we as a staff are doing what we can to facilitate that community, and need your input for what direction you want to see us go. Feel free to let us know what you think would improve things...
                              Last edited by dbhost; 04-28-2014, 09:58 AM.
                              Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

Working...