• Show
Clear All
  • Pappy
    The Full Monte
    • Dec 2002
    • San Marcos, TX, USA.
    • BT3000 (x2)

OLD Timers

A couple of postings in Poolhound's 2,500 milestone thread got me wondering what happened to some of the original members. I am not looking to start a check in thread for all the nearly 20,000 members, but would like to find out what has happened to some of the ones that were around from the first few months that no longer participate. I know a couple have passed away and a few have quit due to conflicts with others. Luckily, instances have been few and far between in both catagories.

Going through the member's list quickly, I could find a few people that have a join date of 12-27-2002. That was the first official day for SamCondor.com, which became BT3Central.

Other than me, the original members on that first day included:

Sam Conder
    Rod Kirby
    Loring
    Hank Lee
    Stytooner
    Ken Able
    Ken Massingale

I am sure I missed a couple and there were a LOT of registrations in the first few days after that. The 'new' forum had been discussed extensively on the old Ryobi User Forum and everyone was anxious to find a new home away from the tech problems we were having on the Ryobi site.

Of that list Loring, Stytooner, Hank, and I are still active. I know Sam bowed out after years of hard work and devotion to the site in order to spend more time with the family and some other pursuits, but still checks in from time to time. Rod responded to a thread in January, but hadn't been around much for a year or so before that. Neither of the Kens have been heard from in a while.
    Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
    Fools because they have to say something.
    Plato
  • twistsol
    Veteran Member
    • Dec 2002
    • Cottage Grove, MN, USA.
    • Ridgid R4512, 2x ShopSmith Mark V 520, 1951 Shopsmith 10ER

I guess I'm a newbie ... I didn't register until 12/31/2002
    Chr's

Comment

• stoli
      Forum Newbie
      • Dec 2002
      • Tucson, AZ.

My join date is 12/29. Still look in from the outside, but I replaced my bt3k station with a sawstop a couple years back. Still have an old one in the corner for dados.

Comment

• Black wallnut
        cycling to health
        • Jan 2003
        • Ellensburg, Wa, USA.
        • BT3k 1999

There will be a time when members look back and reminisce about the upgrade we are about to do.
        Donate to my Tour de Cure

marK in WA and Ryobi Fanatic Association State President ©

Head servant of the forum

©

Comment

• leehljp
          Just me
          • Dec 2002
          • Tunica, MS
          • BT3000/3100

Originally posted by twistsol
          I guess I'm a newbie ... I didn't register until 12/31/2002
          Slowpoke!
          Hank Lee

Experience is what you get when you don't get what you wanted!

Comment

• billwmeyer
            Veteran Member
            • Feb 2003
            • Weir, Ks, USA.
            • BT3000

2/14/2003 is my join date. I remember being excited when I heard of it on the Ryobi site.
            "I just dropped in to see what condition my condition was in."-Kenny Rogers

Comment

• LinuxRandal
              Veteran Member
              • Feb 2005
              • Independence, MO, USA.
              • bt3100

The Monte part had me wondering. Didn't his grandson or nephew post here for a bit, after he passed? I seem to remember one, and wonder how life has been getting on and if he uses any of the old tools.
              Some days, I get to looking at/for something and either check ones I have subscribed to, or by the search function and see so many of the names before. Then I sometimes hit something where Jeff was in there, and my wallet is probably happier we don't see him post anymore (course the deals aren't what they were either, or maybe he had a way of finding them).
              She couldn't tell the difference between the escape pod, and the bathroom. We had to go back for her.........................Twice.

Comment

• Ken Massingale
                Veteran Member
                • Dec 2002
                • Liberty, SC, USA.
                • Ridgid TS3650

Hey!! I'm here, I have learned to keep my mouth shut. (Mostly) :-)

Comment

• Pappy
                  The Full Monte
                  • Dec 2002
                  • San Marcos, TX, USA.
                  • BT3000 (x2)

Originally posted by LinuxRandal
                  The Monte part had me wondering. Didn't his grandson or nephew post here for a bit, after he passed? I seem to remember one, and wonder how life has been getting on and if he uses any of the old tools.
                  I am pretty sure it was his grandson. He told us of Monte's passing and stayed around for a while.
                  Don, aka Pappy,

Wise men talk because they have something to say,
                  Fools because they have to say something.
                  Plato

Comment

• TB Roye
                    Veteran Member
                    • Jan 2004
                    • Sacramento, CA, USA.
                    • BT3100

I think I remember a year or so ago Rod post that he had cancer of the colon and had the surgery and the bag and that he was home adjusting. That was the last I remember a post from him. I joined in January of 04 after I had retired and bought my BT3100. I bought a lot of woodworking tools from recommendation from the gang including my HF Bandsaw and Drill press which are still being used today. Now as I have gotten older some of my interest have changed and age is catching up with me. I still do some projects the just take longer so the tools still are getting used. Used the BT3 along with the Dewalt 10" dual sliding compound miter saw to lay 200 sq.ft. of Pergo with another 300 to qo later this spring and summer when we knock the wall down between the lining/room and family and go for the open concept. Already have Pergo in the Family room so will have pull it up and relay it so the plank line up in living room. Will be using the BT3,Dewalt and the Big Green Router in the router table next to make baseboard for the hall and bedroom now that the floor is layed. also install new doors in all the rooms. Wait a minuet I thought I slowed down. I can either blame or thank you all every thing I have bought and what I learned from over the years so Thanks Guys and I still have all ten the Shark Guard still works.

Tom

Comment

• scmhogg
                      Veteran Member
                      • Jan 2003
                      • Simi Valley, CA, USA.
                      • BT3000

I joined 1/16/2003. I still check in almost every day. I still use my BT3000, with original belts and shims. Just lucky, I guess.

Steve
                      I would never die for my beliefs because I might be wrong. Bertrand Russell

Comment

• Whaler
                        Veteran Member
                        • Dec 2002
                        • Sequim, WA, USA.
                        • DW746

I joined on 12-27-2002 and have really enjoyed being a member here. I haven't done any woodworking in over a year and shut the shop down this past summer but I still stop in a couple times a week to see what is happening.
                        Dick

http://www.picasaweb.google.com/rgpete2/

Comment

• bigstick509
                          Veteran Member
                          • Dec 2004
                          • Macomb, MI, USA.
                          • BT3100

I'm a relative newbie with a join date of 12/22/04 but have enjoyed and learned a lot from all the original members. Still the best woodworking forums IMHO. Good to see you pop in Dick, always enjoyed your posts with great pens and photography.

Mike

"It's not the things you don't know that will hurt you, it's the things you think you know that ain't so." - Mark Twain

Comment

• KenBurris
                            Established Member
                            • Jan 2003
                            • Cincinnati, OH, USA.

still lurking

I didn't use my saw much (inexperience), last time a few years ago I managed to produce "magic smoke". But I check out things every so often, and check on the "family".

I joined 2 days before Mark (1/3/03),and share a birthday with Pappy (I'm a year older)

hope you're doing better, Pappy
                            Ken in Cincinnati

Pretend this line says something extremely witty

Comment

Working...