X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jussi
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007

Shop Progress

A few weeks ago I started installing laminate flooring in my shop. After several delays I finally finished and this weekend I moved in most of the tools. Alot of the larger tools were stored outside under a covered carport. And while no rain got on them, I'm guessing the morning dew was enough to cause some surface rusting. So I had a bit of rust removal on my plate.

This is, what I affectionately call, the shop the Craigslist built. I've had the tablesaw and spindle sander for several months now but just turned them on for the first time today because I didn't have 220 until now. The tablesaw is a beast and took 4 of us to carry in. But now that it's in the shop, I can easily move it with the built-in casters. I wasn't able to use the casters outside because the ground was too bumpy outside. Putting the saw back together and tuning it up took almost a whole day in itself and I'm still not quite finised. I still have to adjust the fences straightness but I don't think that will take long. I've only made some test cuts but I'm loving all the features it has so far. I'm using the stock guard for now but I eventually want to use my old excalibur overhead guard. I just need to make some kind of bracket to have it ceiling mounted since the right side of the saw has a router table now and he left side is too close to the blade. I initially wanted to mount a jessem mast-r-slide to it but couldn't bring myself to hack up the tube and rails. I wanted a more direct path for the dc run to the tablessaw this time around so I dug a hole and made a cover for it. I then attached ducting to the cover so I could take it apart if it ever got clogged. I still have alot to do but it's a start. If I make anymore significant progress I'll update here.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

That looks really nice. How does it feel to walk on wood-ish floors over foam compared to concrete?

Comment

• jussi
      Veteran Member
      • Jan 2007

Originally posted by atgcpaul
      That looks really nice. How does it feel to walk on wood-ish floors over foam compared to concrete?

Alot better. It's the main reason I put them in. I was in a shop some years back that had them installed and I knew I eventually wanted them in my shop. It's an mdf core so even without the foam it gives some cushion. Before this I covered half the floor with that interlocking foam tiles which was a hastle since alot of my tools are on casters and I had to move the tiles out of the way to move the tools. I will probably keep a few and just use them on key spots where I know I may be standing for a long time.

Comment

• wardprobst
        • Jan 2006
        • Wichita Falls, TX, USA.
        • Craftsman 22811

Wow, looks good, glad you are "in the dry".
        DP
        www.wardprobst.com

Comment

• Cochese
          Veteran Member
          • Jun 2010

That looks really great. You used foam? What depth?
          I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• capncarl
            Veteran Member
            • Jan 2007
            • Leesburg Georgia USA
            • SawStop CTS

Nice looking floor! I know you are glad to be back in the shop for other reasons than working on it. When you figure out where the right spot for the foam mats please let us know. Is that a new Powermatic?
            capncarl

Comment

• jussi
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007

Originally posted by Cochese
              That looks really great. You used foam? What depth?
              I just went with the best reviewed on Amazon and got this. Which is 3/32" thick. Prob should have looked around a bit more and gotten the 1/8" thick type. But I'm still really happy with it and it MUCH better than my old wavy, unforgiving concrete floor.
              Last edited by jussi; 02-02-2015, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• jussi
                Veteran Member
                • Jan 2007

Originally posted by capncarl
                Nice looking floor! I know you are glad to be back in the shop for other reasons than working on it. When you figure out where the right spot for the foam mats please let us know. Is that a new Powermatic?
                capncarl

Thanks. I'll probably put one near the tablesaw and router table for sure as I'm usually standing in front of those machines for long periods of time. Not sure where else just yet.

The saw, PM2000, is new to me I got it on craigslist mid last year for a song and replaced my trusty craftsman 22124 zipcode saw. I want to mount an overhead guard but can't use the Excalibur set up as it will block my router table. I'm thinking of just using the guard and making a ceiling mount for it. Saw this online and want to adapt something like it.

Excalibur also makes a ceiling mounted version but I'd have to order the whole guard. But it does give me ideas on a mount

Last edited by jussi; 02-02-2015, 11:28 AM.

Comment

• poolhound
                  Veteran Member
                  • Mar 2006
                  • Phoenix, AZ
                  • BT3100

Nice floor Jussi and the table saw looks like new is that a PM2000?

Did you get that on CL as well I have seen a few here advertised but they still seem a little pricey. I always wanted a PM but not sure my small shop would fit such a beast. If I ever retire my BT I guess I may end up with one of the smaller saw stops as LOML thinks they are a good idea.

