• Show
Clear All
  • dbhost
    Slow and steady
    • Apr 2008
    • League City, Texas
    • Ryobi BT3100

Simple nitrile gloves dispenser.

This is for those that aren't interested in going to my blog, I figured you might still want to see it...

In an effort to better organize my shop, and to put / keep my safety gear where it can be easily found / accessed by anyone in the house, I am mounting it all to the back side of the man door to the house.

I whipped up this simple little plywood dispenser that holds the box of Harbor Freight nitrile gloves.

The gloves I have been using are the Harbor Freight 5 mil nitrile gloves in X Large. I have a box of the Western Safety, and a box of the Hardy branded gloves. The only difference appears to be the graphics on the box...

The dispenser is open at the top, and I simply push / slide the box up and out, then the new box slides down and in... The opening is more than sufficient to fully access the dispenser slot.

Build time was less than 20 minutes including design time (does it show?), and materials used was yet more scrap plywood from my cutoffs pile...

If you haven't figured it out yet, I am making an aggressive attempt to eliminate the cutoffs pile as much as is possible.

While I was in there, I also moved up my safety glasses hanger bracket to free up space lower down the door so that I can store my respirators.

I am also considering a first aid eye wash station, however the kitchen sink is literally 8 feet from that door, I am not sure how an eye wash station would be any better... Opinions? Ideas where to get an eye wash thingy?
    Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.
  • Cochese
    Veteran Member
    • Jun 2010

Not a bad way to use the cutoffs. I was lazy and just bought the magnetic one from HF.
    I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• dbhost
      Slow and steady
      • Apr 2008
      • League City, Texas
      • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by Cochese
      Not a bad way to use the cutoffs. I was lazy and just bought the magnetic one from HF.
      Yeah, door is wood. However the freezer IS metal... So that could have worked too...!
      Please like and subscribe to my YouTube channel. Please check out and subscribe to my Workshop Blog.

Comment

• tfischer
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2003
        • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
        • BT3100

Nice use of "wasted" wall space on the door. Do you find that using the door rattles things around too badly? Our "man door" to the garage gets used frequently so that would be a concern - especially with the extinguisher.

Comment

• atgcpaul
          Veteran Member
          • Aug 2003
          • Maryland
          • Grizzly 1023SLX

Good idea.

Funny, at work we have glove dispensers and first aid kits all over the place. In my shop, they're in the back in a cabinet. I'd probably sustain another injury trying to get back there if I ever needed them.

I should probably do something like you did within closer reach.

Comment

• leehljp
            Just me
            • Dec 2002
            • Tunica, MS
            • BT3000/3100

I used the door to my shop in Japan for posting charts (drill bit sizes and screw sizes) and for fairly light weight items that didn't stick out too far. I kept pencils there too. I always needed one inside or outside - which made the door handy for pencil holders.
            Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• dbhost
              Slow and steady
              • Apr 2008
              • League City, Texas
              • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by leehljp
              I used the door to my shop in Japan for posting charts (drill bit sizes and screw sizes) and for fairly light weight items that didn't stick out too far. I kept pencils there too. I always needed one inside or outside - which made the door handy for pencil holders.
              Yeah. As it sits, the only item that really bugs me there is the extingusher. I just have no clue where else to keep it...

Comment

• tfischer
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2003
                • Plymouth (Minneapolis), MN, USA.
                • BT3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                Yeah. As it sits, the only item that really bugs me there is the extingusher. I just have no clue where else to keep it...
                I have mine right next to the door on the side of a cabinet. It's easy to get to from either the house or the garage/shop.

Comment

• dbhost
                  Slow and steady
                  • Apr 2008
                  • League City, Texas
                  • Ryobi BT3100

I might just have to move my extinguisher to the wall. I want it easy to get to, close the the other safety items, but out of the way as well...

Comment

• leehljp
                    Just me
                    • Dec 2002
                    • Tunica, MS
                    • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by dbhost
                    I might just have to move my extinguisher to the wall. I want it easy to get to, close the the other safety items, but out of the way as well...
                    At least it is in a handy, convenient and "quick to get" place. THAT is what is important! By the way, I put my thermometer on the door also!
                    Last edited by leehljp; 04-28-2014, 05:15 PM.
                    Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• LCHIEN
                      Internet Fact Checker
                      • Dec 2002
                      • Katy, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 vintage 1999

seems like stuff that sticks out more than a few inches (e.g. extinguisher), is a candidate for banging you in the shoulder when you walk through the open door.

And if not secured top and bottom will swing and bang each time you use the door.
                      Loring in Katy, TX USA
                      If your only tool is a hammer, you tend to treat all problems as if they were nails.
                      BT3 FAQ - https://www.sawdustzone.org/forum/di...sked-questions

Comment

• dbhost
                        Slow and steady
                        • Apr 2008
                        • League City, Texas
                        • Ryobi BT3100

Originally posted by LCHIEN
                        seems like stuff that sticks out more than a few inches (e.g. extinguisher), is a candidate for banging you in the shoulder when you walk through the open door.

And if not secured top and bottom will swing and bang each time you use the door.
                        Banging, no not really. Swining and beating the door. Yes. Need to figure out a solution to that, which is the primary reason I am considering moving the extinguisher...

Comment

Working...