• Show
Clear All
  • Sweet Willy
    Established Member
    • May 2011
    • Near Chattanooga, TN
    • ridgid 3650

specialty wrench for pc router

I have an older porter cable router and after eight years I've finally had it with messing with those two dang wrenches to change a bit. Here's what I did today. Hopefully the pictures will help tell the story.

1. I cut a piece of 1/4" ply to fit in the slot in the motor's body.
    2. I pop riveted onto one of the wrenches. NOTE! The ply extends below the wrench in order to slide behind the nut.
    3. Then you slide the ply/wrench combo in between the slot noted earlier.
    4. In the last picture, with the adapted wrench in place and the second wrench on the other nut you really don't need to use two hands.
    Attached Files
    In my old age I look back and realize how lucky I was to live in a time when common sense was common.
    Dennis

Sweet Willy
    sigpic
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Sweet Willy
    You lost me, what is the plywood for? I've made a number of wrenches for routers and grinders using flat cold rolled steel from the hobby sections of HD, Tractor Supply and Lowes. Grinder with a razor disk and lots of filing makes a fine wrench!

Comment

• phrog
      Veteran Member
      • Jul 2005
      • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Sweet Willy, I have the same router with the same problem. Think I'll use your approach when I have time. Thanks for sharing.
      Richard

Comment

• phrog
        Veteran Member
        • Jul 2005
        • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
        Sweet Willy
        You lost me, what is the plywood for? I've made a number of wrenches for routers and grinders using flat cold rolled steel from the hobby sections of HD, Tractor Supply and Lowes. Grinder with a razor disk and lots of filing makes a fine wrench!
        There is a gap between the top nut and the body of the router into which the wrench always falls. The plywood will take up that space. In other words, the wrench isn't thick enough. Sorry Sweet Willy, didn't mean to step on your turf.
        Last edited by phrog; 02-23-2015, 10:06 AM.
        Richard

Comment

• capncarl
          Veteran Member
          • Jan 2007
          • Leesburg Georgia USA
          • SawStop CTS

I totally understand now. Wrench not thick enough.
          capncarl

Comment

• phrog
            Veteran Member
            • Jul 2005
            • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by capncarl
            I totally understand now. Wrench not thick enough.
            capncarl
            I think he also made it close to the dimension of a "slot" in the base so that it will not rotate when changing bits. Therefore, he doesn't have to hold it.
            Richard

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

When I was at the woodworking show, I looked at some "tooless" collets for routers. This to me, just shows how much money would be wasted on that, for a scrappy solution.
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• phrog
                Veteran Member
                • Jul 2005
                • Chattanooga, TN, USA.

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                When I was at the woodworking show, I looked at some "tooless" collets for routers. This to me, just shows how much money would be wasted on that, for a scrappy solution.
                How in the world do you tighten it enough to be safe without tools?
                Richard

Comment

• capncarl
                  Veteran Member
                  • Jan 2007
                  • Leesburg Georgia USA
                  • SawStop CTS

I like Sweet Willys idea. As far as the tool less router bit holder goes, you really don't appreciate how tight it needs to be until a router bit comes out while you are using it.

Comment

• JoeyGee
                    Veteran Member
                    • Nov 2005
                    • Sylvania, OH, USA.
                    • BT3100-1

I really like that idea, Willy. I seem to bust my knuckles whenever I need to change bits on my PC router.

You should send that in as a tip in one of the magazines and get some cash.
                    Joe

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                      Veteran Member
                      • Feb 2005
                      • Independence, MO, USA.
                      • bt3100

Originally posted by phrog
                      How in the world do you tighten it enough to be safe without tools?
                      If you can find them (these were in one of the tool closeout/HF type sellers), Jacobs powercollets. You pulled up and pushed down to release (not sure I can explain it easier). I know they were discontinued, and caused loss of depth of cut.
                      There is one that is still sold, but not wrenchless, as it uses an allen wrench. I am still leary of these things (why I never bought one), but thought the tech might prove itself one day. (HF still sells router bits, and I have always been leary about them as well, yet I know two people that have bought and used them)
                      She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

Working...