I also see you have the 50-760 DC in the middle of the shop still with the stock bag. I found that mine does a great job but it also distributes the fines all over everything. When I was working in my garage with the door open its was OK but now I have moved to an enclosed shop I have decided to install it outside. I see you have a lot of DC plumbing but have you considered possibly creating a DC closet to at least minimize the fines issue?
                  Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                  techzibits.com

Comment

• jussi
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007

Yah the PM2000 is used and I got it from CL. The previous owner took really good care of it and didn't use it much. It came with a mobile base (aside from the built in), a router table set up and a trion router and lift, and few other accessories. I've always wanted a saw with a riving knife and the newer, more effecient dc and when this one appeared for 70% off retail I pounced. Even though I didn't really have the room or more importantly the power (110 only) to use it. Short of a Sawstop showing up for a great deal I think this will be my final tablesaw.

Yah the dc does miss alot of the fine dust. But fortunately I work with garage doors open so that helps. I use my larger compressor and go throught the walls and ceiling and blow out the fines laying around once every couple of months. The Thien separator does a great job of getting the larger stuff but (as expected) most of the fines get through. I will probably will order a canister filter soon, probably a wynn. But the ultimate goal is to get a real cyclone. The down side of those is the cost and size. JDS makes a really nice one that's quite compact (when compared to other cyclones) and would solve my size problem. But of course there's the $1500 price tag to deal with.

I hadn't really thought of a dc closet. Space is a premium and I doubt I would have the space but I'll look into it and see. Thanks for the suggestion.

Originally posted by poolhound
                    Nice floor Jussi and the table saw looks like new is that a PM2000?

Did you get that on CL as well I have seen a few here advertised but they still seem a little pricey. I always wanted a PM but not sure my small shop would fit such a beast. If I ever retire my BT I guess I may end up with one of the smaller saw stops as LOML thinks they are a good idea.

I also see you have the 50-760 DC in the middle of the shop still with the stock bag. I found that mine does a great job but it also distributes the fines all over everything. When I was working in my garage with the door open its was OK but now I have moved to an enclosed shop I have decided to install it outside. I see you have a lot of DC plumbing but have you considered possibly creating a DC closet to at least minimize the fines issue?

Comment

• Cochese
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jun 2010

Originally posted by jussi
                      I just went with the best reviewed on Amazon and got this. Which is 3/32" thick. Prob should have looked around a bit more and gotten the 1/8" thick type. But I'm still really happy with it and it MUCH better than my old wavy, unforgiving concrete floor.
                      Ahh, I was thinking of rigid foam. I wonder how that would work.
                      I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• jussi
                        Veteran Member
                        • Jan 2007

Not sure but I'm thinking if it's too thick and you roll something heavy over it, especially the seams, it might snap. Also if I'm not sure the foam itself is a vapor barrier so you would still have to add that.

Originally posted by Cochese
                        Ahh, I was thinking of rigid foam. I wonder how that would work.

Comment

• poolhound
                          Veteran Member
                          • Mar 2006
                          • Phoenix, AZ
                          • BT3100

If you are in the garage do you have an outside wall and room to potentially create an external closet? Thats my plan and as you work mostly with the doors open you will have no problems with the make up air issue. I should get mine started in a week or two and you will see how it goes.

Originally posted by jussi

Yah the dc does miss alot of the fine dust. But fortunately I work with garage doors open so that helps.

I hadn't really thought of a dc closet. Space is a premium and I doubt I would have the space but I'll look into it and see. Thanks for the suggestion.
                          Jon

Phoenix AZ - It's a dry heat

We all make mistakes and I should know I've made enough of them
                          techzibits.com

Comment

• jussi
                            Veteran Member
                            • Jan 2007

Originally posted by poolhound
                            If you are in the garage do you have an outside wall and room to potentially create an external closet? Thats my plan and as you work mostly with the doors open you will have no problems with the make up air issue. I should get mine started in a week or two and you will see how it goes.
                            There's about 5 ft from the wall of the garage to the neighbor but unfortunately it's taken up by wood storage and a small shed. Plus one of the main reasons I have the dc in the middle is to minimize the ducting length. I'm not sure what the dust collection will be like if I have significantly lengthen the runs. But I'm curious to see your set up when you get it up.

Comment

Working...