• Show
Clear All
  • capncarl
    Veteran Member
    • Jan 2007
    • Leesburg Georgia USA
    • SawStop CTS

Charity seekers destroy shreader

Dag nap it, we give to a select group of charities on a regular basis, I think that they share our address with other charities. The letters from new charities and extras from the regulars go to the shreader. I think they send us something every day! Last night the shreader choked on one that had a nice shiny penny glued to one of the pages, destroying the center cutters and ruining the machine. I bet they do that on purpose. I wish I knew which one did it so I could send them some of the same junk mail. We discussed stopping all donations for a while and when they call looking for a handout explain the shreader situation tell them to take me off their mail list.
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

I open and check all this kind of mail. (Charity, credit card offers,...) Most of it goes in the recycle bin but any postage paid envelopes get mailed back so they are charged for the postage.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato

Comment

• leehljp
      Just me
      • Dec 2002
      • Tunica, MS
      • BT3000/3100

My mother in law made a political donation back in the '90s and since then said she will never do that again - for the same reasons you mentioned! Never ending and more and more organizations sending solicitations.

Back in '92, while I was home on furlough for 6 months, I ordered some clippers for LOML to cut my hair when we were overseas where it cost about $40 - $50 for a cut. When I received it, they had a mistake in my name.

At my stateside address, I started receiving ads, sales pitches and even credit card applications with the same misspelled name, and that continued through 2000, 2001.

Capn - so you found the bad penny! I will tell my cousin. She says I always turn up like a bad penny! "Bad Penny" might be a Southern expression.
      Last edited by leehljp; 03-02-2015, 08:38 PM.
      Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• Pappy
        The Full Monte
        • Dec 2002
        • San Marcos, TX, USA.
        • BT3000 (x2)

Got a new one in the mail today. One of the Seton hospitals my wife was in for a few days sent her a letter asking for a donation!
        Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

• Black wallnut
          cycling to health
          • Jan 2003
          • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
          • BT3k 1999

I feel the same way about all the crap AARP keeps sending me.
          Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• radhak
            Veteran Member
            • Apr 2006
            • Miramar, FL
            • Right Tilt 3HP Unisaw

Why are you guys shredding junk mail?

Mine goes straight to the recycleable - at least most of it. Only stuff that comes from my banks (have two) is opened and selectively shredded - just the form page that allows me to apply for new loan/card etc - all the rest into the blue bin. My shredder only does light duty. My recycle-able bin is always brimming.

I know, we have heard of identity theft et al, but junk mail, coming from people who you lifted your information from publicly available sources, don't have anything confidential (ie, the thieves could easily lift that info from the same sources).

The only time I spend before junking any mail is to ensure I know exactly where it's coming from - to avoid losing important stuff. So yes, some minutes gone in opening, scanning, and discarding, but not too bad; nothing that I'd allow myself to get worked up about.
            Last edited by radhak; 03-03-2015, 05:38 AM.
            It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it.
            - Aristotle

Comment

• capncarl
              Veteran Member
              • Jan 2007
              • Leesburg Georgia USA
              • SawStop CTS

We had been shredding everything. The mail to be shredded accumulates in a plastic box for a week or so, just in case, and shreaded when it builds up enough to bug my wife. The shredding go into my composter. No particular reason security wise. The shreader WAS a fairly heavy duty machine I picked up at a good price, about the same price as a run of them mill cheapie, when one of the office supply places closed. That's the main reason I was ticked off, it would take $300 to replace it.
              capncarl

Comment

• lrr
                Established Member
                • Apr 2006
                • Fort Collins, Colorado
                • Ryobi BT-3100

Originally posted by Black wallnut
                I feel the same way about all the crap AARP keeps sending me.
                I think AARP is worst. I finally called them last year and demanded to be removed from their mailings. I was spending too much time stuffing their mailing back into the return envelope.

They told me it would take as much as 6 months! Now that I think about it, we are no longer getting their junk mail. Must have worked!

As bad are DishTV or DirecTV (likely Comcast too). They will do little to keep existing customers, acted surprised when you switch, and mail you letters wanting you back forever.
                Lee

Comment

• LinuxRandal
                  Veteran Member
                  • Feb 2005
                  • Independence, MO, USA.
                  • bt3100

Originally posted by radhak
                  Why are you guys shredding junk mail?
                  Because the letter carriers won't insert third class mail into a trash can mounted to the post. I come in the door and it is in hand, with the shredder right below me (insert and done). It also adds junk in case anyone would try to collect the shredded bits (more work for them).

The ONLY way to do charity work, IMHO, is to give anonymously. Between my work being hit up, and people hitting up some of us who know several people, trying to get to them, that is the ONLY way I will do it (cash, USPS money order, etc).
                  She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• capncarl
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2007
                    • Leesburg Georgia USA
                    • SawStop CTS

I believe that if I lived in a colder climate like a bunch of you guy with 10' of show do, I could heat my house on junk mail. Send off for all kinds of info and keep the postal service humming keeping my heater burning!

AARP? I've long since dropped the NRA. Not disagreeing with what they stand for, but, After receiving junk mail with shipping cost worth 10x what my subscription fees were, I doubt their business ethics.
                    capncarl

Comment

• Pappy
                      The Full Monte
                      • Dec 2002
                      • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                      • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                      Because the letter carriers won't insert third class mail into a trash can mounted to the post.
                      That would be both time consuming for the carrier to try to sort a customers mail as well as illegal. And the first time you complained that he threw away a piece of mail you wanted, he would get fired.
                      Don, aka Pappy,

Plato

Comment

Working...