• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Irwin above and beyond consumer service

Most here know that I am not one to have much good to say about big businesses but this week one got my attention. I contacted Irwin tool support earlier this month requesting information from them concerning my older Quick Grip Bar Clamps. Over the years I have lost some of the soft rubber pads on the clamps and was having trouble deciphering the old vrs new part numbers. All that I expected was a new part number and maybe if I was lucky a source of the pads. My request was promptly answered by Maryjane at Rubgermaid Commecial Products Consumer Care instructing me to send a photo of my clamps. That done I quickly recieved a message from Maryjane requesting my shipping address for my replacement pads. I provided the address and explained that I was requesting the vendor name to purchase them from and did not expect Irwin to repace my pads for free. 4 sets of the proper clamp pads arrived today, courtesy of Irwin. Who would have thought it? They have earned my respect!
    Thank you Irwin and Maryjane.
    capncarl
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

I'll post the part #s later for those with the older bar clamps in need of pads.

Comment

• JoeyGee
      Veteran Member
      • Nov 2005
      • Sylvania, OH, USA.
      • BT3100-1

Great to know. Thanks for sharing. I have 2 older style Quick Grip clamps that I love. No idea if the newer style is better or worse, I just really like the ones I have. Good to know I'll get service if I need it.
      Joe

Comment

• Condoman44
        Established Member
        • Nov 2013
        • CT near Norwich
        • Ryobi BT3000

I have been using the Irwin speed bits that come in a folding plastic holder for the bits. Last year, November I think, the case finally broke beyond my repair. I had already fixed one hinge in the past. I contacted Irwin via the web site to request where I could buy a new case.

The response was to send a new case at no cost. I moved that company up a few notches in my regard for how to do big business the correct way.

Comment

• Stytooner
          Roll Tide RIP Lee
          • Dec 2002
          • Robertsdale, AL, USA.
          • BT3100

They sell vise grip products too. I can say I have never been disappointed with any Irwin purchase.
          Lee

Comment

• russde
            Forum Newbie
            • Aug 2013

Originally posted by I saw that!
            Are their Marples blades worthwhile?
            I've got one of their 50 tooth (I think, it's a combo blade) that does a superb job as an 'all arounder'.
            R

Comment

• cwsmith
              Veteran Member
              • Dec 2005
              • NY Southern Tier, USA.
              • BT3100-1

Originally posted by I saw that!
              Are their Marples blades worthwhile?
              Their saw blades are terrific, but I'm not sure about their chisels as I've seen a couple of negative discussion about them a few years ago when one purchaser had one crack. Those were made in China, looked just like the older ones.

I bought a set of four back in 2003. These were the 'older' "Made in Sheffield England". Although they seem to stain more than my Narex chisels, they do seem to hold their edge fairly well. I mostly use them for just utility and rough stuff; and the handles and iron caps have held up well. I think that's all they were designed for anyway... for the contractor trade.

Other than that, the few Irwin tools that I own have served well.

CWS
              Last edited by cwsmith; 01-24-2015, 07:23 PM. Reason: Reading challenged, it appears.
              Think it Through Before You Do!

Comment

• Cochese
                Veteran Member
                • Jun 2010

The Marples blades that have gotten good reviews are made in Italy. Yes, I enjoy mine quite well. In fact, I will probably gradually replace my Freud blades with the Marples. The 24T rip and the 12" 96T in the miter saw have been fantastic.

Haven't been too big of a fan of the parallel clamps.
                I have a little blog about my shop

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

The Irwin bar clamp replacement pads # is 1826578. This is for the small size, not the mini. My clamp actually says from the maker of vice grip.
                  The Irwin # for the larger clamp is # 1826577. It is not exactly like the original but it fits nicely. I've never seen them in a store for sale but have seen them online but could not cross reference them to my clamp. Now we know!
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...