• Show
Clear All
  • Neal
    Established Member
    • Apr 2012
    • Williamstown, WV (Mid Ohio Valley)
    • Ryobi BT3000

Triton Routers

Does anyone have any experience or would like to offer insight on Triton's plunge routers. I am seriously considering the 2HP model for my router table, as I think the 3HP would be a little to big. I have a couple of fixed base routers currently, and they work well, but would like to have a plunge base router for my table and possibly some hand held work.

Just curious to see if anyone has anything good or bad to say about them.

THanks,
  • atgcpaul
    Veteran Member
    • Aug 2003
    • Maryland
    • Grizzly 1023SLX

I have the 3HP Triton in my TS router table extension. I have not used it for free hand work. I use my Bosch for that.

I have used the Bosch in my router table but adjusting the height and changing the bits was not as nice as the Triton. I just permanently left the fixed based mounted in the table. I'd have to remove the router from the table to do that. The Triton extends the collet far enough for you to change the bit above the table--very nice. The macro knob to make the height adjustment is very nice, too. I don't know if these features exist on the 2HP model, though. IIRC, when I mounted the Triton in my table, I had to remove the plunge springs. I'm not sure if that's a requirement but it makes height adjustments easier because you don't have the springs fighting you. If it's required, then when you change it from table to plunge, it's going to be a PITA every time.

There's a lot of plastic on the Triton. I like the rubbery, hand-molded grip that comes with Bosch plunge base. The round Triton knobs don't seem as comfortable, but I have not used mine free hand so maybe I'm wrong. The Triton has a safety conscious on-off switch which IMO wouldn't be as convenient to use as the Bosch simple rocker switch when you're going free hand.

I bought my Bosch about 10 years ago and got the Triton 6+ years ago. I do much more free hand routing than table routing. If I had to do it all over again, I'd still get the Bosch first (1617evspk). IMO it's the most versatile of the two. Later when you want to add another tool, get the Triton for table work.

Paul

Comment

• Carpenter96
      Established Member
      • Aug 2011
      • Barrie ON Canada
      • BT 3000

I have the 3.25 HP Triton for table work. It works wonderfully. I have Two 3.25 RE600 Ryobi routers that I use for most jobs other than laminate trimming.

Regards Bob

Comment

• jaybee
        Established Member
        • Feb 2006
        • Regina, SK, Canada
        • BT3100-1

You may want to check out Ray's reviews:

known as "rayintheuk" and well respected here.

Comment

• Knottscott
          Veteran Member
          • Dec 2004
          • Rochester, NY.
          • 2008 Shop Fox W1677

I don't know too much about the Triton, other than that they've fixed the gear issues the early units had by switching to a metal gear, and that it's one of the few on the market that have a full compliment of topside conveniences. AFAIK, the Freud FT1700 and FT3000 have both been discontinued, leaving only the Tritons that have comparable features. The collet extends through the table, and has an auto collet lock, topside height adjustment, and a topside height lock that allow one handed topside bit changes.

With that said, I have a terrific Milwaukee 5625 that's a beast, but the user friendly topside features of my Freud FT1700 are the primary reason it stays in my router table most of the time. As good as the 5625 is, the FT1700 is just much easier to use, and I suspect the Triton will have similar benefits.
          Happiness is sort of like wetting your pants....everyone can see it, but only you can feel the warmth.

Comment

Working...